Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2014 Spark EV

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV?

Strongest Motor for an EV

by Solar Car Charger from Prescott Valley, AZ on Wed Jul 09 2014

I am amazed at the ZIP this car has which equates to a Fun driving experience. The same drive in my pickup truck takes about 30% more time to get to my destinations. Now charging by solar panels, so there are no ongoing expenses to charge up the battery. I have hand tools that the batteries were made by A123 also and they have been going STRONG for over 10 years. Hands down the best battery Chemistry for Long Life = very low expenses. I can't think of any other vehicle I've had that puts a smile on my face like the Spark EV.

Chevy SPARK EV 20 year batteries

by Energy efficiency Guy from Chandler, AZ on Thu Jun 23 2016

The Chevy SPARK EV is one of the best buys for the money. It also have battery cooling so they should last over 20 years even in Phoenix heat like where I live. The DC Fast Charge option is great if you go further than the 100 mile range. Also only use FREE charging with it's small 3.3 kW on board charger or you pay twice as much as others. So overall it's low price, seats 4 and is very efficient. It's not a long range road trip car like a Tesla that cost $70K and up so far but is great for around town and work commuting under 70-90 miles or less.

The least expensive way to go!

by older driver from San Jose, CA on Thu Sep 05 2013

My 2014 Chevy Spark must be the least expensive way to go! It gets 4.2 miles per kWh in mixed city and freeway driving. At PG&E's 3.5 cents per kWh this amounts to $0.0085 per mile. At that rate you could drive across the USA for $26! The car, itself, has the usual Chevy failings: ineffective sun shades, too bright a driver's display (no dimmer!) and lousy rear view mirror high beam deflection. I suppose that is why God made duct tape and cardboard. But, the technology is here! The 100 mile range is fine for local driving.

NICE Around-Town commuter

by Lovin' Sparky EV from Fresno, CA on Fri Feb 28 2014

I don't have many miles on my "little battery on wheels", but it sure is fun to drive. I bought mine without the fast charging option, since it will charge overnight just fine for my needs. If I drive it a lot, I can boost the charging level to 12 amps. Going to get a 240-volt L2 charger soon, but not really a necessity. Best part: It's a smooth-rolling rocket at a green light. And about the quietest car I've ever driven, including a Volt. Also, the lowest cost to drive. My gas car at 20 mpg cost almost 20 cents a mile for fuel, this one only 2 cents, since I charge at night rates. Worst part: I don't like the horn sound, and the interior dome light blinds the driver at night.

Most fun you'll ever have in a car this tiny!

by johnweez from Phx, AZ on Sat Mar 03 2018

Amazingly fun to drive, in or out of the HOV lane. It's small, but it's up for the task of trips to Costco or to work and back. The torque is insane. You'll get where you want to go with a smile on you face for all the fun you had driving on battery power.

My favorite small car

by small car patrons from Oklahoma City Oklahoma on Thu Aug 07 2014

We really enjoy this car. We have always had a SUV but are now older and we needed a smaller car. This has amplia room inside. Overall we like it.

LOVE my 2015 EV Spark!

by electro-rocket pilot from fairfax ca on Tue Oct 04 2016

There has been nothing I dont like about this little silent rocket except its almost killed a few pedestrians who run out in front of it hearing no warning, while on their DUMB phones. Ive heard better sound systems and wonder why no floormats provided with my 3 year lease? but hey its amazing how well built and fun it is to drive! especially on Ca Spare The Air Days! a guilt free ride that out- pulls muscle cars off the line. Just about ZERO maintenence and NO smog checks ever or tuneups on and on no tranny to flush cause it doesnt shift! or vibrate or stink gas cars are on the way out.

A nice car, but not what I needed

by bikingdan on Wed May 02 2018

It was a nice car and if I lived in the city it would have been a nice buy, but I don't so it wasn't prudent.

Amazing little car gets 168 mpg$

by neomaxcom from Dallas, GA on Fri May 18 2018

This is a great little car capable of getting scratch at 40 mph as well as getting an average 5.5 miles per kw. I use this to get around and also do a real-estate photography side job that takes me on trips of 60-70-80 miles on winding country roads and two-lane highways. Mine is a 2014 model made in Feb. 2013 and started life as a GM corporate car in Michigan. It doesn't have the DCFC connection and the battery has degraded a bit to about 16kw from a usable 18 kw, despite its low mileage (bought from a private party with 9900 miles). Still traversing the rolling hills and country roads (avg speed limit 45mph) I've often logged over 6.0 miles per kw and pushed it as far as 89 miles the one time I entered reduced power mode.) I get 5.5 mkw using the ac. Using my invented metric - the 5.5 mkw times the avg cost of a gallon of a gas ($2.89) divided by the average cost of a kw from the local electric co-op, I'm getting 168 mpg$. If gas goes to $4/gallon, I figure I'll be getting over 220 mpg$. MPG$ is how far an electric car can go on the cost of a gallon of gasoline. Another SparkE reviewer said you ought to avoid public charging stations that charge, say $1/hr. My MPG$ when using those drops to about 44 mpg$ because of the paltry 3.3kw charger built into the car. But the mpg$ for those free chargers is over 10000 mpg$

Great for the price

by EVsRule from Valencia, CA on Fri May 25 2018

I picked this used 2014 Spark EV because of the value and boy am I glad I did. With gas being so expensive this little car has already saved our family so much in gas costs. It’s reliable, comfortable enough for the commute and a joy to drive. I’m not sold on the looks all the way but I have something else to drive when I feed the need. I am now a full believer in RVs and will recommend a used one to anyone that asks.

Our Take on the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV

The new 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV is an excellent short-range commuter car, featuring surprising pep and comfortable amenities, but some typical electric-car problems keep it from being too entertaining.

If you're an electric vehicle enthusiast, the place to be these days truly is California. That's where all the new electric cars are appearing first, and that includes the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV. Smaller than a Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf but slightly bigger than a Fiat 500e, the Spark EV is meant to help fulfill a government mandate to sell zero-emissions vehicles in the state, but also to serve as a test for electrified technologies. The bigger question, however, is, how well does it all... Read More