2006 Aveo

3.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Extremely Reliable

by Regular 'ole Jill from Minnesota on January 2, 2013

I had never heard of this car before I bought it and was a little hesitant because I really wanted the sedan style and I had to get the hatchback. However, besides the little replacements that always happen (new tires, I live in MN so this happens more often than southern states, light bulbs and a serpentine belt) it has been the most reliable car ever. Takes a little time to get up to speed when first taking off but considering its a 4 cylinder, that is expected. Once it gets up there it's super smooth and very easy to speed without realizing it. Its roomy enough that my 6'3" friend can drive and ride in the back. I would definitely buy another one.

Kickin' For the Price

by Kev from Orlando, FL on May 8, 2007

I know that the Chevy Aveo isn't the most attractive car on the market to quite a few people.....and I went to a local Chevy dealer to purchase a 2006-2007 Cobalt at first.....but the dealer made me look twice at the Aveo. It's sporty enough for me. The fuel enconomy is INCREDIBLE! I drove from Orlando to St Petersburg Florida and back on a 1/4 of a tank of gas! MPG = 50.....now that's impressive. Some reviews state that the engine is noisy. I found it to be no louder than a Chevy Colbat, Hyundai Accent, and a Scion 2 door coupe. I did my research based on the other cars that were in the same class and the value for the money kept me going back to the Aveo. It's performance is not designed if you plan on firing up the tracks at the Daytona 500, but I have to admit, I've been very happy with this little car!

Economic and No Problems

by GreenGirl from Jackson, MS on October 11, 2008

I purchased my Aveo in December 2006, when the car was not quite one year old. Since that time, I have had absolutely no problems more serious than a flat tire. My little car gets excellent gas mileage, runs perfectly, is very roomy on the inside despite the compact size, and handles very well. The interior is starting to wear out a little, mostly because I often take my large dog with me when I go places, but other than that, I've had no complaints. I highly recommend the Chevy Aveo to anyone who is interested in getting great gas mileage, reliability, and an all-around cute and comfortable ride.

Great Little Car

by Icepick7P from Galion, Ohio on July 27, 2009

I bought my Aveo used in 2006 it had 22,000 miles on it. Had the same shaking problem but i found out that a front wheel had been bent from a possible pothole. Had a new throttle body installed but it was covered by Chevy. When you put new break pads on use ceramic type they work great on this little car. Also do not forget to change out timing belt at 60,000 miles. Have almost 80,000 on this little car and I love it.

Great for what it was

by ABob1086 from Rothbury, MI on July 12, 2017

I owned this car for 6.5 years, from Feb. 2011 to late June 2016. While it won't win any awards for anything, the car did what I needed it to do and did it pretty well. Fuel economy was good, comfort level was beyond what you'd expect in a car its size and since mine in particular was orange, it was delightfully silly-looking (which isn't important but I liked it). More reliable than you'd expect. Until I was closing in on 150k miles I never really had any problems with it (kids, remember to replace the timing belt on time). I would still own the car if not for a stupid deer jumping in front of it and not moving. If you can get one with relatively low miles I would definitely recommend as a starter car.

A great car for people on a budget

by Esmith from San Jose, CA on September 2, 2012

The 2006 Chevy Aveo is a good car for your money.No recalls on these vehicles and has more power than a lot of 4 cylinder cars. The down sides are gear shift is to wide and on all the Chevy Aveo's it is recomened to replace timing belt at 60,000 miles as there have been reports of early timing belt failure which could damage the engine.

love m car

by kint from keller, tx on December 14, 2012

I live my chevy.its my first car I got it used.I use it to commute to work and school and I travel roughly 12 mi one way.a gull tank last me a week and a half.very reliable, fuel efficient.I am in love with car.I have had it for 2 months now.will see how it goes

Off to a great beginning

by Da Yiman from Norman, OK on August 12, 2006

I have been driving this vehicle for a few months now. I'm about to go on a very long road trip (24 hours), so I'm sure I'll have more to report after that. For now, I've taken it on several short road trips (2 hours highway driving), and I still love it. I fell in love with it at the dealership for it's aesthetic appeal. It's small, but as a sub-compact goes, it does feel QUITE roomy on the inside. I'm a nanny, and with 3 kids in the back, one in a carseat, they have never complained about room. It takes turns and exit ramps very well, even at higher speeds. It's very quiet most of the time, though at speeds over 70, it can get noisy. It does not accelerate quickly when already moving (pretty good from a dead stop), but it's a 4-cylinder subcompact. That is to be expected, however, and it's not pain-stakingly slow or anything. Sometimes if it's windy on the highway, it can feel like it's being pushed around a bit. Keep a firm hand though, and you'll be fine. What has been SO much fun though, is that it's so small, I can zip in and out of holes during rush hour to make it just a bit easier, which infuriates other drivers in their huge, and horribly fuel-inefficient SUVs. This just makes my day every time. Overall, love this car. It has only been a few months, though, so I'll report back if she gives me any surprises.

GOOD VALUE

by ADIRONDACKER from NEW YORK on September 13, 2006

Bought one in Tucson, drove it back to NY over 10000 ft mt passes, no problem. Surprisingly comfortable on long trips, (especially @ fillup time 33mpg@ 75-80+) drove to Fla. Ga. & back via Deals gap this august also. Using my GM card earnings & discounts made this car a great value. Cruise control, ac. remote lock& alarm standard on the hatchbackl I purchased.

GREAT CAR

by carlover from Nashville TN on May 14, 2008

Have put nearly 50k on my used Aveo this is my comuter car and i love to drive great fuel economy and handle pretty good for such affordable car. great reliablity. it runs smooth at 65mph. This is the type of car if you service the car regularly it will reward you with very few problem. only dislike is the radio and sound system could use an upgrade.

1 2 3