2006 HHR

2006 Chevrolet HHR

2006 Chevrolet HHR

4.3

Have You Driven the 2006 Chevrolet HHR?

Would buy another if they still made them

by tennvol from Jackson,Ga on Tue Aug 16 2011

Bought vehicle new in 06 and have 145000 miles on it with no problems, still have the original battery in it. Get an average of 30 mpg. Only issues were the rotors which I went and bought some after markets and it fixed the problem. Friend of mine purchased an 08 and has had no problems as well. Good car for the money

Iconoclastic fantastic

by thetalkinghead from Grand Rapids, MI on Mon Oct 19 2009

I was one of the first to buy this in Connecticut when it came out in '06, bought the dealer's demo model off the lot with 17,000 miles on it. Now have 78,000 miles and drive it all over Michigan and the Midwest in all kinds of weather. It still turns heads, my favorite comment was a co-worker who said, "this is the perfect iconoclastic car for someone like you." Indeed. As someone who has had maintenance issues on other cars, the HHR is a delight. At 75,000 miles I asked if it was time to replace the timing belt and learned happily that it has a timing chain that goes the life of the car. Comfortable for a tall person to drive.

130,000 mile review since purchase

by Grimm from North Olmsted, Ohio on Tue Feb 02 2016

I had to buy a car quick, and for the price I decided to give it a try. I bought the HHR in 2010 with 68,000 miles on it. I now have 196,000 miles in it. While not perfect, it has been the most reliable car that I have owned, and very practical. I have a 11ft kayak, and I can fold down the seats, slide it in there, and bungee the tail gate down. REPAIRS DONE: cat. converter replaced, ball joints, shocks, fuel line. That's it. Mostly normal wear and tear repairs. Not bad for a car with almost 200k miles. The interior DOOR HANDLE broke. It's made cheaply, but I bought a replacement kit off Amazon for around $30 and replaced it myself. Not too difficult. GAS MILEAGE: Around 31-32 on the highway. PAINT: still looks great. RUST: starting to develop around the seams. Hood, doors, etc. I would recommend sealing the areas with something, but not bad for a car that's 10 years old in Ohio. FRONT END SUSPENSION: Not the best, but not bad. Probably could throw some money into it, but at the mileage I have, why? Probably my biggest complaint mechanically. OIL CONSUMPTION: I have to add a quart every 3 weeks or so. Not sure where it's going. No leaks, or black smoke. I've had to so this for 1 1/2 years. ENGINE: get's the job done, peppy but not a race car. So far it has been very reliable. Starts up every time. AIR FILTER: a pain to replace, could be made simper. OIL CHANGE: can do yourself easily simply by scooting under the car without lifting or jacking. BLIND SPOTS: bad. have to double check to make sure things are clear. I'm satisfied with this car. While it's basic, it is very practical, and has been very reliable. I would recommend. I put about 22k miles a year on this car since I have owned it. I deliver pizza part time in it since I've owned it, which always puts an extra wear and tear on your car. Even with almost 200k miles on it, I would have no problems or worries taking it on a road trip further than 500 miles away.

Best Car I have ever had.

by Raider Red from Lubbock, Tx on Sat Mar 02 2013

I bought this car for the gas mileage and the cargo space. I was a sales rep at the time and needed something gas affordable and had a place to keep merchandise that I sometimes had to take to customers. This worked perfectly. There is a lot more space than appears. I have a 2006 LT model. It now has 65,000 miles and have had nothing go wrong with the car since I bought it new. I am sad to learn they are not making these cars anymore which is a shame. I would have bought another one once this one gave out. Which appears it isn't going to do anytime soon. Great car, fun retro look. Highly reccomend. There has to be something bad right? Only thing is it takes some getting used to as far as sight lines. There is some blind spots.

Neat little car for the money!

by Just a guy that like the car! from Orange County, CA on Sun Jan 21 2007

I have only one complaint I got the oversized wheels and tires 17" with the low profile tires! Which if you are into a soft ride forget it! When you get on the freeway with the washboard cracks in the cement it's a terrible ride! It's a dream to drive on regular roads though! It's a little noisy if you buy the LT with the 2.4 engine with the resinator on the muffler. If you're into a smooth ride make sure you get the 16" tires with the regular tire that come on the standard models and you will love the car! I think it's the neatest think since sliced bread! I would recommend this car to anyone!

Stylish and economical versatility

by Cearbhaill from South Florida USA on Wed Jul 26 2006

My new 2LT Chevrolet HHR is the answer to so many of my car issues that I just don't know where to start. I need a car that makes me happy to drive, and the retro styling on the HHR does exactly that. I need a car that gets great gas mileage and the HHR delivers there as well. I need to be able to haul garden supplies and multiple pets in the morning and take four adults out in the evening in great style- how many cars can give you all that with the MPG of a sub compact? And lastly- I need a vehicle that does all of this and still doesn't break the bank at payment time even when loaded with all the available options. The versatility of the HHR is amazing- it is a car, a SUV, a van, and a station wagon all rolled into one cool package. You can't so much as stop at a red light without getting comments and thumbs ups all around. The 6 CD "Pioneer" sound system is more than adequate, but won't blow your neighbors away, and the XM radio is addictive enough that it might even become necessary to me. The remote start feature on all automatic transmissions makes getting into a hot car a vague memory- it is a delight to have a cool car ready and waiting for you. And for drivers in cooler climates, I am sure a warm car waiting for you would be most welcome on those early winter mornings. My 2.4L engine is plenty peppy for city driving, and the handling and tiny turning circle make tight situations a thing of the past. Could the HHRhave more power? Sure. It could also have a more effective subwoofer, more thoughtfully placed cup holders, a more luxurious interior, and handier power window controls. But these things cost money, so if versatility, high style, and economy in both initial price and gas mileage are concerns then I urge you to try an HHR out. In my view it can't be beaten in any of these three very crucial areas.

Better than the Price Tag Suggests

by BTN at cars.com from Chicago, IL on Thu May 18 2006

I recently got an HHR as a rental for a long driving trip. I was immediately worried that it would be a punishing 1000 miles -- it's a $16,000 car based on a compact. Boy, was I wrong -- it exceeded my expectations in almost every way. Performance was punchy for a little 4-banger, and handling was nice and tight. It handled the Midwest's brutal potholes without destroying my lower back. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised at just how comfortable the seats and ride were on this over-achieving little retro-mobile. Although I think the exterior styling is ugly as sin, other folks think it's the best design since the PT Cruiser (another design I abhor). I can't argue -- you like what you like. Favorite feature: Ipod jack. Biggest annoyance: Placement of the power window buttons -- they are in the center console near the floor, which makes no sense at all. Overall though, it's a great value for the money. No idea about reliability. I only spent 1000 miles with it.

Economical and Good Looking

by Now an HHR Entusiast from UT on Mon Jun 06 2011

Extremely happy with the economy of this vehicle - it's fun to drive and good looking too - extremely happy with it.

Nimble little ride

by Snowfrog from Gibson City, IL. on Sat Sep 01 2012

Recently purchased 06 HHR, great little commuter & small job service vehicle. Panel wagons were higher priced than my loaded LT wagon. With seats folded down, plenty of storage & carrying space for my service techs. Almost 30MPG overall & very easy to drive. I'm 6'2''+ & fit to drive quite comfortably. Extremely pleased w/ the HHR. Sister is looking for one now & I'll definitely purchase another one.

much better than the pt cruiser

by quirky carguy from washington dc on Thu Jan 28 2016

I have had this car for over a year now. I am a courier in the daytime and a uber driver at night. So this car gets very heavy usage. I am a fan of the HHr because I have found it to be extremely reliable. It has never failed to start on the coldest days.Gets great mpg in the city, the mid twenties, and low to mid thirties on the highway. Not bad for a car with over 225.000 miles on the odo. I love the retro look of the car, however there are flaws that come with such a design. I am 6ft3 and weigh well over 200lbs. The ceiling is indeed high inside giving me plenty of headroom, but the windshield is quite short, so I often have to lean forward to see stoplights. The control buttons for the power windows are in front of the transmission shifter. I have gotten used to the quirky design flaws. I have the 2.2 litre engine, which is the same as the cobalt.....not powerful but has enough power for city traffic.The car cruises quietly at most highway speeds. the stock exhaust tends to make a steady droning sound on the highway. I like this car so much I am looking for the turbo version. I can fit a ton of luggage in the space behind the back seats. I don't consider this vehicle a suv, or a truck.......there is no 4wheel or allwheel drive. Yet you sit higher than most cars , which comes in handy in traffic. There are several recalls on this model so make sure you check the vin # before you buy

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2006 Chevrolet HHR

Old is new again, particularly in the world of auto design, where Chevrolet's HHR looks like a 1949 Suburban, albeit one sent into the next century via time machine.

HHR stands for Heritage High Roof, and this retro-styled trucklet is Chevy's equivalent of the PT Cruiser. The HHR shares its basic chassis platform and engine with the Chevy Cobalt.

The HHR, with a base price of $16,325, is attractively priced. All HHR models include standard features such as air conditioning, power windows, power door locks, power outside mirrors, cruise control and remote keyless entry. The LT, with a larger, 2.4-liter engine, starts at $18,060. Standard equipment includes the FE3 sport suspension, 17-inch painted aluminum... Read More