NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2013 Sonic

2013 Chevrolet Sonic

2013 Chevrolet Sonic

4.2

Have You Driven the 2013 Chevrolet Sonic?

100k miles with ZERO repairs

by Not Following The Neighbor from Simi Valley on Sat Aug 25 2018

We are 600 miles from hitting 100k in our little car and besides recall work, the car has had zero repairs. We replaced our first set of tires at 80k miles, have the original brake pads, replaced the battery at 85k miles, and did normal oil changes. That is it. This is the most reliable car we have ever owned. My wife tells me I can have a new car when it dies, but I have a feeling I am stuck with this one for a couple hundred thousand miles.

Nice careful things go wrong months after warranty

by Djrw from BC on Wed Aug 15 2018

Nice car planned obsolescence. Sell before warranty expires a thermostat is a $300 unit ignition coil same. Buy Japanese instead if you want something reliable past the warranty period

Does not recommend this car!!

The Hedgehog

by Super Sonic from Sullivan, IL on Mon Sep 16 2013

Great little car. Better than advertised gas mileage. Good power for its size. No wind noise at all, nicely sealed. Enormous trunk for such a small car. Packed plenty of options into this small package. The MyLink radio is okay but not special. They're chewing up your phone data to make things work for them. They should also offer more apps if they're wanting you to use your data to make their radio work to sell their car. The cockpit wraps around you nicely and gives plenty of head room. The cup holders are positioned too far toward the back of the center section between the seats making it hard to reach when you have more than one in use. The steering wheel could have been made of a material with better grip. Chevy could have picked better tires for this one as these give you too much road noise. They grip the road well but you hear every bump you go over. Overall it's a great little car, the negative comments are just food for thought for GM for the next model year.

Sonic is GREAT

by RugerPirate from Wyoming on Mon Sep 09 2013

I had been a proud owner of an HHR. I loved that little car, just didn't get as good a gas mileage that I wanted. I just purchased a Chevy Sonic 5door hatchback last week. I opted for the non-turbo 1.8 ltr, and I have not been disappointed. I live in Wyoming, near the Bighorn Mountains. This little car climbed the mountain road with no trouble and was able to pass slower moving rigs on short stretches with no problem. I like the manual mode Auto-stick, it makes descents from the mountains easy without wearing out the brakes.

Awesome performance for a 1.4L Turbo

by Chevy Man from San Fernando Valley, CA on Wed Dec 18 2013

Besides already being a GM guy. Let alone at least American cars. So I was trying to make up my mind if I should by a new car...well I did! I shopped around and did my homework thoroughly. For the size with weight, cargo, styling and performance the little Sonic is just the greatest choice. But being the sporty car guy I am i just had to go all out and get the Sonic RS! Unlike most people I'm a color person and really wanted a sunroof so I was all over looking and found one in Northern California. Bright Red and after cleaning and waxing it up it is just plain awesome. It is so nimble, pepy and great to drive. I didn't even know it had heated seats as well as everything u can get in a little car like this..I really don't know where 10 airbags are....but I love to drive my little RED ROCKET! Thanks GM...I love you!!!

Good car

by Mike124 from on Wed Oct 26 2016

2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4T, LT. 75,000 miles. I had a transmission, 6spd manual, replaced under warranty. The dealer has replaced the upper intake manifold/gasket 2 times. It's a common problem on these turbo cars. I've changed the clutch, tie rods, and brakes as they've worn, regular maintenance as with any car. It's a blast to drive, it rewards the driver for driving slow, I regularly see 40+mpg tanks. It's also rewarding to scoot around town when you're in the mood, I have a Trifecta tune which makes it an all around fun little car. It's a good looking car, the interior is comfy, an aftermarket stereo/touchscreem nav makes the car more enjoyable. Not the best car for the money and it doesn't hold value well so buy used. It's a good solid little car that I hope makes it to 250-300k miles. There are few better options if mpg + price + pracicality + fun to drive are all near the top of your list.

So far so good. CHECK BACK FOR MORE!

by Chevygirl on Wed Jul 31 2019

Okay so I came here because I recently just bought a sonic from a used car dealership. I was very very very skeptical of getting it from the dealership but after riding it for a month and buying the car fax I don’t have much complaints yet. Like any driver I’m worried about longevity and future maintenance expenses but the cars performance is A1. I see some people having bad reviews but if you take care of your car it will take care of you. I don’t think this car would give you much problems if you don’t man handle it. It’s a tiny car with a small engine don’t drive it like a truck. So far no lights pops on, brakes are good, only issue I’m having is the acceleration is off it takes a moment (maybe 3-4 seconds) to kick it in speed getting on the expressway or high way but once the car is in motion it drives very smooth. I’m guessing because it’s a small car with a small engine. Definitely a girly car and good for a first car. I bought it to commute to work I will take a trip eventually but no hard driving from me so far. I say find a reliable dealership and take it for a spin you’ll see how good it drives.

Chevy sonic saved my life

by ordinary person from Vista,CA on Fri Feb 20 2015

I bought the chevy sonic ltz hatch sep.1 2014 because of the look and safety. I was in a accident, on a freeway when a drunk driver struck me on February17,2015. My car was totaled not one salvageable part. I walked out of that accident with no broken bones no fractures the everyone who witnessed, cops and paramedics said that car and all its airbags saved my life. I am lucky to be alive.

college graduation gift

by jo's car from rothschild, wi on Sun Jan 13 2013

Great car. Alot of space for a compact car. Good gas mileage. Like the touch screen radio and hands free cell answering. Smooth ride. Love this car.

GREAT CAR!

by kate from Pennsylvania on Wed Mar 30 2016

I purchased my Chevy Sonic in 2013, brand new. I LOVE my car. I have traveled from PA to SC almost four times a year back and forth and always relied on my Sonic to get me there and back. The gas mileage is great and I typically can go almost 5 hours on the trip before I have to fill up, only spending around $23.00. Traveling back and forth to work, which is a 30 mile radius, I typically only fill up once every two weeks! For the money, it is definitely a great car! I would recommend it to any of my friends who are looking for a reliable car with little gas money costs!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Our Take on the 2013 Chevrolet Sonic

The 2013 Chevrolet Sonic is a well-balanced car for not a lot of money, but the new RS trim level's engine and suspension tweaks fall far short of a driving enthusiast's expectations.

Buying a small car these days doesn't mean giving up much in terms of features. But what about performance? Chevrolet looks to answer that question for subcompact car shoppers with the new RS version of its Sonic hatchback.

The most significant change for the 2013 Sonic is the addition of the RS trim level, which comes only in hatchback form. You can read a review of the 2012 Sonic sedan and hatchback models here. Compare the 2012 and 2013 models side-by-side here.

For a photo gallery, click... Read More