1998 Cavalier

$241 - $3,973  MSRP Range
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier?

MOST CAR FOR THE MONEY

by Car toy king from Brooklyn NY on Sun Jan 27 2008

I have a 1998 Convertible and it runs and runs. This is really the most car for the money. Just drop the top and go....... The Z4 has power and lots of fun for a great price

I Love It!

by Josie's Convertible from Talladega, AL on Thu May 27 2010

This was my car. The only reason I traded was I needed a larger car. This cute convertible gets great gas mileage, has a great ride and you can park it anywhere. It rides great on the road and handles very well. It was a hard decision to let go of it and it deserves a good home.

Great college car~ low maintanence and dependable!

by Graduate nurse from CA on Sat May 26 2007

Great college car~ low maintanence and dependable! I wanted something that would be easy for me to care for, great gas milage and was reliable.... it did exactly that! I drove my car during 5 years to a college 40 minutes away, it got me there every day!

Nice Car

by car User from tucson, az on Tue Apr 22 2008

This is a nice car, i was really surprised at how well it is doing. It is my wife's car and she likes it a lot. it has a lot of options, very easy to use and is really realiable. Not to mention the price on the car, that is awesome. I enjoy the get up and go the car has, very responsive, even though it is just a little 115 hp engine. Really grabs a gear and goes. It has the 4 speed auto transmission and that is a great transmission, it finds a gear and holds it, no real gear hunting. also again very responsive and will drop into that gear you need.

2.4L very reliable

by M A Anderson from MN on Sun Jun 15 2008

I bought this car brand new back in 1998. I currently have 177,240 miles on it. Original tranny and engine. I have not had to do any major repairs. Just maintenance. This car is great. Much much better than my wifes 2002 Malibu. I am suprisingly impressed with this Cavalier. I am sure this engine will outlast the body. I am getting some rust on the bottom of the doors. I just sand them down with my dremmel and hit it with a coat of rustoleum!!

Super reliable with great gas mileage.

by JK## from Minneapolis, MN on Thu Sep 23 2010

I have the convertible and it always starts right up, even in cold weather. Gets excellent gas mileage and looks sharp. The seats could be more comfortable, but that is my only complaint.

GREAT CAR

by TWIZTED Z24 from CHARLOTTE NC on Fri Sep 05 2008

HOW ELSE CAN I SAY IT. IVE OWNED THIS CAR FOR 4 YEARS NOW AND IT HAS BEEN THE BEST MOST RELIABLE AND FUN TO DRIVE CAR IVE EVER BEEN IN!

Great First Car!!!

by C.W. from Columbia, TN on Wed Dec 30 2009

I bought my 1998 cavalier base coupe used 2 years ago with 85,550 miles on it and it currently has 104,000. The only thing that has gone wrong with it was a water pump went out around 100,000 miles but it was an easy fix. This car is great for a commuter car and the 2.2 engine is surpisingly peppy!! I installed an aftermarket tachometer so I could keep up with my engine revs and ive come to find out that the car has plenty of torque around 2,000 rpm! I average around 36 mpg during the summer and around 32 even in the freezing winter months!!! The car is also built with very strong material! I was involved in a low speed crash this past fall (15 mph) where I accidentally rear ended someone and absolutely NOTHING happened to my car! However the altima I hit had some pretty bad damage. It was definitely a chevy win :p The speakers in the car are not too shabby either :) This car is just an all around awesome car and I would recommend it to anyone!!! Im looking forward to the many many more years I will have with this car!!

First car I got from a dealer, and I love it

by Mrfixit2882 from Seattle Wa on Sun May 29 2011

I owned the coupe version of this model year. Unfortunetly it was involved in an accident and I no longer have it, but I loved it. It looks great, it was fun to drive, and I never had any problems losing it in the parking lot. The 2.4L motor was just enough motor for me to use it as a daily driver with good gas milage and still be able to have fun driving, which is very important to me. I did experiance with an electrical issue that I was not able to resolve befor it was hit. I was not able to track down a short in the night driving light system, dispite the fact that I replaced every relay I could find, as well as the dimmer switch. All I have to say, when your looking at a J-body Cavalier, (Thats what this body style is called) make sure all the electrical componenets function correctly. As well as looking over all the wiring you can find to be sure there is no abnormal wear-and-tear or damage. But that was the only issue I ever had with it. In short, I still would recomend this car to anyone, and I'm hoping to be able to get ahold of another one with a 5-speed instead of an AUTO sometime soon.

NO A//C

by Dogcatlover from Clarkston, MI on Mon Aug 18 2014

I BOUGHT THIS CAR AT VOA. THE GUY ASSURED ME THE A/C WORKED AFTER WE EXPLAINED THE IMPORTANCE OF THE AIR AND MY HEALTH. THEY FILLED WITH FREON AND LESS THAN A WEEK ;LATER IT QUIT WORKING. I WAS TOLD THE BELT WAS BAD ALSO. THE CAR HAD VERY GOOD MILEAGE, BUT I DON''T APPRECIATE BEING LIED TO.

1 2