1998 Cadillac Catera Consumer Reviews

Change Year
1998 Cadillac Catera
2.8
Average based on 14 reviews

Looks nice but not reliable

by from KC on May 26, 2006

Many mechanical issues. Primary is the oil leak in to the spark plugs, b/c of W&T to the gasket. To fix the problem, the whole engine needs to be taken apart, which will cost in thousands. Additional problems are that the dashboard lights will periodically turn on for no apparent reason. Lastly, the transmission acts up once in a while and jerks the car. On the flip side, it looks nice both exterior and interior. Good luck with the car!

bad

by from san diego on November 4, 2010

Overall this car is trouble, i reccomend not to put interest, time or money in this car as i have wasted myself. it is only trouble and unreliable. A wanabe european car.

reliable!

by from new york, ny on September 21, 2011

best car you can get, gets you to where you need to go and is the best kind of car at and for comfort.

worst car I ever owned!

by from Toledo, Ohio on September 30, 2013

Have had nothing but problems with this car since we have bought it. Have sank over 5000 into it plus paid 1500 for it. Can not drive it far at all. Oil pressure problems, gear problems, can only drive it no further than 5 miles at a time sending to junk yard!

Worst Car Ever

by from East Windsor, New Jersey on September 26, 2013

This by far was the worst car I ever purchased. Intake issues,pump problems with hydraulics had to buy a used one and periodically have repair man bypass it and manually pump to rise the car or else it was almost on the ground. Issue passing emissions test. It's no wonder Cadillac only made these from 1997-2001 there recognized the disaster and you should too. I would not recommend this vehicle to my worst enemy. Mines is still at the shop after new engine it still has issues I told them to keep it.

Mechanic's Nightmare

by from Alpine, California on April 5, 2016

This is one of those cars that has to be maintained. Most GMC products, buy it used, and f it hasn't been kept up, you can replace the parts that are busted or worn and usually come out ahead. Not the Catera. If it hasn't been maintained, everything suffers, paint being the exception. The engine is solid, but one thing goes wrong, and the whole engine degrades. In 2016, I can't recommend buying a used Catera.

worst car ever buy , waste of my money

by from new jersey on October 4, 2008

this car love be in the dealer, to much trouble to keep , beside very expensived to be all the time on the dealer. without saying the mechanic call the catera.. catrouble

Love this car!

by from Kansas City, MO on July 14, 2008

Okay, It's not the sharpest looking Cadi I've ever owned (on my fourth one now) but it performs as well as the V8's did on my Deville, Seville, and almost as good as my STS. It's an excellent in town traffic car and all I have to say on the hiway is "It's a Cadillac!"; it glides down the road at any speed effortlessly and passes without a glitch. Very strong transmission and passing power is the usual Cadillac standard - leaves everyone behind. This is a very solid, safe feeling car. It's heavy for its size but seriously handles like a much lighter car. It has all the usual bells and whistles one expects from a Cadillac product and the interior wraps you in leather and high quality materials. By comparison, I also have 2 other cars and when I want a comfortable, powerful ride, I hop in the Cadi. Bought mine used with just under 60K on it and have driven it for 2 years without any problems - I've only replaced the battery and obviously that's not a mechanical problem. Gas mileage is a standard 20+ MPG but considering what you pay for these awsome cars used, do the math and you come out way ahead of the game! I'll probably pass this one on to my teenager because I feel VERY safe in it and it's been reliable.

Great Value

by from Chicago on August 12, 2009

I bought my 98 Catera brand New in Octyober of 98. Leased it. Car was awesome, never had a problem with the vehicle. Caddy dealer was great, service was done by them with a loaner. Only complaint, is that it could have used another 50 hp under the hood. I knew going in, but where can you go fast anymore anyway. Cruised at 90 no problem. Stereo was a Bose and was mind deafining. Chicago winters? no problem went through the snow without a hitch. I was sad to turn this vehicle in, but needed an SUV for kids.

not bad for 13 yrs old

by from on February 9, 2011

I bought this car mainly because I am tired of being in debt. I sold my truck, paid off the bank and bought this 13 yr old car outright. I now have no debt. If I am lucky this car will last at least a year or two. Long enough to save up some money to buy a better vehicle outright. Tired of be in debt to the banks.