1998 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews

3.3
Average based on 9 reviews

Great Vehicle

by from Green Bay, wi on January 12, 2007

All around great vehicle. We have had 8 in the family, all models and years. The V8 was an excellent option, however, the V6 is very powerful too. The only downfall to these trucks is the CAT converter. They are faulty and have been recalled on many models. On my 1998 we put a set of gibson duals on and skipped the converter. This created a great sound and awsome performance. Of course a small truck with a 318ci motor is nothing to little either.

98 dakota 318

by from Gulf Coast, Mississippi on January 9, 2011

bought this truck new,the best truck i have ever owned.318 is a great motor,no problems.the only problem i had was auto tranny slipped-had it flushed-since then no issues.what a great pulling truck.wish dodge still had 318 in these, would get another.am looking to replace mine-as i loaned it to a friend & she wrecked it.will get another dakota.want a V8-what i am looking at now is the differences between the 4.7-3.9.am leaning toward the 4.7.this is the best riding small truck out there.

Long runner running out

by from on June 7, 2013

Bought my 98 SLT in '04. I bought it to carry mail as a rural carrier because the bench seat makes it easy to "cross-drive" and the amounbt of space in the extended cab was perfect (with a topper). After 5 years of that I moved on and the truck has moved with me... I never had any trouble with it. I don't consider regular maintenance trouble though. Today, June '13, it's still running strong. Lately though it's been showing it's age. I had a heck of a time diagnosing the computer that was going out. Pretty cheap and very simple fix though. The Front wheels are about to go though. The ball joints have had it and the rubber parts that hold the grease are all blown out. The motor is strong. No transmission troubles. Now it's at the point though that a $1,200 fix may or may not be worth the money. But for $1,200, good luck finding a better running truck!

98 SLT 4X4

by from on January 21, 2014

I owned my Dakota for 14 years. Rebuilt the transmission at 80000. Outside of that, was very reliable, never failed to start and ran well. Just sold it to an excited buyer - nice truck -

7 in a row and waiting for the next to come in!

by from Cheese Town USA on July 23, 2007

What's better than chevy and ford? A dodge dakota! Where else can you get a smaller truck with two v8 options and pleanty of room.

Well its a nice looking truck

by from ohio on December 12, 2006

I own the dakota sport ext cab.Truck looks very nice .but i dont know what made me buy a four cylinder.ok around town.But very upsetting on the freeway.sluggish.no passing power. very slow truck. Why dodge put a 4cyl in a truck this size I will never understand.overall its not a bad truck,but im looking to trade it for something that will pass a pinto on the freeway.

RUN

by from on August 27, 2009

I owned a '98 dodge dakota sport and it was a great looking truck so I was hooked to buy it. Don't be sucked in by the looks run you will put more money into it than you paid for it. RUN.

1998 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4WD

by from Denver on July 31, 2006

The interior room sold me on this truck, but I was soon regretting my choice. Fuel economy on the 3.9 liter V6 is poor at best... 17mpg on the highway and much less in the city. The automatic transmission slips and bangs into gear from time to time, mostly when trying to pass or enter traffic. All four front ball joints had to be replaced with only 30,000 miles on the truck and that's with NO off road use. To add insult to injury the trade in value is pathetic. I should paint it yellow and put the Sunkissed logo on it. If you have the chance to buy one of these... Don't.

off road worthy.

by from Orlando, FL on December 12, 2006

Well my first peeve was when the truck was at 3,000 miles the oil pressure kept dropping, so I took it back to the dealer, they supposedly fixed the problem. Well 70,000 miles later I hade been through 6 more oil pressure gauges, (from the dealer). After 70,000 miles the warranty goes out. Well the dealership was wrong VERY WRONG. In fact it was the oil pump. So around 75,000 miles the engine began to seize up. And the water pump and the front disks had problems, and it seemed like everything was breaking down. I am never going to buy a Dodge ever again!!!