1999 Prizm

4.1 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

I made the right choice

by Lee rock from Aurora, Illinois on September 24, 2010

Bought this car in 8/10, it has 87k on it and have been pleased so far. I did extensive research on Honda, Toyota and others. Prizm is as most know, Toyota Corolla in GM clothing. It is a less pricey version though but all the reliability. Engine has surprising pick up and passing power with 30+ mpg. I probably saved $2000 by purchasing this car instead of the 2 mentioned earlier. I would say drive it, check the carfax and buy it.

Love my Prizm

by VT Prizm from Vermonth on August 18, 2012

Just love this car. Can't believe how reliable it is for a car that is 13 yrs old. Pretty good on gas too I looked at a lot of older model used car in the same class and the Prizm was by far in the best overall condition, no significant rust anywhere, not even on the undercarriage. If you are in the used car market and can't spend a lot of cash I'd look for a Prizm

I Love this little car

by ARMYWIFE from Cincinnati,Oh on October 8, 2008

I have had my 1999 Prizm for almost 5 yrs now. This car has gotten my family across the US many times! I am greatful that the only thing I have had to fix on the car was the starter! The door handles have also had to be replaced, they break easy. Great car!!!

Ol' Reliable

by Reliability Finder from Jersey City, NJ on November 29, 2010

Bought the LSI version of this car used in 2002. I have been happy with it thus far. I have had to just worry about routine maintenance and replacing original parts, as necessary. My only complaint is that some of the inside door handles have begun to break, but I have easily replaced them as well. The mid-console latch broke, but I barely use. This car has paid me back tenfold. Bought with 70k miles. It currently has 212k miles and ticking.

1999

by Romie from 01915 on June 18, 2012

Good car, No too much power but great on gas. The inside is a bit small but , great driver space. Yes you should buy this car.

great value

by The Car Whisperer from Lansing, MI on July 30, 2007

This car had great value for the money it cost me. A real deal! It's the same platform as the Toyota Corolla and handles just like its sister brand. No problems with the engine and just usual maintenance and replacement (like brakes, muffler, tires). I did my part by keeping it maintained on schedule and cleaned regularly. One of the sweetest cars I've owned.

Faithful Companion

by Chaos Angel on July 3, 2017

I bought this car used in July of 2013 with 209k miles on it. The miles had me leary, but I needed a car for work. At the time I looked at it, I wasnt too enthused. The car next to it was a shiny red 2000 ford focus, and I loved the color (as compared to silver with a gold underhue). But the focus was a standard, and my knee wouldn't handle the shifting. Plus, it was close to $1500 more in price. Not expecting much, I drove the Prizm. And fell in love. Oh, my gosh. I bought the car on the spot and started calling it my mini rocket. This thing will absolutely launch off the line. So nimble. I can turn on a dime, and the steering is almost telepathic. If you even think about turning, that's where youre going. I love it. Plus, living in Iowa, we can get a ton of ice and snow. This little car plows through it better than the 4 wheel drives everyone around here insists you have to have in the winter. Sometimes, I can't help but laugh driving past as people are digging out a mighty 4 wheel drive truck (They're not stranded. Several people stop to help pull them out.) 4 years later, it is still going strong with 230k miles and (sadly), a good deal of rust on the back fenders (it's out in the weather 24/7). We've replaced the factory fuel pump. An ancient battery. Rear drums/breaks. The left rear strut. Next on the list is front brakes and right rear strut. The front door handles broke (I just roll down the Windows and exit by popping the exterior latch), which is a nuisance but dealable. My biggest complaint is the sheer amount of oil the engine burns. I cant run above 60 mph for any length of time without checking the oil levels. Beyond that, though, everything is great. I can get up to 43 mpg on the highway, and average about 35 mpg mostly city driving. What can I say beyond all that? I seriously love my car, and wish I could get a brand new copy of it unaltered (old Corolla might be next on my list. Something with a geared transmission and not a CVT.)

geart little car

by ratbrain from livingston,tn on June 21, 2016

i owned a green 1999 chevy prism for 2 years with no problems, except to replace 2 front axles, it's been a great car, i drove it back and forth to nashville, tn working for tdot, and it preformed great, i sold it to my ex-wife's nephew when i bought another car, and i'm proud to say that he's still driving it today, i financed it from a dealer in nashville with 98,000 miles on it, and sold it with over 170,000 miles, it has over 200,000 miles on it, and is still going strong.

chevy prizm

by BINK from Detroit. MI on December 2, 2013

so far it seems to be a nice little car. The car is LITTLE SMALL BUT GETS GOOD GAS MILEAGE. eXCELLENT CAR TO GET AROUND TOWN

Prizm gets me to work

by carReviewerPerson from on March 4, 2017

Bought this car from a friends sister real cheap when I needed a vehicle. It has suffered sun damage, and the cloth on the ceiling is falling, but otherwise the car seems to be doing pretty decent for its age.

Our Expert Review: 1999 Chevrolet Prizm