1998 Bmw Z 3

Future Classic: Great value, few problems

by from Easton PA on November 14, 2010

I own a 98 1.9 manual transmission. I was smitten by the car's looks when they first came out and bought one about three years ago as they are now affordable. Strengths. The z3 roadsters look kind of like a super car (the funky looking z3 coupes are an accquired taste) and practically every day someone tells me that it's a 'beautiful car.' The z3 seems to evoke more of a positive response than the (in my opinion) uglier z4 that followed. The z3 1.9 is comparable to a Miata-but faster-in the classic roadster sense. It's not blazingly fast, so you will not win many drag races, but in the curves it has amazing grip. The steering has good feel and the ZF shifter feels great. You don't want a 1.9 automatic and in general autos are not among BMW's strongest parts. Opt for the manual if you can drive one-trust me it's a pleasure. While test driving, I also drove a 2.3 (not much difference from the 1.9) and the 2.8 which was quick and a lot of fun. I hear the 3.0 is practically as fast as the M which is Corvette fast. Still, I'm happy with my 1.9. It's quick in the bends, although it could use a few more beans. But the gas milage is stupendous-better than a Prius I'll wager. Weaknesses. These cars are reliable with most problems being minor nusiance items. You can find info easily at bimmerforums on the few problem areas like windows, seats and glove compartment doors. The sixs need careful attention to cooling system after 100,000 miles which is pretty common with BMWs. So plan for a radiator/water pump. For a BMW the interior is kind of cheapish-with nasty carpet, but it does come with many luxury features such as cruise, heated seats, power top, harmon kardon, etc. Overall, the Z3 is a classic. Beautiful style coupled with good to great performance from a legendary manufacturer. You can't go wrong if you want a roadster!

Power still kicking....

by from Miami on January 18, 2007

Have a 98' 2.8 model, more than 110.000 miles on it, but never has bothered. SUPER reliable... The shape still has a modern look...!!!very easy to drive.

First BMW

by from Lawrence, KS on June 4, 2016

My BMW. 1998 Z3 Roadster. Black and Black. 61,000 well cared for miles. 2.8/manual. Wow.... what a hoot this car is to drive. More power than I need but sure glad it's there when some boy racer shows up in their hopped up Honda. It's fast and handles great. High revving engine takes some getting used to. It's a very pleasant nature of the beast. Quality is top notch. Leather everywhere and wood inserts still look like new. The sound system is very good. Top down driving is fantastic. I love this car.

A very good handling vehicle.

by from Augusta, GA on July 29, 2009

I have never owned a BMW and never entertained the idea. But my boss had a 2000 when I first met him (7 years ago). I just recently purchased my first Z3. I love it and enjoy driving it. Mostly on the weekends and some times to work. It does draw attention!! But than again it's a BMW!!!

1998 z3 1.9 is THE car for me!

by from St. Louis, MO on August 27, 2011

My 1998 Z3 1.9 manual transmission BMW has all the power I need, terrific handling and I can justify this toy by the fact that I truly get over 30 mpg on midgrade gas. The styling is perfect from any angle. I feel like I have an exotic without the high cost or lack of reliability.

Fun to drive

by from Howard City Mi. on April 12, 2010

Great car for handling runs strong comfortable on long trip plenty of power like the 5 speed.like the power top.

Most enjoyable automobile I have ever owned !

by from Simsbury CT on May 9, 2017

I have owned "countless" types of vehicles over the past 55 years but this is the most pleasing and enjoyable experience of them !!! I absolutely Love this Car !!!

My favorite car I've ever owned

by from Tampa, FL on April 27, 2017

Love this car. Such a beautiful design, and a great engine. Lots of fun having the convertible top. Fairly easy on gas.

Great sports car

by from Littleton on May 17, 2017

Best sports car I've owned. Still tight and running well after 100k miles. I can see why owners keep these for 200k miles.

FUN/ Fantastic looking "Soon to be classic" style

by from on October 25, 2016

Owned a 1998 Z3 1.9 for many years as my Sunday / Funday driver and I can;t say enough about the reliability and the looks of this vehicle.