2017 Chevrolet Sonic consumer reviews

side view of 2017 Sonic Chevrolet
Explore the 2017 Chevrolet Sonic
Shop the 2017 Chevrolet Sonic

Great little car!

Lots of space, great on gas, great pick up, lots of features, very comfortable! Never had any issues. It was a great first “adult” car!

1.9

I think it's a lemon

Changed wateroutlet 2x check engine light comes on lean bank 1 overheated with no temp gauge this car sucks changed oxygen sensor, gas cap radiator reservoir cap

Chevy Sonic is Awesome!

I bought my 2017 Chevy Sonic LT sedan used last year with 45000 miles, what a great car, rides well, plenty of power, nice interior, solid car. Riding in it you can tell its the same chassis as the Buick Encore and Chevy Trax. Its a quiet well controlled ride and handles well too. It does exhibit some road noise but most cars in this class do. Plenty of interior room for me and I'm 6'2" I actually raise the seat up 2 notches and keep it somewhat forward in its track. I get a lot of compliments about it. Mileage is about 32 combined. Given the chance I'd buy it again without hesitation.

Great car handles very well

This car met all of my needs and looks real good too! It’s good on gas and handles very well. The trunk and back seats are Very roomy.

2.1

Money pit plain and simple

This car has given me nothing but problems since purchased . Been in shop multiple times under warranty and to my own mechanic . Same problem every single time and never seems to get fixed . Chevrolet dealership I purchased it from has been very difficult to deal with and honestly not even worth my time or money anymore. GM used to be a good manufacturer but have become bottom of the barrel as far as I’m concerned. I highly suggest avoiding this car and manufacturer for that matter ......

Has a few body blemishes but works great!!

The car is great only 21000 miles, has a few blemishes, I guess the coronavirus pandemic caused some confusion or whatever, the paper work wasnt entirely correct, they did offer at home test drive and at home purchase which may contributed to this. Everything is great!

Ample basic transportation in a Chevy

The Chevy Sonic is a hidden gem of a car if you are on a budget. A very practical design that has been in production since 2012. Not over-priced, adequate power, automatic transmission. Can be used as a first-time car or as down-sized frugality.

A blast to Drive!

Went from a 09 Honda Odyssey to a 14 Ford Escape Titanium AWD to this 2017 Chevy Sonic LT/RS. The Sonic puts the Honda van & Ford SUV to shame. The ride is quieter than either. Actually much better than any car ever owned. The cloth seats are heated and very comfortable. In no way does this drive, ride, or feel like a subcompact car. Ride is excellent, gas mileage 30mpg around town with the 6 speed hydromatic. The 1.4 turbo is German/Austrian built with cast iron block, aluminum head & multi-port fuel injection rather than GDI. This is important to avoid intake valve carbon build up. MPFI is getting more difficult to find in Autos. The Sonic has ample features, Apple car play, AM/FM/Sirius radio, backup camera, cruise control, power drivers seat, sun roof, power windows, bluetooth phone link for hands free calling, Siri, and surprising get up and go because of low end torque provided by the Turbo. My only complaint is black interior and lack of soft touch coverings on door arm rests. The interior is basic but easy to clean. Tight and quiet. The Sonic is, (for an American built car) well made & stands up to the likes of Toyotas Corolla Hatchback, with more interior room than the Toyota. I have no regrets and very pleased with this hatchback. As stated, it put the Ford Escape Titanium to shame in both ride and road noise. I also appreciate the simple climate controls and its tight turning radius in town. It's very easy to maneuver and park. 95% of the time it is me alone running errands to town from my country home 10 miles away. The Sonic has proven a wise economical choice. Having owned 200 plus cars over the years, the Sonic has proven most enjoyable to drive. It fits like a driving glove, stays flat in turns, warms up quickly and scoots around town with ease. A 240 mile road trip proved as comfortable in the Sonic as my past large Honda Odyssey Van, much better fuel economy and better control in wind. Time will determine its reliability.

4.4

Great Value for a lot of Standard Features

I enjoy my 2017 Sonic Hatchback. It is a great, fun car to drive. You do not feel like you are driving a compact. One flaw is that it has a 10 gallon gas tank. It gives you the impression that you are always having to stop and get gas. My mileage is pretty much as rated. About 28 mpgs combined city and highway and 36-37 mpgs on the highway. The remarkable thing is my Camaro (V6) also 2017, gets about 28 mpgs as the Sonic on my work commute. Overall, I agree with other reviews that say the Sonic's gas mileage overall is nothing to write home about. By the way, I have the turbo engine which performs great but I think the mpgs should be closer to its competitors. Overall, I love the car. I'm thinking of replacing it for 2020 before the model gets cancelled altogether. I live in Rochester, NY which is the top selling Chevy dealer in the country and they have no 2020s on their lot at all. That indicates they are going to be phasing it out. Reports for the last couple of years reports have said the 20_?_ would the last year. Last model year, it received a stay of execution. Since 2018 , the Sonic is not available in Canada Australia. Many of Chevrolet Worldwide Operations, with a few exceptions,no longer offer the 2020 Sonic as part of their line up. I am retiring in a few years so I would like to have the newest model year Sonic available before I start living on retirement pension. Pretty much Chevrolet is killing their sedans and offering more SUVs and Trucks. I think this is a big mistake because those who do not care to drive a truck or a suv are going to leave chevrolet and go to its chief competitors who are not killing their car line ups. I think the Sonic Hatchback could be marketed as a small SUV. It has an excellent cargo capacity and comfort that they could use in advertisements. Oh, well I do not decide what vehicles GM sells. I just think getting rid of most of their car lines will force me to move away from GM products. I think there are a lot more people that feel as I do. One last thing. I cannot find an answer to why the Sonic Sedan can be ordered with a heated steering wheel but the hatchback cannot. ????

1.3

2017 Chevy Sonic is the WORST car i EVER owned

2017 Sonic after 35k miles was constantly problematic. The car stalled when warming up . Soon Thereafter every were i went the car stalled . On the highway on the side roads to name a few. I took the car into the Chevy Dealership They Said it was a "Fuel Rail" 525 latter another problem N E V E R A G A I N!!!!