2003 TrailBlazer EXT

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT

4.4

Have you driven the 2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT?

Bigger is sometimes better!

by driving it like I stole it. from Louisville, Ky on Wed Nov 03 2010

I got to put this vehicle through its paces, after my car broke down at my university. This is my parent spare vehicle and they had never drove far from home, so they were happy that I could see how well this vehicle handle on a long trip. I have to say its a keeper, I know most will shy away from vehicle of this size because of fuel cost, but let me tell you with the V6 and a lot of highway driving folks will not have to much to complain about. The V6 has enough power to move the vehicle at a responsible pace, but can be worked while going up hills, plenty of passing power though. Opt for the V8 if you are going to tow, large trailer or payloads. Handling is actually nimble for such a large vehicle, not forgetting that it is large and caution should be used in high speed and tight situations. Ride is almost car like but body lean is very present in cornering. Parents own the LT model that came equip with leather, rear climate control, power front seats and, On-star. The seats bottoms are flat but supportive. Cargo room, well lets say it can eat a washer and dryer and spare room for more. Overall good SUV.

Love this SUV

by Happy owner from McDonough, GA on Thu Feb 05 2009

I honestly have no major complaints about my 2003 Trailblazer EXT. I bought mine in 2005, with 55K miles on it. I did plenty of research before I bought it, so the gas mileage was no surprise to me. PROS Great interior space - even with third row seats you still have more room than other mid-size SUVs with third rows Very capable SUV - I have loaded mine with a Uhaul trailer and 6 passengers and hit the road during the hot summer with the A/C blasting and had NO problems; also towed my race car to the track a few times! CONS My only minor gripe is the drivers seating position. After almost 3 years, I still can't quite find my perfect "sweet spot", but that has not stopped me from driving it! 110K and going strong! Another plus is GM customer service - I had several recall issues addressed very quickly and easily, at no cost!

Finally a vehicle that fits all of my needs!

by A College Student that has Fallen in Love! from Louisville, Ky on Fri Mar 19 2010

I am college student that attends school 2 hours from home and amazed that this SUV is making life a little bit more easier. My family actually owns two of these vehicles the Ext model and the regular model which is a LS that my mother drives. We both have fallen in love with these vehicles, they are both comfortable and fairly easy to drive. I got the keys to vehicle after my car died while at school (long story, but a certain Korean auto maker has some explaining to do). Anyway after getting the keys to this huge SUV the only thing I was worried about was the gas pump bill, but after an hour of picking it up from my home, I started to fall in love. again the car is very comfortable and easy to drive. The interior is extremely spacious and quiet, controls are big and easy to get use to, the leather seats are firm and supportive for long drives. The only complaint for the interior is the seat mounted seat belts, they make moving around awkward and annoying, they kinda reminded me of gm old cars with the door mounted seat belts. The best part about this Vehicle is the powerful V6 engine. It does not skip a beat when it come to freeway driving, checking your speed regularly is a must, holding a 90 in this vehicle is not even a chore for it. The only down fall is handling, steering feel is good and will save you when in trouble, but the size of the vehicle is present and going through tight turns and corners at a high speeds can be scary! Other than that this Vehicle is a winner. Fuel economy is not that bad either.

Great all purpose family SUV for the price

by Jerry from San Leandro, CA on Fri Dec 15 2006

I have 68K on my 2003 Trailblazer EXT LT 4x4 with the 4.2L 6 cyl. I do a lot of camping, RVing, and a limited amount of off-road exploring. Pros: HUGE SPACE - 6 adults or 7 children can comfortably fit w/space left over for cargo, all rear seats fold flat, handles well - quite stable, enough power to comfortably tow a 5000lb travel trailer, the 4WD system w/locking rear differential has worked well on snow, mud, rock, sand & gravel, easier to park than a Tahoe, rear DVD entertainment system is a BIG PLUS with the kids and works well. Cons: Tire chains and some brands of tire cables do not fit on this vehichle, very shallow breakover angles due to the limited ground clearance (just 8 in), center console lock is cheap plastic and has broken, intermittant electrical problem w/driver's side window - doesn't work about 5% of the time, fuel economy is standard SUV - approx 15 combined - approx 19 to 20 @ 70 mph cruse on flat highway.

Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT

by Shad from New York , NY on Thu Feb 15 2007

This SUV is one of the best i have owned in my life, its great, i have had it since 2003 and have had no problems with its a great. This vehicle is worth every penny i paid for if not more.The handling is great.what can i say its top of the line for me,and she is a hot machine.

Most Reliable and Useful Vehicle I've Owned

by WantAnotherOne from Pacific, MO on Mon Apr 03 2017

I bought a 2003 Trailblazer EXT 4WD new and drove it over 260,000 miles with very little maintenance needs. I moved out of the country in 2015 and gave it to a friend to give to his 16 yr old daughter. They are still enjoying it. Everything about the Trailblazer was great. The only negative was the MPG, but comparable vehicles fare no better. The word "Utility" in its name was very appropriate. It was highly versatile and useful for my work - for hauling around lots of tools, pulling trailers, and hauling loads. Than all I needed to do was put up the seats and have plenty of room for my family and couple of the kids' friends. Excellent vehicle. I wish Chevrolet would bring it back to the U.S. soon. I'm about to move back!

Everything I've heard it to be--great!

by CruzinTLT from Virginia on Mon Mar 05 2012

I just purchased a 2003 Trailblazer EXT in Jan. 2012 after 6 months of searching for a 4x4 SUV. I looked at many other 7-passenger SUVs, but kept coming back to this vehicle. We got the vehicle with just over 59,000 miles, and so far are very pleased with it. The only down side so far is that gas mileage (around 15 mpg average) is less than our previous van, but we expected that also. I see a lot of Trailblazers on the road, so that is a good sign that it is a well-liked vehicle.

Overall It's Been Good

by Married with children from Portland, Oregon on Thu Apr 23 2009

Handling became superb when I changed out the OEM shocks and went to gas-charged performance shocks (brand starts with "B"). I have the EXT LT. Superb braking and original pads at 50k. I tried a different brand of gas and noted improved torque (more peppy for given throttle position); felt like it gained a cylinder. Never pings or knocks so I'm going to change engine module for higher octane setting. Weak point would be control components in 4WD transfer case, thus earns only so-so on reliability. If I run in AWD mode there is some wind-up (or similar vibration) occurring going straight ahead with 4 matched tires; so I only use 2WD (normal) or 4WD (ice/snow). Disappointing lack of steppable volume with the '03 BOSE radio; and white lettering easily scrapes off of dash & steering wheel control buttons.

Stepped up from '96 Blazer

by DragonWagon from Lafayette IN on Tue Oct 11 2011

Runs, feels, acts like a brand new car. Intelligent driving gets great mileage. The one glitch is that the power side mirrors reset themselves at odd angles when you unlock it. Small annoyance compared with how much I like the car overall. The sound system is fantastic. It has made it pleasant to drive to work again!

First car

by JuanCena from on Tue Jun 27 2017

It was good throughout college and high school, even at 600,000 miles. No joke. Simply a car that is very durable.

1 2