2001 Z3

2001 BMW Z3

2001 BMW Z3

4 out of 5 stars Comfort
5 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 2001 BMW Z3?

Oh, my, YES!

by first-roadster from Richardson (Dallas) Texas on Wed Mar 03 2010

2001 BMW Z3 2.5i Roadster, Sienna Red, Steptronic. I've never owned a true sports car (2 seater convertible), although I've had many high performance vehicles in my long life. I also never had a BMW before. I must say that this is the most "fun to drive" car I've ever had. Don't buy one if you like to listen to the stereo while you drive, but do buy one if you like the wind in your hair (if you have hair, I don't), quick acceleration, great handling and a wonderful exhaust sound! The mileage is good but not great, and getting in and out is a bit difficult for an aging and overweight 6 footer. But I never turn down the chance to steal this car from my wife (it's supposed to be hers) and take it out for a drive that always involves going the long way there and a longer way back. I love this car!

Best Roadster ever

by Middah from Cumming, Ga. on Mon Feb 27 2012

I have owned several sports cars over the years but none compare to my bmw 2001 Z3 3.0i. I have wanted one ever since they first came out. They were priced way over my budget when they were new. The used price made the car attainable. I chose the 3.0i automatic after driving several others. The steptronic transmission is awesome. When it is in sport mode it automatically takes the car right up to the red line before shifting for maximum acceleration. The handling is super on all models. I had considered a newer z4 but have never been able to warm up to what they did with the design. The classic look of the Z3 is a work of art. The interior refinements of the 01 and 02 are worth searching for. The 225 hp 3.0i has all the acceleration needed to make it a blast to drive. It even gets better gas milage than the smaller 6s. I got lucky and found one within 10 miles of my house. If I ever had to buy another one I would be willing to drive several hundred miles and pay more than its book value to get it. It is that fun to drive!

Just right

by Z3 4 ME from Northern Virginia on Thu Apr 17 2014

I was looking for a fun second car - it had to be: 1) convertible - check, 2) stick shift - check, 3) fun to drive - check, 4) great looking - check, and 5) affordable to buy and to own - check. I looked at lots of convertibles, typically 5-15 years old, and one by one, each one but the Z3 fell away: Jaguar XK8 and Plymouth Prowler - beautiful, but no stick shift; Mercedes SLK - pretty, fun to drive, but too expensive; Porsche Boxter - fun to drive, but weird dimensions make it not very pretty; Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder - pretty, but such awful reviews. My 2001 Z3 2.5i makes me smile every time I get into her. She's got the elemental sportiness that a roadster should, but with the comfort and road manners that make her comfortable for a long drive. The 2.5 liter 6-cylinder has plenty of punch, and man, does she shine on the twisty roads! I can't recommend her highly enough.

Z3

by Gary from Monroe NY on Fri Nov 12 2010

I have always liked the Z3 styling from the first time I saw one. Now after having one for the last 3 months, it has lived up to my expectations. It is fun to drive, especially with the top down. It has sufficient power & has great road handling and looks great.

A Good Car for the Money

by Z3 Advocate from Central California on Wed Nov 10 2010

If you are willing to be selective, a used Z3 can be a lot of value for the money. The 3.0 liter has plenty of power, the handling is excellent--more sure-footed that the Miata's I've owned, and a good deal easier to manage than the Boxster S that preceded it.

fun fun fun

by PHATZ z3 from Tucson Arizona on Wed Mar 25 2015

I looked hi an low for my baby. finally found it in new mexico. had to bribe the wife, she got her horse and i got my coupe. every time i drive it i cannot stop grinning from ear to ear as it is that fun to drive. it only comes out in good weather.

Best value for the best car I have had in my life

by TRADEWIN from Montreal, QC, CANADA on Wed Jan 30 2008

I had, Toyota, Celica, Firebird 77, Pontiac Fiero 84, Honda Accord 88, Acura Vigor,VW Jetta 2000, and my best one is my BMW Z3 Every weeks somebody will telling me that I have a very nice car. Nobody can tell the year but it is a 2001 BMW Z3 with the M kit. Motor is the 3 litter, and I love the sound of this motor. Seat are the sport one (series M kit) This is very confortable, full options like top, eather seat. It is my best experience on drive, more you go fast on the way more you like the car. If you want a good feeling on diriving a car this is the one you need. it is a lot better than a porche, Mieta. I never had problem with this car, I just put oil that's all. millage is now 20000 miles. Mine is not for sale at kelly blue book value I will never leave this car for a price under 32000$ and I expect to keep this car the rest of my live. It is a real gift for me

It's "The ultimate driving machine"

by BMWGIRRRRRL from Vacaville, CA on Tue Jun 06 2017

I love driving this car! Even though it's a 2001 it retains its new car smell. I have the only red BMW Z3 in my town and the top down is pure heaven. I have enjoyed this car so much....not a single regret buying it sight unseen!

Fun, Fun, Fun

by AlexxAnesthetic from Sand Springs, OK on Fri May 20 2016

First thing's first, and this goes without saying, the car is absolutely gorgeous. I found my 2001 2.5i on a Chevy lot, and it blew all of the modern designs of the new lines of Chevy out of the water. (except for the new 'vette, which the previous owner traded the z3 in for) Prior to buying this car, I only had practical experience driving a manual. It was years since I last tried. But within a week, I had it down with the Z3. This car performs so well, you can't help but drive it. The vehicle's handling is superb. You could do a turn on a dime with this thing, and NOW I understand why U turns and curved roads are just so darn fun to drive on. Nice low purr to the engine. The dealers told me the convertible top didn't work, but after actually reading the car's manual, I found out it worked just fine. The ride is smooth and the cabin noise is minimal. I'm not looking forward to the eventual repairs that I know are necessary for a 15 year old car, but I'll definitely thoroughly enjoy every day up until then. A couple of cons with my particular vehicle: Passenger side door won't open from the outside. In the car's maintenance history, there's a work order that showed repairing the door would be a $600 job that required disassembly of the whole door. Also, there's a slight leak in the roof on the passenger side. The CD player skips on bumpy roads. Also, the shift from 1st to 2nd is a little rough. Minor inconveniences for a ride this exciting.

Awesome 01 Z3

by My 1st BMW from Northwest Mississippi on Sun Sep 22 2013

I bought this car new in Feb '02, sight unseen. Best buy I ever made. I have never had a more reliable car. I now have barely over 50,000 on it. Got married about 10 years ago and since have lost it to my (not so) new bride. She loves it. Easy to park, maneuver, good MPG for a sports car. Absolutely nothing I dislike and after nearly 12 years, I really do not think I will part with it. Just thinking out loud.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2001 BMW Z3

The roadster, perhaps the purest form of sports car, endures, even as it seems to be ceaselessly tweaked. Take the latest version of the "entry level" drop top in BMW's Z3 stable, the 2.5i. We have come a long way from the days of the beautiful 507.

When last we tested a 2.5, it was called a 2.3 - a complication of nomenclature that belied the fact that the 2.3 did, in fact, have a six-cylinder, 2.5-liter engine. That one produced 170 horsepower and was a respectable little zipster on the road.

It sure was an improvement on the original four-cylinder, 1.9-liter engine it replaced. Now comes the 2.5i engine, tweaked to produce 184 horsepower. It's not the M Coupe, but what is?

The result is... Read More