2018 Envision

2018 Buick Envision

2018 Buick Envision

Have You Driven the 2018 Buick Envision?

Great for the price

by SamS from Wilton on Thu May 24 2018

Since the 2019 model year for this vehicle which changed the transmission and added an on/off switch for the start/stop technology launched in May 2018, I bought one of the 2018 models in April 2018 at a huge $13,000 discount on a loaded model, making it cost less than a loaded Chevy Equinox. As reviews stated, it is quite competitive as a near luxury vehicle. While not as luxurious as a BMW X3 it competes with, at a price point more than $20,000 less than that BMW makes it a bargain. The car has automatic parking (will park the car for you), crash prevention technology, a turbo engine, a nice interior (almost as nice as the BMW but with a few more hard plastics on the lower part of the doors), and drives particularly well. In fact, driving this car and within the hour test driving an X3 I realized both cars handled particuarly well. I don't get the reviews saying it does not handle well. In fact, in testing by Consumer Reports it showed in acccident avoidance the Envision went through the course faster than the BMW X3, Audi Q5, and Mercedes GLC. For a car that "does not handle all that well" it shows at its limits it can actually handle better than the foreign competition. The car was designed in the US and Europe on the South Korean Delta platform, so the fact it was built in China does not bother me. After 2000 miles of troublefree performance I expect to get at least 10 years out of this vehicle. My last GM car, a 2006 Saab 9-3, lasted almost 12 years and just over 170,000 miles when a tree fell on it - I could have easily broken 200,000 on it if the tree had not happened. I expect the same from this vehicle. I am averaging 24 mpg with the turbo 4 and AWD in mixed driving. My old Saab in comparison averaged 26 mpg which was two mpg better, but it was only front wheel drive. For an SUV to only give up two mpg in driving with AWD is not bad at all. The heads-up display showing how fast you are going, the radio station you are on, and if the cruise control is on or off is useful. The digital dashboard can show mapping instructions if you decide to use the main screen in the dashboard for something else, like XM radio. Wi-fi streaming is useful and works well. At only $20 a month for unlimited data usage it is much better than any of the cell phone plans (you get AT&T's network in the car). I have connected only two phones so far but I am told I can connect up to 7 individuals (car only seats 5). Basically, I got this car at a fire sale price since the 2019s were coming in the next couple of weeks. If you can find a 2018 right now (May 2018) you can get a bargain of a lifetime.

Safest car I've ever driven!!!!

by lucky from Oshkosh, WI on Thu Feb 22 2018

I was recently in an unusual car accident where a loose tire/rim from a truck traveling north on an interstate hit the median, became airborne, and bounced in front of me traveling southbound and shot directly into the windshield of my Buick Encore. I truly believe if I was in a different car, I wouldn't be alive today. The car was totaled. Because of the secure feeling I had in the Encore, I stayed with Buick, and purchased a 2018 Envision. I love this car and all the safety features. Thank you to Buick for being my guardian angel with me that night. :)

I love my new car

by Jason Tutor from Land O Lakes on Tue Feb 27 2018

This vehicle is loaded with a lot of features, it is very roomy and has a lot of cargo room. Defiantly a good buy!

Good car for the money

by Denimdave1 from Fort Wayne , Induana on Sun Mar 31 2019

The Buick Envision is a good car. Easy to drive. Quite ride not much road noise. Plenty of room for a midsize SUV. One problem I have is a vibration in the transmission at speeds 36 thru 39 mph. Service tech at dealership told me it was no problem. Just accelerate thru the vibration mph and it goes away. When I drive it in low gear shifting thru the 6 gears the vibration is minimal or non-existent. In D drive it seems to be getting worse. Will be going to dealership for service soon. Will again bring up vibration problem. Other than that I enjoy driving the vehicle.

Very nice car for the price

by SamS from Wilton CT on Thu Oct 31 2019

We bought this car when the 2019 model was launching with various updates as the 2018 was severely discounted - about 25% under list price. We were testing this car against the BMW X3 and Lexus RX. While the BMW was slightly more sporty, and the Lexus has a reputation for bullet-proof reliability, and both are more luxurious, I could not bring myself to pay more than $13,000 more for a similarly equipped model from either of them. You would need a lot of repairs to make that up as the maintenance cost of the three favors the Buick which is slightly lower, and the EPA gas mileage of the three did not differ by a lot. This car is well designed. All the controls are easy to use with the exception of the seat temperature controls which use a touch screen that is not very responsive. However the voice recognition is fantastic. It understands regular speech and usually can interpret commands even if you don't say them exactly right. The touch display is very good and the split display with the center of the dashboard works well. It is not as good as Audi's $5000 system which turns the instrument cluster into a map, but it does post turns and instructions in the instrument cluster if you are using the radio and not using the map automatically. Is it as nice as Audi? No. Does it work well? Yes. Again, you get what you pay for and that Audi would have cost me $15,000 more than this car. Acceleration is strong and there when you need it. It gets to 60 mph in about 7.0 seconds which is more than enough to merge into traffic. Based on the engine used in Saab before they went under, it is responsive and has very little turbo lag. Changes from the Saab design from GM powertrain include Direct Injection technology and a different header technology but otherwise, similar technologies are used. As I mentioned, I bought this car because the 2019 was coming out and this was on heavy discount. The differences with 2019 are an on/off switch was added for the start-stop feature, a nine speed automatic instead of the six speed, and an ionizer for the A/C system so it can remove pollution better. I wanted the proven six speed automatic as this has been built by GM since 2010 (the design is 8 years old) so all the issues are worked out and it should last a long time. The new 9 speed is a GM/Ford design so the first year could be troublesome - no guarantee, but you are always taking chances with a first year design if you want to keep your car for about 200,000 miles. To me, paying an additional $12,000 to get these three features (and pay almost as much as a BMW X3 or Lexus RX) made no sense at all. After 17 months of ownership have a high mileage of 25,000 miles. So far no issues at all. The stop/start system although you cannot turn it off works unobtrusively with no problems. It means the 2.0L turbo engine gets about 24 mpg in local driving, and about 30 mpg on the highway. I do use premium fuel, but it gets better gas mileage than my 2013 Subaru Legacy which takes regular so the weekly gas cost is actually higher on the Subaru by a few dollars for the same mileage. Although I prefer sedans this mid-size SUV is fine to drive daily. If I had to change anything I would dump the fake port holes they put on almost every Buick (the fake one on the hood I could do without). I would also get rid of the seat controls on the LCD display that does not work well. We like this car a lot for its basic luxury, its quietness for long road trips, its simplicity in operation, and just doing everything well.

Only had the car for a week but completely happy

by Mary M. from Elmira, NY on Sun Mar 17 2019

We owned a Buick before and loved it went to a different company and decided to come back. We are thrilled. The car has all the features anyone would need. The ride is incredible, GM has the best ride always. Love the style and the room is great. Radio sound is amazing also.

Great SUV

by Lady4 from Aurora Co on Thu Feb 21 2019

Love this car, roomy, smooth ride and beautiful. Best kept secret when it comes to SUVS. I have seen very few in Colorado, not sure why, it handles great in the snow.

Car rides very smooth

by Pam Litz from Oconee Il on Fri May 17 2019

This car met all my needs Has all the options I was looking for fuel mileage is great wanted the heated seats and steering wheel

A spectacular SUV

by Super Fan from Lafayette, Louisiana on Sat Dec 08 2018

It is super rummie and drive VERY, VERY good. The colors are also good Think when you purchase this vehicle you will not be sorry.

Super SUV

by Tmacmac from Slidell, LA on Fri Aug 09 2019

Certified Preowned is the way to go! This envision has so many bells & whistles it’s awesome! I was able to get this premium package for less money but still have the warranty! I love the many safety features that come with warnings. Exterior sensors let me know if anything is around my Envision.

1 2 3 4 5