2002 Rendezvous

3.9

Have you driven the 2002 Buick Rendezvous?

115k - great car with one exception

by wendy from Maryland on Mon Oct 04 2010

I bought this 2002 in 2005 for 22k, it had 6k miles on it. Bought from Carmax and bought warranty - glad for that when the engine went at 90k - cost me nothing but I still think unacceptable for 90K. The car runs like new with no other major repairs and I am happy with it but apparently the 2002 had engine troubles so buyer beware!

Loved this car!

by Ashley from Jackson, MI on Thu Jun 06 2013

Being a very picky individual who didn't want to spend a ton on a used SUV, I looked around for a long time before deciding what I wanted. Ultimately, I landed on the Buick Rendezvous due to good experiences with Buicks lasting a long time and the size seemed perfect for my needs. I really wanted a 3rd row, but not a huge vehicle to go along with it since I didn't need the extra seats on a daily basis. The dealership went to the auctions specifically looking for an AWD Rendezvous with a third row and a bench in the middle. They came back with the 2002 CXL model with 80,000 miles which also had a moonroof and heated leather seats. I almost didn't buy it due to the seats, I never liked leather before and was worried about my dogs damaging them. I am so happy that I did. The back was plenty large enough for my dogs to be comfortable and never need to be on the seats, keeping my interior much cleaner. The storage space was great and it was very comfortable to drive which was very important to me as I have back issues and drive a lot. I now feel the need to have a sunroof and heated seats in every vehicle, they were wonderful! The vehicle itself had quite a few miles on it and I did purchase an extended warranty but I never needed to use it. It handled great in the snow without being too big or bulky and met all of my needs perfectly. There were no issues with the engine the entire time that I had it, just regular servicing. I had the brakes and rotars replaced once, but only with an appropriate amount of wear on them. I do believe that the rear wheel bearing were replaced by the dealership before I bought it. I was told that they commonly went out between 70,000 and 90,000 miles so they just went ahead and did that for me. I never had any issues with them and I put another 65,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, this vehicle was totaled in an accident about a year and a half ago. Initially, I tried to find another one but when I couldn't get one "exactly" the same I decided to downsize to get better gas mileage. It didn't take long before I realized how much I missed my Rendezvous and I have started looking for another one again. I have also looked around at other SUVs since the Rendezvous are all older now, but nothing makes me quite as satisfied and I'm likely going to go with an older model Rendezvous instead of a SUV that is currently available.

Best vehicle I've ever owned!!!!

by Old Guy from Des Moines,IA on Tue Oct 19 2010

I own a Rendezvous and am looking for a second one for my wife. We have never owned a better vehicle and couldn't be happier! I bought my 2002 with 78,000 miles and now have 211,000 without any problems. I ahve a CXL with all the comforts including heated seats, heads-up display and a sunroof. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

WONDERFUL CAR!

by Love to Drive from California & Missouri on Wed Dec 12 2012

Car has been driven 197,000 miles. I expect to drive this car to 300,000 miles. I had no repairs,(only maintanence) until it had gone 144,000 miles. I have only spent around $4,000. in repairs since then. The car is solid, paint is great, interior is holding up. It drives like a new car and has never had a breakdown, nor has it ever failed to start. It is a winner.

Requires LOTS of money to maintain.

by A Drive Around Town Only Wife from Florence, AL on Wed May 24 2006

2002 Rendezvous CX -FWD -3rd row -Leather/cloth mix -dual power seats -onstar -driver info center (no heads up) -flip up/slide back power sun/moon roof -rear defroster -power everything... **original MSRP of $36,000** Buick fails to issue recall for problems standard to all owners of this vehicle. *Wheel bearings replaced every 3 years. *Intake gasket replaced after 45,000 miles. *AC replaced after 55,000 miles. *Head gasket needs to be replaced at 60,000 miles. *Horn quit working, new module in steering wheel to fix problem. *Rear hatch opens whenever it feels like- (to fix they had to not only replace the hydrolic door hinges, but also a sensor that controls the key fob & the AC output together). *You need to clean out the sunroof "drains" (4 of them) regularly. If you don't, they clog & water fills your headliner and leaks onto your seats. *OnStar cannot perform monthly diagnostics on this model. Other than a few (haha) problems... Vehicle rides like a dream. Little to no road noise. Rear parking assist is a lifesaver. Handles wonderfully. Center console large enough to hold the largest purse (or a laptop). 3rd row seating made for 3 yr olds. You have to climb over the 2nd row of seating to reach it and there is NO leg room to speak of. Center console paint gets chipped easily (where the seatbelt clicks in). AC (when working properly) is the coldest of any vehicle I've ridden in, rear ac vents a major plus. Only use cruise when on interstate, it really dampens how fast you can get up to speed when pulling into traffic. Overall, I love the ride and comfort of the vehicle, but... Maintaining this vehicle will drain your savings account.

Does not recommend this car!!

2 cars later, I want another Rendezvous CXL

by Long road-trip enthusiast from Kansas City, MO on Tue Dec 05 2006

After owning 2 Troopers, we wanted a comfortable SUV for long trips with consecutive all-day drives. We weren't off-roading, so the cost of rugged SUVs wasn't justified. I never fell in love with the exterior. The wheels look undersized, the back end looks like a city bus, the grill looks feminine. The wife loved the ride, tho, and we took it home. It drove like butter spreads on warm bread. The power-everything leather seats are the most comfortable I've ever owned. The Buick's bucket seats are wide & firm, but not hard. The heads-up display is addictive; you miss it when driving anything else. The side mirrors seem as big as dinner plates; I nearly tore them off getting out of the garage not paying attention. There are so many storage compartments we actually would lose things for a while. I never had a better FWD or 4WD vehicle for street driving in the snow. The second row buckets are sumptuous, nearly as great as the front. They unlatch & come out easily. They are pretty heavy, and not nearly as easy to put back in. The third row seat was typically folded to get more storage room. When we traveled, we took out the second row and stowed gear in the floor. With no third row seat, you could easily sleep back there. Heated seats were awesome. The high end "circulation system" seemed overly complex, and always seemed to need too much manual intervention. I read the manual and saw I was doing it all wrong. We primarily use a sun roof as a safer way to photograph bears, and the Buick's roof was almost too small for that. We drove from Kansas City to the Canadian Rockies (Banff, 6700 miles roundtrip) twice, once going on to Alaska. We'd do 5 solid days driving at a time, and the comfort allowed us to go distances not enjoyable in other SUVs. After owning Jeeps following the Buick, I want the overall comfort of the roomy and well-designed vehicle again. The 3.4L V6 gets gets better MPG than Grand Cherokee 6-cyl. Our travel logs frequently recorded 23-25 mpg. I never felt like I needed more highway performance, even on long hills. Nothing broke in 3 years/35000 miles. I don't love the shape, but this is a vehicle that totally pampers you; my daughter's Acura and boss's Lexus feel cheap in comparison.

by Al from Lakewood, CO on Wed Dec 08 2010

this is a very good car. The power and pickup is not too satisfying and the mileage is in the 18-20 mpg. However, it is a comfortable car with all the bells and whistles. If they had added a turbo in this car, it would just knock your socks off. The size is good for a person that likes company and wants to haul large loads inside.

I love my Rendezvous

by Bumble from Chanhassen, MN on Tue Jan 30 2007

I purchased my 2002 Rendezvous CXL AWD when it was 2 years old. Never thought I would have such a nice car. My wife and I had been talking about getting a van or SUV so that we could haul things we both has 4dr sedans and even though we got a dresser in the back seat of our Lumina once it was a lot of work. My wife found this vehicle and pursuaded me to take it for a test drive. We both fell in love with it immediately. It is a very nice compromise between an SUV and a Van. The front seats are very roomy thought he center console intrudes some into the driver seat for me, I am a big guy. The controls are very good, well placed and intuitive. Lots of room in the backseat, even has foot rests that fold down from the back of the front seats. Love the auto door lock/unlock, the auto A/C, dimming rearview mirror. I drive my wifes car and wonder why I have to adjust the A/C, lock my own doors, I've gotten use to those things. It drives and rides like a dream, have gotten very use to sitting up high too. The radio/CD is great wonderful sound from the CD, the radio does have some static on some weaker FM stations. A friend with the same vehicle has the same problem with his radio. Mileage is 17/18 city and the best I've gotten on the highway is 24, it does have AWD and that does lower the mileage. Still better than a Tahoe or Explorer. Have gotten couches, mattresses, all nature of things in the back. Sears was sure my new 32" TV won't fit but it did with room to spare. I have had issues, the A/C condenser had to be replaced and the 3.4 engine needed a new head gasket (that is an issue with the engine not the model). Once fixed under warrenty I have not had any other problems. Also LOVE the OnStar, buy minutes and it is the BEST cell phone, easy to use, push a button speak your number and your chatting away handsfree as you drive. All in all this is a great all around vehicle not to big easy to drive but with lots of room inside. Though the looks may not be the most stylish anyone I give a ride to is impressed by it after one ride.

perfect

by auburn man from birmingham alabama on Wed Jan 26 2011

i have owned my rendezvous for 8 years, the best vehicle i have ever bought for the money. drives so smooth, not to meantion roomy for a small suv. i would recomend this vehicle to anyone.

GM is very stupid for discontinuing this 4X4

by Car Lover from Cincinatti, OH on Wed Feb 07 2007

2 months ago I bought this car and everything is fantastic. I love everything! I have the 4x4 and it is great in the snow. Buy it.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2002 Buick Rendezvous

Americans don't want sport-utility vehicles. They want station wagons. They've always wanted station wagons, which is why they started buying sport-utility vehicles in the first place.

SUVs are rolling symbols of federal energy policy gone awry.

Lawmakers, afraid to take the political weight for conserving gasoline through higher fuel taxes, shifted the burden to automakers. The lawmakers told the car companies to make more fuel-efficient vehicles or suffer financial penalties.

The car companies complied by downsizing their new-vehicle fleets, which meant the virtual elimination of big station wagons.

That put big American families in a bind. They turned to trucks -- vans, minivans, pickups... Read More