1999 Dodge Dakota

My first and only kind of truck!

by from Richland, NY on March 21, 2011

In july of 2009, I bought my 2wd dakota V6 sport and I am now forever a dodge man. at the time it had 80k miles on it and i now have it up to 106k. If you take good care of it, it makes one heck of a truck wheather it be for hauling heavy loads or just getting from A to B. It may not be the best in the world for winter driving because it's not a 4x4 but if u keep good tires on it and put about 300lbs of weight in the bed, it can't be stopped. annother thing i like about it is the exterior styling with the way the fenders stick out. It kind of reminds me of a truck from the 1940's. Being a mechanic, i have also found that the dakota is very easy to work on (if you ever need to). i have needed to replace a few parts here and there but that is to be expected when it's an older, higher mileage vehicle. Just take the time to change the oil whenever necessary and this truck will last for years and years. Everyone I know who has or has had a dodge dakota no matter what year it is, has them at 200k plus! Anyways, the point I'm trying to get accross is that this truck is great and I wouldn't have any other.

It was my first car

by from Virginia on November 28, 2013

I might be kind of biased, just because it was my first car, but this is a great truck. The exterior is nice and the interior is very cozy....

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

have had better trucks

by from LARGO on January 25, 2013

A good shape heavy duty dodge truck, runs fine but gas milage is not something I am crazy about. Paint job seems to be the standard Dodge paint job for that year, outer coating is peeling.

Safest Car ive owned

by from on August 20, 2015

I got into an accident, totalled the car, and if flipped twice and i walked away with a few scratches. i dont understand how this isnt 5/5 for safety.

Make friend with a mechanic.....quick.

by from Frederick, MD on August 6, 2009

I traded in my 97 Dakota Sport (2WD) because of it's poor handling on wet and snowy roads, in retrospect one of the worse decisions I ever made. Not only did I get screwed on the trade-in, but the 4X4 version was a dog. Both trucks had the same 5.2 liter V8 but with the 4X4 there was a noticeable decline in performance and fuel economy. Of course this is to be expected but it was very noticeable. Both trucks handle remarkably well for what for all intents and purposes is a midsized truck. In fact, the turning radius is almost exactly the same as my Honda Civic. Taking off in 2WD on wet roads is a guaranteed spin out due to the torque and the light rear load. As far as reliability is concerned it's hard to believe the two vehicles came off the same assembly line. In my first 10,000 miles I'm not sure if the truck had more horizontal miles or vertical. Suspension, drive train, fan clutch, water pump, you name it. When the battery runs down the engine begins hesitating violently. I know this because I purchased 5 batteries for this vehicle over the first 50,000 miles. I finally gave up on Mopar and purchased an Autozone battery because of the excellent warranty. Now when the battery dies I just trade it in for a new one. Undoubtedly the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. Having said that, it was also the most nimble truck I've ever driven. So if you're a mechanic or have a friend who owns a repair shop, then this is the truck for you.

Great truck!

by from West Monroe, NY on July 29, 2010

My Dakota has 85,000 miles on it and I haven't had a lick of trouble since I bought it. It's the Sport model with a six cylinder engine. The exierior is in great shape with the exception of the rear bumper which has rusted severely. I plan to get a chrome after-market bumper next spring and then it will look like new.The paint is still great and there is no rust anywhere except the rear bumper. Gas mileage is about 20mpg overall. It has served me well thusfar and I hope to keep it forever.

Excellent

by from Paducah, KY on November 8, 2012

I love my truck, but since ive gotten laid off the gas bill is killing me. But other than that, the thing i love the most is if you put your foot to the floor you will take off with no problems

Great Truck, and roomy

by from Toronto on December 10, 2007

Feature just about everything you can imagine, disliked power window switch location. Prices are affordable and truck is reliable!!

One of the best trucks I've ever owned

by from Oak Vale,Ms on June 18, 2017

Owned vehicle for 17 years it never put me down on the side of the road. Also very low maintenance over the 17 years.

My second Dakota

by from Grand Rapids, Michigan on May 31, 2017

My last two vehicles have been Dakota's. Both with the V6 and a manual transmission and 2wd. The biggest problem I have had with them is mileage. They both have an average of 15 mpg. That may be because I drive them like a race car! I can make the tires chirp going into third gear. I am not regular on the maintenance either. Yet I have only had to replace the alternator and starter. My 95 I sold with over 250k, and my 99 has 240k on it. As for winter driving in Michigan...it sucks!!! Even if I put weight on the back. Letting the clutch out slow without giving it any gas the tires still spin. I found that starting out in third is the best option. I have taught four people how to drive a stick with my 99, but the clutch is still going strong! Many times I find myself going from first to third then fifth. It has a lot of rust around the wheel wells, and the bumpers are almost gone. But I paid $1500 for it 8 years ago and will drive it till it is done for. Or until I find another one with less miles and rust! Who knows I might even go with a 4wd V8 next time. My only fear with that is Dodge's automatic tranny's!!

Our Expert Review: 1999 Dodge Dakota