Our Expert Review: 1997 Bmw Z 3

Fun to drive!

by from Virginia Beach, VA on December 23, 2010

Recently purchased a 1997 BMW Z3 Roadster for pleasure. This car is an absolute joy to drive! Handling is fantastic and acceleration is great! I drove the car from Virginia Beach, VA to Salt Lake City, UT and back again, without any hiccups. I highly recommend this vehicle as a pleasure car, but not as a primary vehicle.. Pros - Acceleration, handling, HWY fuel economy, comfortable Cons - Virtually no trunk space, very small cup holders, sun visors do not rotate to side windows.

Reliable Car

by from New Market, MD on December 28, 2010

Overall great. So was the seller. Fun car to drive. Really great styling. The price was very reasonable.

WHAT A DRIVING PLEASURE !!

by from OHIO on March 12, 2013

I HAVE PREVIOUSLY OWNED 2 CORVETTES IN MY YOUNGER DAYS. I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 1998 Z3 W/ 43,000 ORIGINAL MILES FOR UNDER $10,500. I AM THE SECOND OWNER. WOW WHAT A DRIVING MACHINE. IT HAS BROUGHT ME TONS OF COMPLIMENTS THAT REALLY MAKES ME KNOW THAT I MADE A WISE CHOICE ! NO I AM NOT SUFFERING A MID-LIFE CRISIS,AT THE AGE OF 66 I AM ENJOYING MY LIFE. WE ALL DESERVE THAT FEELING !!! IF YOU EVER HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY 2 BUY ONE DO IT. YOU OWE YOURSELF THAT MUCH... DO IT!!

Great fun car

by from Mississippi Delta on October 20, 2011

I have owned four "sports cars" in my life, and this one is the best and most fun to drive. Handling is superb, the 2.8 engine has plenty of punch for the size of the car. The 5 speed standard transmission is tight and precise. I could not be more pleased.

The Magic Carpet Lives

by from S.W. Michigan on December 14, 2011

Five years ago I sold my Honda VF 1100 Sabre motor cycle and bought this '97 2.8 liter Z and have never looked back. This is "car art." People in parking lots come over to me and tell me, "Great car!" It drives as good as it looks. I updated the sound system with a new Sony CD/AM-FM unit. You can slam this car around corners without restraint, however I spend much of my driving time just cruising. This roadster does not ride very well in snow, which doesn't matter to me because I store it winters. 110,000 miles and runs like it's new.

Most fun car I ever owned

by from PA on November 17, 2013

After years of trying to convince my wife that we should get a sports car to drive on nice weekends, it finally happened. My BMW Z3 looked great in the add photos, but to my surprise was just as good in person. And driving fun is a 10 out of 10. Wish I would have done this sooner. I am well past my mid life crisis. Now I see what BMW owners see in their cars. This car is a 1997 and standing 3 feet away, it looks like new. Runs like new and outstanding performance. Mine only has 86k miles on it and the engine compartment looks like the day it was manufactured. I hope to have many years of fun with this car.

Great Find!

by from McLean, VA on December 2, 2013

I've been searching for a clean, well-kept vintage BMW Z3 for years. Finally found one. Just 100K miles - well broken in. Love the looks, feel, safety and performance!

Great Fun In The Sun

by from Weare, NH on August 8, 2016

This car was a good find for the money. It handles the road like nothing I've driven before. It holds the road, corners on a dime and gives you 9 cents change. This is the 3rd vehicle that I've found on cars.com in the last 2 years.

road and car driver

by from florida on October 25, 2010

amateur car machanics say this is a very safe and an extremey safe car. race car buffs say the sme thing.......safe........reliable...dependable

Similar Models

Select up to three models to compare with the 1997 bmw z3

1997 Saab 900
Starting MSRP $25,470

You have selected maximum of 3 cars

Remove one of these cars to add others or compare the below cars now.