2006 Dakota

3.7 out of 5 starsInterior Design
3.9 out of 5 starsReliability

QuadCab OK with the little 3.7v6

by Ol'timer from Charlotte area NC on March 30, 2009

QC, 3.6L v6 auto, SLT 4x4 55K miles. 2nd Owner, purchassed with 34K. I haul light duty (dirt bikes & 19' bowrider boat) to and from the SC tracks or NC lakes (~75 mile roundtrip). Although the little V6 could use some more power, it does well and does exactly what I expected. Small truck less power, and less gas... but then again it all depends on where you?re coming from... I came from a 350 Blazer with 10 mpg. 17 mpg + a smooth ride seems quite an improvement. Fits a full-sized family of 4, hauls my junk when needed, and does well on light off-roading. Did well in 4-6" of WV snow, but having the 4x4 with 4WLock mode made climbing the rutted hill surprisingly easy. Still can?t figure way they?d make a truck without front ABS. All-in-all, I'd say it?s a keeper.

Review from Repeat Dakota Buyer

by I_Rode_A_Dakota from Missouri on February 12, 2007

Given that Dodge dealers periodically offer steep discounts on the Dakota which are not offered by Toyota on the Tacoma, the price was recently right for me to purchase my second Dodge Dakota. I paid $20K for a $30K 2006 Dakota Quad Cad Sport (with all the whistles and bells of the Laramie), and I LOVE the new truck. The Alpine stereo system with amplifier represents the best car stereo I've ever heard at all volume levels. My Dakota drives and handles just like a car, and I much prefer the interior layout of the Dakota over the Tacoma. Toyota can keep their un-discounted, expensive Tacomas - I'll stick with my Dakota.

Great Truck

by Truck Lover from Atlanta, GA on May 23, 2010

First road trip I got 23 mpg. Better then the vehicle I have now thatis supposed to get 26 mpg. So far I can not say anything bad about this wonderful truck.

95,000 + Miles

by Tj from St. Louis on July 29, 2012

I truly love this truck. The engine has been strong, and performs well. However, it does like its gas. The truck has done great in meeting all my needs. The only problems that I have had, has been the front suspension. Also, the driver seat needs to be restuffed. Other than that, I have no doubt that this truck will still be performing beyond the 200,000 mile mark.

I love this car!

by melissafl from Ocala, Fl on August 20, 2017

This car is one of the best cars I have owned! I bought it in 2014 and it is a 2006 truck and it still runs like I just bought it from the dealership yesterday! Very reliable and has been everything I have needed in a car!

seems to be a solid truck

by joel from milwaukee , Wi on January 6, 2008

This is my 1st truck i ever bought. I rented a 2007 in the summer to tow my brother in laws 19ft four winns boat which is pretty heavy and it did a good job for towing it considering it was a v6 3.7 so I bought a 2006 with the 3.7 v6 due to gas prices. I'am 6ft 5 inches tall and for a mid size truck I have ample leg room. I live in milwaukee wi where we got hit with a lot of snow storms this winter and in 4x4 mode the truck goes thru the snow like a tank without loosing traction on the freeway or streets. The v6 is just a little underpowered when you hit a hill or grade it always has to downshift to maintain speed and the EPA on the v8s are only 1 mile per gallon less so I would reccomend the v8 but the v6 will work decent. The only problem Ive had so far is my wipers and foglamps turn on by themselvs which may be caused by static electricity. They claim the fix is to flash the instrument cluster coumputer but the dealer wont do this for me unless they can duplicate the problem which can be hard to do since its caused by static electricity. Overall the quad cab 3.7 v6 dode dakota is a nice truck that has many uses and applications such as towing a boat , moving stuff , good daily driver , and comfortbly sits the family.

nice midsized truck

by need a pickup truck from central Texas on July 13, 2013

Nice truck overall. 4 door, 4 WD, 4.8 L V8 gasoline engine, tow hitch integrated with the frame and rear bumper. Recently did very well on a 3,000 mile cross country trip. Adequate size bed. Exactly the type of truck I need. Would probably add a camper top as a personal preference.

Best Truck for the money

by Patriot from Springfield on November 2, 2012

The Dodge Dakota is the only true mid-size pickup truck. An adult could actualy sit in the back seat. It also was made in the good old USA in Warren Truck Assembly in Warren, Michigan. Ihighly recomend this truck if you do alot

Very dependable.

by Plindleysmith from Iowa City on July 6, 2017

Needs more leg room for tall drivers, but it works for me. Back seats not really meant for adults although it works for smaller children, which was a problem at times. The MPG is not good at all. Since my children are all grown I really don't have a problem with this truck and mechanically I have had few problems. It was a good buy for me.

Does not recommend this car!!

2006 Dakota

by Hooter Hunter from Burbank, OK on February 25, 2013

Purchased a 2006 Dakota 4x4 with the 4.7 V8 with about 59K miles. Overall, I am happy with the purchase although I had to replace the rack & pinion assembly a week after I bought it. It was fine when I bought it (checked under the truck for leaks) but started losing fluid after a weekend where I put about 1000 miles on the truck. Other than that, I love the truck.

1 2 3 4 5