2006 Avalanche

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche

4.4

Have You Driven the 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche?

David-sales rep

by 51 year old "gear head" from Spartanburg on Tue Jun 20 2006

All I have to tell people is;"If you drive one ,you WILL buy it.Talk about the total package! The 5.3L in mine gets 16.5 to 17 mpg in daily driving,60% city 40% interstate.It's an easy truck to get those figures in ,if you know what to do in the aftermaket world. 350 hp 375 ft lbs torque, all with simple "bolt on" stuff.My wife loves to drive it. Talk about comfort, and I have the Z-66 model. 17" stock wheels replaced with 17" aftermarket painted wheels (black,just like the truck) I bought mine new in 2004,and if I'm still driving at 80,you'll see me behind the wheel.

Awesome!

by mavsfan41 from Dallas Texas on Tue May 16 2006

It had a powerful engine,smooth ride and nice seats. The connectine bed to the inside is really nice and is fun to play around with. My kids love the touch screen navigation. The towing power is unbelievable. It can tow my boat no problem. Its is the best car I have ever owned.

Dont buy a 2006 or below

by wish I bought a 2007 from Ohio on Fri Oct 05 2012

Great truck but........the Vortex V-8 is to much for the transmission equipped for this truck by GM. Transmission blew apart at $70000 miles! GM knew this issue and wont admit it. The 2007 models on up were altered to handle the torque put out by these motors and raised the power train waranty from 36,000 to 100,000 miles. Just a dirty little secret from GM and believe me if you have one of these there will be a point when you torque to much rpm for your transmission. Happened to me just going onto an on ramp putting it into a passing gear to merge with traffic it blew for no reason. Cost...$5000.

Does not recommend this car!!

Avalanche 2500

by Sportsman from Central Texas on Wed Jan 28 2015

First of all this is a 2500 Avalanche. That is a 3/4 ton truck. Most of the reviews here are for the 1/2 ton Avalanche. Two very different trucks and I know because I have owned three 1/2 ton Avalanches. The 2500 Avalanche is a beast with a 8.1 V-8. Yes mine gets 11 miles per gallon but it will pull anything anywhere. I drive it from Texas to Telluride Colorado four times per year and there is nothing that will keep up with it in the mountains. Brute power. My truck is one of the best riding and driving vehicles around and it is always the choice for long trips. We have three other cars and the Avalanche is everybodys favorite to travel in. I have driven it 200,000 miles and the only repair was to replace the brake pads and front rotors because I warped them. In my opinion it is the best vehicle ever made.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great Truck

by Jerry the Glass Man from Bridgewater, MA on Thu May 15 2014

I bought this vehicle wholesale from Hawthorne Chevrolet in NJ, it is very clean, but It has high miles. But the price was right. The only problem it had was blowing blue smoke when it was first started in the morning. I replaced the valve seals for $30.00, did the job myself, now no blue smoke and it runs great. I'm very happy with this truck.This truck was the best deal in a 250 mile radius of my home using cars.com. I also highly recommend Hawthorne Chevrolet in New Jersey, Those guys were awesome. Even though I bought the vehicle wholesale they completely detailed the vehicle, changed the oil, replaced a few light bulbs, and even filled the gas tank.

Love this thing!

by flymyway from Rochester, NY on Mon Oct 18 2010

Bigger than any car, sexier than any pickup! I bought my '06 used 2 years ago, it was 2 1/2 years old and still had factory warranty left...and I stole the thing for 18K! The Bermuda Blue wasn't my first choice then but it is now and people always comment on what a "cool" color it is. It is loaded with everything but DVD and nav/back up camera...big deal. The only downside, the trans took a dump right out of warranty at 36500 but the dealer took care of it, rebuilt it in-house and 40K later all is still fine. Yes, it can be a handful to park because it aint small and does have its' blind spots but I really haven't had any problems parallel parking it, just use the mirrors and know how to drive. :D You can't beat the ride, the room and the comfort especially with the heated leather. Like someone else mentioned, open all the windows and the sunroof, spend about 1 min. taking out the rear glass (which stows nicely in its' special place in the midgate) and I call it "convertible mode". The bed is large enough for most anything you need and larger than any trunk ever made, and when it isn't it only takes a minute to drop the midgate and convert it and have the full 8'. Of course, you only have the 2 front seats then but so does a pick up. Everything stays water tight too, I've had no issues with leaks between the toneau sections. It will do pretty much anything a pickup can do I think but it will also haul 5 people in more room than any car I know. Gas mileage isn't as bad as you'd think either, confiming the miles with a GPS and doing the math I get an honest 18+ overall and up to 22+ hwy (3.42 gears) keeping it under 60...which does feel like a walking speed though! It has a fuel computer but I find it reads up to 1 mpg higher than actual but that's not so bad. It gets about the same mileage...or a little better...than all the full size cars I've always owned. I could go on and on but I decided after a couple months, unless I live long enough that there isn't one left anywhere in existence, I will always have an Avalanche! Nicest vehicle I've ever owned...by far. LOVE this thing!!

Most Gas Guzzling Truck Ive Owned

by Hybrids Rule! from Canada on Mon Aug 18 2008

The Chevy Avalanche was horrible on gas. Back in 2006 when gas prices weren?t horrible yet, it still cost $100 to fill the stupid tank! When we went on long trips my poor kids complained that they couldn?t sleep-or move. This truck was very reliable though, I do have to say. It isn?t practical for today?s gas prices and therefore won?t recommend it, get a hybrid!

Does not recommend this car!!

Absolutely loved it and hated to sell it

by BaseballCoach from Canton, Ohio on Thu Sep 28 2017

It was everything I wanted. I wanted a full size loaded truck and this was it! It wasn't a work truck or loading/hauling truck in anyway for me. I needed for baseball and travel. It worked out perfect for my family and I in all our travels

Roomy & very dependable looks nice

by Michael from Poca wva on Thu Feb 15 2018

Good vehicle tows well, roomy very nice looking gas mileage ok comfortable on long trip has all the options needed wish they still made them

Most reliable vehicle I've owned

by Fan58 from Branford on Tue May 30 2017

Excellent performance and reliability. Drive it 65 miles to work each day. I have put more then 150,000 miles on it and it still runs good.

1 2