1998 BMW Z3 Consumer Reviews

1998 Bmw Z 3
Average based on 14 reviews

Future Classic: Great value, few problems

by from Easton PA on November 14, 2010

I own a 98 1.9 manual transmission. I was smitten by the car's looks when they first came out and bought one about three years ago as they are now affordable. Strengths. The z3 roadsters look kind of like a super car (the funky looking z3 coupes are an accquired taste) and practically every day someone tells me that it's a 'beautiful car.' The z3 seems to evoke more of a positive response than the (in my opinion) uglier z4 that followed. The z3 1.9 is comparable to a Miata-but faster-in the classic roadster sense. It's not blazingly fast, so you will not win many drag races, but in the curves it has amazing grip. The steering has good feel and the ZF shifter feels great. You don't want a 1.9 automatic and in general autos are not among BMW's strongest parts. Opt for the manual if you can drive one-trust me it's a pleasure. While test driving, I also drove a 2.3 (not much difference from the 1.9) and the 2.8 which was quick and a lot of fun. I hear the 3.0 is practically as fast as the M which is Corvette fast. Still, I'm happy with my 1.9. It's quick in the bends, although it could use a few more beans. But the gas milage is stupendous-better than a Prius I'll wager. Weaknesses. These cars are reliable with most problems being minor nusiance items. You can find info easily at bimmerforums on the few problem areas like windows, seats and glove compartment doors. The sixs need careful attention to cooling system after 100,000 miles which is pretty common with BMWs. So plan for a radiator/water pump. For a BMW the interior is kind of cheapish-with nasty carpet, but it does come with many luxury features such as cruise, heated seats, power top, harmon kardon, etc. Overall, the Z3 is a classic. Beautiful style coupled with good to great performance from a legendary manufacturer. You can't go wrong if you want a roadster!

A very good handling vehicle.

by from Augusta, GA on July 29, 2009

I have never owned a BMW and never entertained the idea. But my boss had a 2000 when I first met him (7 years ago). I just recently purchased my first Z3. I love it and enjoy driving it. Mostly on the weekends and some times to work. It does draw attention!! But than again it's a BMW!!!

Fun!!!

by from Ontario Canada on January 10, 2012

You will not win an Indy race with this car but would sure look good trying! Fun to drive on a wrm sunny day. Great value for a ragtop roadster.

Fun to drive

by from Howard City Mi. on April 12, 2010

Great car for handling runs strong comfortable on long trip plenty of power like the 5 speed.like the power top.

ENJOY JUST LOOKING AT IT!

by from salem, nh on August 26, 2006

I BOUGHT THE CAR 2 YEARS AGO WITH 95,000 MILES ON IT. IT HAD A COUPLE OF MINOR PROBLEMS AT THE TIME, BUT SINCE THEN IT HAS BEEN PROBLEM-FREE. I STILL ENJOY DRIVING IT AND GETTING LOOKS FROM ENVIOUS PEOPLE.

Power still kicking....

by from Miami on January 18, 2007

Have a 98' 2.8 model, more than 110.000 miles on it, but never has bothered. SUPER reliable... The shape still has a modern look...!!!very easy to drive.

1998 z3 1.9 is THE car for me!

by from St. Louis, MO on August 27, 2011

My 1998 Z3 1.9 manual transmission BMW has all the power I need, terrific handling and I can justify this toy by the fact that I truly get over 30 mpg on midgrade gas. The styling is perfect from any angle. I feel like I have an exotic without the high cost or lack of reliability.

First BMW

by from Lawrence, KS on June 4, 2016

My BMW. 1998 Z3 Roadster. Black and Black. 61,000 well cared for miles. 2.8/manual. Wow.... what a hoot this car is to drive. More power than I need but sure glad it's there when some boy racer shows up in their hopped up Honda. It's fast and handles great. High revving engine takes some getting used to. It's a very pleasant nature of the beast. Quality is top notch. Leather everywhere and wood inserts still look like new. The sound system is very good. Top down driving is fantastic. I love this car.

it's a keeper

by from St. John's, Newfoundland Canada on August 10, 2015

I'm new to the z3. I wanted to do a road trip....one of those bucket list things. I live the most easterly point in Newfoundland, Canada..... Therefore I purchased this car in the most westerly point in Vancouver Canada. I've never sat in a BMW before this but I liked the look..most all reviews were positive...low miles 76000 kms and the price was right. My travels took me from BC Canada...to Las Vegas USA..Denver...Chicago....headed to Detroit...then to Toronto....Montreal....New Brunswick...Nova Scotia ending up in Newfoundland. All in all approx 10,000klm. My intentions was to sell the car after the trip but I was so impressed....its a keeper. Just turn the key and go...l love it.

Great little car

by from Nashville, TN on May 10, 2011

Fun to drive. Gets a lot of looks and wows. I have always wanted one nice car to drive and this one fills the bill.