2009 HHR

2009 Chevrolet HHR

2009 Chevrolet HHR

Have you driven the 2009 Chevrolet HHR?

Like an Efficent Swiss Army Knife on Wheels?

by Jason from New England on Sat Nov 01 2008

I drove a 03 Nissan Maxima with a 6-speed before this HHR. I'm in my mid 20s. I wanted something with better gas mileage, space to carry bikes, and better reliability. I feel like I got it all, and a car thats easy to love. I ended up with a 09 Chevy HHR LS with panels in the far rear side windows. 2.2L engine. It was between a HHR and Scion xB. I found the gas mileage of the xB to be unacceptable in the end. Performance I expected the 2.2L to be pathetic. To my surprise it accelerated quite briskly and actually felt torquey when the mid RPMs kicked in. I found the 2.2L very satisfactory, specially since I want mileage. The handling is not quite as good as a sedan but no where near as bad as say, a caravan or SUV. The suspension takes bumps quietly and without a jolt. The steering is almost effortless. INTERIOR There's all kinds of little places to store stuff, the center of the dash has a covered compartment, the glove box, little compartments behind the rear seats and another larger compartment under the removeable floor in the rear. All the seats fold flat exept the driver seat of course making a ton of room for stuff. I'm 6'1" and the rearview mirror is kind of in my line of sight so if you're tall you may find it to be an issue, it doesn't bother me. Love the features that come with this car like 3 months of XM, 1 year of onstar, side airbags, traction control w/on/off, Flex fuel 2.2L, remote start from the factory, gauge setup is awsome, very easy to use radio, auxilary hookup for say, an ipod. I find the car to be comfortable and even relaxing. I like the shorter windows because it feels more private and secure. There's lots of interior illumination with 3 dome lamps(front has reading lamps w/buttons driver/passenger). SUMMARY This is a very versatile vehicle with very few close competitors. I've never owned an American car so the only question up in the air for me is reliability, though my Nissan was pretty bad and expensive to fix. I do believe, without doubt, that Chevy is the most reliable American car. If you want great gas mileage with lots of space and versatility, the HHR is a very strong candidate. Not to mention all the other great features. I "love" this car and hope it continues for many many miles.

HHR great car read owners manual

by RSCam from pennsylvania on Thu Jun 24 2010

This auto is a great buy. It has plenty of room for people and cargo. no lack of power from the 4 cylinder if as the manual says you use premium gas. I get 31 miles per gallon on trips and slightly less around my rural home.i am 6feet tall and the head and leg room is wonderful. would recommend this to anyone!

I love my HHR

by ClassicAmericana from Fresno, Ca on Sat Sep 11 2010

It's a great car, and goes to show that American car makers DO care enough to produce a quality vehicle that is affordable and stylish. I have a couple of minor dislikes, but nothing that would stop me from buying another HHR. The seat belt buckle is right up against the seat, and jabs into my hip on occasion. If that were pliable, it would be a much more comfortable ride. I also wish there were more places to store things in the front, like a small well to put change into would be very nice. The window size does not bother me in the least, I have no problems seeing and the tinting is really nice since I live where summer is VERY hot most of the time. Cargo space is awesome, and the way the seats all fold flat to make a 'bed' area is great. I have had Honda's for the past 17 years, and happily surprised by my Chevy. My faith has been restored, and I couldn't be happier with my HHR.

The BEST value dollar-for-dollar - BAR NONE

by Jkarl from Novi, MI on Fri Feb 26 2010

Bottom line, for the price this is hands down by far the best vehicle I ever owned. Perfect for a young family looking for stylish reliable car and gets good gas mileage!! We bought one used that was only 1 year old with 12,000 miles... still has NEW CAR SMELL! The HHR wasn't even on our list, we had planned on buying a new minivan. A good freind recommended an HHR based on his personal experience. I can postivtely say WE ARE BLOWN AWAY!!! From the moment I left the dealership I knew I loved this car. Very sportly, excellent gas mileage, handles great, looks good. I have heated seats for the winter and a sunroof for the summer. I can fit my whole family (5 people) with plenty of storage, also found it extremely verstile (the cargo area is a MUST for do-it-yourselfers, you can fit sheets of plywood no problem. BTW - GREAT IN THE SNOW which surprised me. Would recommend to anyone looking for a car.

Sweet Machine

by JRL from Maryland on Thu Oct 04 2012

I'm 69 years old and have owned a lot of rides in my time.I even owned a 49 Chevy 5 window pickup and this looks even better.Gas milage is great 31mpg just puttin around.Plenty of zip and a pleasure to drive.I think these will be collector cars in years to come.I would recommend this car.

Great Reliable Vehicle and fun to drive.

by 52 Years of Car Sales and................... from Wappingers Falls, NY on Wed Oct 27 2010

Purchased a 2009 Fully Loaded Chevrolet HHR LT and I'm both extremely happy with vehicle and dealer I purchased it from. I truly do not find anything to tell me that I have made anything but a great choice in this attractive and extremely functional as well as unique as this vehicle. I highly recommend this for Fuel mileage, handling and all round fun!

HHR Performance

by HHR Convert from Westland, MI on Tue Oct 26 2010

I bought a 2009 HHR-LT in July and have been loving it ever since. Car is comfortable, affordable and drives great. Love the trunk space and the little storage slots. Would recommend this to anyone who has a hard time getting in and out of a car. Nice smooth tranition.

Flat out fun to drive!

by JimVette1 from Dayton,Ohio on Sat May 08 2010

I have a 92 Vette, and this little 09 HHR/SS is a blast to drive. With my stage 1 turbo kit installed it would seriously give my Vette a run for its money! Not to mention 24MPG/city 31MPG/highway, what's not to like?

Great Reliable Vehicle

by Love Automobiles from NY on Fri Sep 24 2010

After having S10 Size Chevy Trucks for past 25 years I wanted a change and the HHR LT 2.4 more than fits the bill. Fun vehicle with great handling and great MPG. Gets all kind of comments on its looks and the amount of room it has, front and rear! I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone who is looking for a fully loaded vehicle for $25K

Love my HHR

by Aviatrix from TN on Tue Jul 09 2013

I considered a lot of cars before I bought the HHR. After being a loyal Chevy customer for years, I was quite miffed that I had to help bail out such a massive company with tax dollars and vowed not to purchase a Chevy again. However, the HHR was a perfect fit for my lifestyle. I found a very gently used 2009 with under 100,000 miles at a small car lot for a great price. However, within hours after driving it off the lot, the power steering motor went out. The dealer replaced it, because Chevy would not, even though they have recalled the very same part on many other models and for ALL models in Canada and the car is still under the original warranty. Buyers beware of this issue. That being said, I just got in from a 1000 mile round trip and the car did a fantastic job with 32 miles to the gallon, and it was very comfortable to drive. The dash compartment won't always open and the blinkers do not always turn off. Other than that, the car is like brand new and I love it. I'm happy a bought it and hope I can drive it for a long time.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2009 Chevrolet HHR

Editor's note: This review was written in June 2008 about the SS version of the 2008 Chevrolet HHR. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2009, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

The engineers and designers responsible for muscle cars like the Chevrolet Chevelle SS and Camaro SS must be shaking their heads, but that really is an SS badge on the side of Chevrolet's HHR compact wagon. It just goes to show that performance can come in all sorts of shapes — in this case with a turbocharged four-cylinder under the hood.

In today's environment of supercharged energy markets that have led to record gas prices, this new... Read More