4.5
Average based on 2 reviews

Express LT

by from Kentucky on October 21, 2006

Full size vans sure aren't what they used to be--and that's a good thing. Now, don't expect a Corvette, but these newer model GM vans handle much better than tradition full size vans. I think you'll find that the other manufacturers vans still drive like the old vans. Of course they don't get great fuel mileage, but you don't expect to if you're looking at one of these. I own the LT--all the bells and whistles. I love the features except for the leather (optional) but that's a personal preference. It's holding up fine, just not as comfy to my rear end as cloth would be. You already know all the GREAT things about a full size van, so let's focus on the warnings: 1) repairs - EXPENSIVE. The mechanics of a full size van are not easily exposed and therefore require that a LOT of parts be removed to get to anything else. You'll see when you open the hood--about all you can see is the battery. 2) clearance - I can't park this in the parking garage at my job. I have a low-top, and it still doesn't fit. It does however fit in my garage at home (by a half inch). 3) parking - parking this van is not for typical drivers. It takes either experience with large vehicles (I drove fairly large commercial trucks for many years) or great patience. For those that can't squeeze it in with experience usually have to make it a two-try (reverse/re-align) park job. 4) power - these things aren't fast. Definitely opt for the large engine (5.7L 350 ci V8) but you still aren't going to get much speed. However, putting a load doesn't make it much worse so don't worry about towing--it does great with my 2600lb ski boat and 5 or 6 people. 5)slow down - the fuel mileage is of course poor compared to normal vehicles. By driving excessive speeds, you will demolish any kind of fuel mileage you might be able to obtain. I made a 380 mile trip with the cruise set on the speed limit (interstate) and got about 18+ mpg. I returned home on the 380 mile trip in much heavier traffic and breached the speed limit intermittently and averaged about 13 mpg.

2001 Express G1500

by from East Stroudsburg, PA on October 11, 2010

Use the van for work and it is perfect for that. After selling a p/u and having to empty the tools every night to park outside it is a pleasure just to lock the door. Not the fastest thing on the road but very steady and performs well with weight inside it. Actually gets less MPG than the p/u but the trade off is worth it. I purchased used and knew what had to be done. I replaced the EGR valve and the brakes myself and had no trouble working on the van. Just a bit of a pain having to do everything with long extensions and getting my arms into the spots. But I would recomend this to a friend and would definately buy another.