1999 Cavalier

4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Great Looking and Running Car

by Cavalier Lover from on March 15, 2009

This is a great car! This was my first car that I bought, for only $2500, two years back. I bought it with 80,000miles and it drove great! The only problems it had were a few electrical problems with the daytime running lights. Only had to replace the tires once and refurbish the rotors and drums. For it only being 2.2L it had some power, and is very aftermarket friendly, I added an intake and exhaust system. I would've driven this car for a very long time, had it not been totalled, in a fender bender. Chevy didn't perfect their airbag deployment system until 2000. So at 10mph the airbags deployed and broke the dash and windshield,totalling it. My only complaint.

Not too shabby

by mg from Portsmouth, OH on January 18, 2009

I bought this car almost 4 years ago. It had about 60K and now I'm at about 135K. I've never had a car as reliable as this. I did a lot of research before buying this car. After buying a Chrysler Cirrus (basically a Dodge Stratus) for $3600 and having nightmarish mechanical problems that no mechanic could seem to fix ("repair" costs well-exceeded the value of the car) in two years, I swore I was going to buy the best value in an econmy car. I decided on the Cavalier. I've had some A/C problems, but that's about it. Even with that, the problem is only when idling through town. I seem to go through brakes often, but I think that's a fault of my own. I like the 30mpg I get and it will be very difficult for me to go back to anything less. I used to drive back and forth every week about 220 miles to go home from college during the weekend and I have never had any problems. I hate the cupholders. There is really only one usable one in the arm console. Don't even think about putting a travel coffee cup in the front cup holder... I also don't care for the road noise, which is very loud. I expect to have this car for another 100K with maybe a couple of repairs here and there. Overall, I got what I wanted...value for the $.

A Dependable Means of Transportation!!!!!

by CareBear39 from South Dakota on September 5, 2010

I bought my Cavalier new 12 years ago and never had a problem with it. Even in 30 below weather it always was dependable and started. I was faithful with regular checkups and maintenance and I definitely got my monies worth before trading it in for a different car.....only because I wanted something newer......I hope my jeep treats me as good as my cavalier did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cavalier LS

by chuck from on December 5, 2008

If you need dependable transportation,and don't have a leadfoot, this is your ride to wherever you want to go.

Best car in the world.....ever

by Terri from Toledo on January 6, 2014

I bought my 99 Cavalier Coupe in March 2006 with 97k on it. I bought because I needed a car to handle the long 40 mile commute to work and my 2004 Chevy Venture was too much on gas. The Cavalier was really basic, but decent nonetheless. It was really good on gas getting me 35+ MPG. I am really satisfied with my little red Chevy. It now has 182k on it and it's still running like a champ. I am giving it to my daughter who is getting her license in just a few weeks.

Great Car

by Stu from Puyallup, WA on September 19, 2010

Bought a 99 Cav Z24 convertable--one of the most reliable cars ever owned. Kept up on the oil changes (use Mobil 1) and this little car purrs like akiten. The power window motors are a pain in the rear but everything works great. It had 30,000 miles on it when i bought it and now has 130,000 on it. Been driving it to Seattle (from Puyallup) most every day. Buy one, you'll ike it.

Most cost affordable vehicle

by nitrofish from Pittston on February 10, 2018

Very reasonable car to maintain the most reliable vehicle i ever owned never let me down Chevrolet should have never stopped making them I don't think Chevrolet ever Imagined that it would be so reliable

Z24 Convertible

by Jayhawk84 from Kansas City on March 7, 2008

We bought our car with 11K miles on it back in 2000. We've since put over 100K miles on it. The biggest complaint that we have is the window motors. We've had to replace both sides and the passenger side is going out again. At 600.00 per window, it should be considered a factory defect. Overall, it has not cost much in repairs (not counting standard upkeep). Still has good quickness and still handles very well.

Bang for your buck.

by Dennis from Union Beach on April 26, 2010

If you need a car to get you to point a to point b and you dont have alot of money to spend on a new car, this is the car for you! I have had 3 cavalier z24's since I have started driving and all drove really well. The 2.4L motor adds a little something to driving and the exterior styling looks pretty good. The inside of the car could have been more thought out. Theres one cup holder that works and the other you can put change in or make it a ash tray. The first one I owned was a coupe and the only complaint that I have is the window motors. Bad quality and that factory radio should be replaced from the get-co to avoid a issue. The convertable style leaked like a civ when it was rainging and lead to a world of electric problems. Not to mention going into work with a wet butt. Overall, if it rains watch the weather with this one people if its going to rain put garbage bags on your seats. If its sunny your going to have a fun ride on a great day.

Great running car in a small package/

by Trich from Millwood , VA on September 16, 2017

This Chevy Cavalier is a sturdy compact car, good on gas, and very reliable and an all around great ride!

1 2