1997 Catera

1997 Cadillac Catera

3.2

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have you driven the 1997 Cadillac Catera?

I loved my Catera

by Miss my car from Texas on Fri Feb 26 2010

I got my Catera used and loved every minute I spent in it. I loved the way it would squat down when I put it in gear. The car probably saved my life in a situation when I exited too fast in a rainstorm, any other car would have hydroplaned off the road, my Catera just hung on like a tiger. It handled like a sports car. I took it in because I could smell anti-freeze and it turned out the cooling system that surrounds the engine had a leak. I traded it in and have regretted it ever since. I should have just put a little coolant in it once and awhile. I miss my car on a daily basis. The BOSE stereo, the quiet cabin, etc. I would buy another one if I could find a well kept one.

QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP

by Skylar from New York, NY on Tue Oct 09 2007

the car is a good car, its great on gas, and its comfortable. You only have to maintain it very well. a car is like a person, if you treat it right, the car will treat you right.

My first Car

by Brando-Mania from Costa Mesa, CA on Tue Apr 29 2008

this is my first car and it has been very nice driving it. It has great comfort and performance and with certain modifications to the engine (ex. K&N replacement filter) it really performs quite well.

I LOVED THIS LITTLE CAR!!!

by Lisa from Chicago on Wed Sep 07 2011

Throw a set of Blizzaks on one of these Catera's and watch it go. Bought a 98 in 99 new and drove it forever. Averaged 22 mpg, drove through some awful snow storms and sold it 8 years later. Maybe not the fastest german sedan available, but literally a well made car with nice features.

first LEMON I every owned

by na from Eulid OH on Wed Jan 31 2007

A lemon,I wish someone would have told me before I got mine.Now everyone I know who has had one is just happy they were able to dump it.Dealer will sell them for a high price but will not give you any trade value because they know the car is a LEMON.BEWARE,BEWARE,BEWARE!!!!!

worst car ive owned

by specter from brooklyn oh on Tue Mar 15 2011

Ive had my share of garbage cars but this one takes the cake. Do not buy this vehicle. I bought it used with 107k miles. third day i after i bought it ignition pin breaks also notice coolant is slowly leaking somewhere internally. at around 115k miles transmission range sensor goes bad. horn goes off by itself for 30 sec before fuse blows on it. interior lights come on once a month. break lights routinely go on and off. foglights do not work. battery shorts out. hud display goes dead period!-no speedometer, gas meter nothing, but car still runs lol. horribly designed vehicle i would like to meet whoever designed the wiring in this vehicle.....(must be the same person who designed the head gasket) vehicle sold for 200$ after failing in a horrible snowstorm on my way to work one morning. do yourself a big favor do not get this vehicle.

Poor Decision

by E-Maddy from Akron, Oh on Mon Apr 07 2008

I bought this car from someone and I should've left it with him. I felt this was a bad decision on my part. But you win some and you lose some. I will take this as a lost and move on to the next car.

Decent performance, flawed otherwise

by Brandon from Philadelphia, PA on Sun Jun 03 2018

I bought a '97 Catera USED in 2010 and the car had around 50,000 miles on it when I purchased it. I thought I was getting a steal with mileage that low.....turns out I was robbed for my money. The car had issues from the day I bought it. Eventually found out the almost all the engine gaskets were leaking (valve cover, oil pan and oil pump) and one of the leaks caused oil to drip onto one of the exhaust components causing smoke to come from under the hood. Then on a long trip the distributor cap partially failed leaving me with a cylinder that wasn't firing. By the end of the ownership of the car I believe the transmission was starting to fail. Also, there is a well-known issue with the oil cooler that causes them to fail and destroy the engine and the timing belt that must be changed every 50,000 miles or it could wear and kill the engine also. Traded it in at around 90,000 miles. When it was running properly it was a smooth car that felt good at higher highway speeds but that is pretty much the only positive it had.

Old reliable!

by Riddlebaugh90 from Redlands, ca on Fri May 11 2018

This car has gotten me around for a little over a year and even though it's still running strong I'd love to sell and get a newer car.