1998 Chevrolet Metro Consumer Reviews

Change Year
1998 Chevrolet Metro
Average based on 5 reviews

Love mine. 98 with5 Speed: 40-50 MPG @ 200K Miles!

by from Smack in the middle of NJ. on April 20, 2011

I love my metro. I have had mine for about 3 years now and it has been as reliable as a new car. I have the 3 cyl 1.0L It has never broken down on me, and although it is starting to rust quite a bit in the frame, I bet It could go another 100K. I did replace the trans a year ago, but I can't speak for the driving habits of the driver that had it before me. Only problem was that second gear was worn out to the point it would pop out of gear randomly, and eventually wouldn't go into 2nd at all. If your looking for luxury, might as well stop reading. Bare minimal in the interior, mine doesn't have A/C, and I have a aftermarket stereo. Does have ALOT of room under the dash if you want to install anything extra, like I have done. It does have a nice clean basic interior. The cargo space actually fits a amazing amount of stuff when you fold the back seats. I have fit 2 bikes at once, a huge BBQ grill (in the box), a generator, and moved the entire contents of a apartment in 6 trips. If you put alot of weight in it, it will slow down quite a bit, and you also loose MPG. As far as a fuel saver, you can't beat it. I get 40-50 MPG average on regular gas. Just keep it maintained and it will run faithfully. Maintnence is cheap and the parts are pretty easy to find. The lack of advanced features means it is pretty easy for anyone to work on without alot of experience. I replaced the entire exhaust system including the cat for under $300, but I did do the job myself as I am a certified mechanic. So after 201,000 miles mine is still going strong, saving me lots of money on upgrading to a newer, more expensive, wise* car that has almost the same engine.

good car

by from kentucky on October 28, 2012

i have one like this, its got over 200000 miles on it stell run like new. they might not be a flashy ride but they sure are good little cars. i havent had any promblums out of it, i put gas in it and drive.

Miss Divine's Mama

by from Baton Rouge, Louisiana on August 6, 2010

My 1998 Chevy Metro 5-Speed was my first new car! During the high gas prices of 2008, people were offering me $7,000 cash to buy it because I was still getting 35 milles to the gallon. Now approaching 11 years and over 125,000 miles, I'm just starting to replace some original parts as they break. (The Starter (early 2010) water pump (fall 2009), hatch-back shocks (sum 2010).

that is one great car

by from kissimmee,fl on September 11, 2008

that is one great car! but the ac in my car is not working to good. im going to have it looked at. but i would recommend this car!

Slow, but extremely reliable

by from Honolulu, Hawaii on July 4, 2007

If reliability and getting from point A to point B is your biggest priority, than the Chevy Metro is perfect for you... Having a dependable car is the main thing I care about, which is why I absolutley love the metro. I bought my Metro about a year ago at 75k, and it now has 90k, and I've never had any major problems in terms of the engine or the overall performance. You will definatly get your moneys worth with this car. It has unbelievable gas mileage and is cheap so you will be saving money. But my Metro does have its share of problems elsewhere... My A/C is broken, the window on the drivers side is difficult to roll up & down, its pretty slow, and the engine is louder than most other cars. So if you plan to buy a Metro, expect to save money, get to your destination, and be ready to deal with minor problems, but I love my Metro, and its reliability is worth the small problems.