1998 Cadillac Deville

Expensive maintanence

by from Raleigh, NC on May 13, 2017

Problems abound with this my third Cadillac. Alternators, A/C compressors, heater core, reservoir tank, water pump, check engine light, rough idle, electronics... Nearing 160,000 miles and now a "crossover tube gasket" leaking coolant.. Very frustrating, cause when it's running good it's a dream, but when something goes wrong it's a money pit. Most of these somewhat common repairs in most all vehicles but with a Cadillac, it is much more expensive than other cars. Even regular maintenance is a little more, oil changes, filters, plugs, wires, batteries.. Is it worth it? It's tough to say. I love Cadillac, but this one has been a struggle.

Slot of car for the price

by from San Diego, Ca. on March 1, 2017

This car looks great, feels even better and runs like new. You won't find another clean low mileage Caddie like this one. This one has been well taken care of and it shows.

Fav car ever( Also first)

by from on September 25, 2015

Very smooth, has great power and steering, overall awesome car for money. Everything in good condition except clearcoat on hood.

Great classic ride!

by from Dowagiac MI on April 11, 2013

I had been looking for another Deville for a while after having owned a 1995 about 5 years ago. Regrettably, that model year was susceptible to cracks in the aluminum motor mounts, and we discovered a problem with over-heating the first time we found ourselves driving in the mountains. Knowing we could not in good conscience try to re-sell the vehicle (we had obtained it in a personal vehicle trade), we traded it in during the Cash for Clunkers promotion. But I always wanted another one....without, of course, the motor mount problem. Assured that problem had been solved in later years' production, I found a beautiful one-owner 1998 at an area dealer. I didn't "need" another car, but I wanted the convenience of being able to listen to my audiobooks on cassette or CD's. Since they don't put both audio options in vehicles anymore, I guess you could say I bought the most expensive cassette player on the market! But I also got a great car with a luxurious, comfortable ride and great mileage for a "boat." It actually gets better mileage than my 2009 Toyota Venza!

Pure Joy

by from Chandler, Tx. on February 10, 2013

This car, by far, is the most enjoyable car I have driven. I was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time, just when a person traded this Caddy in on another car. I have had to replace only the battery, and wiper blades, and a small leaking hose. The car had 96,000 on it and it has 103,000 now. It gets extremely good gas mileage, I have just now begin to have an A/C leakage problem. The controls on the steering wheel are a BLESSING, as I dont like to look down, while I'm driving to adjust the radio, or turn it up, nor adjust the A/C or heat. It can all be done on the steering wheel. The ride is excellent, and performance is out of this world considering the size and weight of the car.

very riliable

by from saco,maine on January 23, 2012

best ride i have ever purchased.car is just like new with only 42,000 miles.you don,t feel the bumps and in maine that is very hard to achieve.

caddy mechanic

by from stroudsburg pa on December 29, 2010

always loved this generation deville. the only thing hurting these cars is the northstar headgasket problems. if it wasnt for that these cars would be the best in the world in my book, since when the motors are running properly the cars are a joy to drive. but. the northstars of this generation and the one after it all accumulate a blown head gasket at atleast 130.000 miles. i would never buy or own one with over 80,000-85000 miles, since at that point they are basicly a ticking time bomb. this problem can be a 1800-2500 dollar repair, and your replacing one hilage milage northstar engine with another middle-high milage northstar, wich will eventually due the same as the first did.

One Great Car

by from Chicago, IL on January 6, 2009

I received my 1998 Deville when my grandparents passed away and it only had 22,000 miles on it. Everything worked and it road on a cloud of comfort. It is quite large tho, its as big as a yacht, but the Northstar V8 as enough power to pull and and then some. The acceleration is very good, but the handling is no Lotus..obviously. The problems that kept on coming up was electronic problems with the windows. These little gremlins came up quite a few times. But in all, it is a really good car to own.

Good Car

by from on November 6, 2008

My dad bought this car in 2005 and I love it. After I messed up my car, my dad went out and bought a seville and let me drive this car full time. The handleing and braking power has saved me from numerous accedents and it is a very smooth car to ride in.

A ROLLING EXECUTIVE CHAIR !

by from FLORENCE, KENTUCKY on March 4, 2008

The 1998 Cadillac Fleetwood Limited is an unusual car from many standpoints. Cadillac "outsourced" the construction of their Flagship sedan to Superior Coach Company (a division of Accubuilt) in Lima, Ohio. Superior, took a normal 1998 Cadillac deVille, stretched it 12"), and made a luxury cruiser worthy of royalty. The Fleetwood Limited is powered by Cadillac's standard 4.6 litre, 275 horsepower Northstar V-8 engine coupled with front-wheel drive, anti-lock brakes, magnasteer and traction control. For a price that was substantial for an American-made luxury car ($52,000), you got all the amenities you'd expect in a formal luxury sedan, including the usual Cadillac luxuries of power windows, door locks, lengthened and strengthened chassis (119.8 inch wheelbase, overall length of 221.8 inches, with a trunk capacity of 23.5 cubic feet), full tuxedo grain vinyl top, rear seat reading lamp, cellular telephone installed in the center driver's armrest, nuance leather seating areas in black, automatic dimming compass rear-view mirror, heated front seats, rear wheel well fender skirts, dual air bags, front side air bags, Zebrano wood interior trim, power rear view mirrors, power antenna, digital climate control, cruise control, adjustable tilt steering wheel, rear defroster, and other upgraded components. The Fleetwood Limited package added $6,630 to the price of a Cadillac deVille. I have further customized the car with an E&G Custom Chrome Grille, all "new" style Cadillac emblems, New Simulated top, New Moonroof (SUV size), 2008 Fender Engine "ports" (cut-out fenders and installed), and other items, etc. To say that the 1998 Fleetwood Limited is rare is an understatement. If you are NOT driving a Fleetwood you are NOT driving a True Cadillac !! Mine is a Triple black beauty. Black Paint, Black Top, Black interior.