Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2008 Dakota

2008 Dodge Dakota

2008 Dodge Dakota

4.5

Have You Driven the 2008 Dodge Dakota?

Best truck for light to medium work

by Dakota King from Lawrenceburg,Tn on Tue May 29 2012

I have owned 8 dakotas!! Never had any major problems, just normal wear and tear. I still have a 98 with 268k and work out of it every day. The 08 is a Laramie with every toy dodge makes for those . This is like the best one ever. But it does have street tires on a 4x4 but my wife loves this better than all the vehicles we have had.

Best truck for your money!

by Jared Valente on Wed Nov 15 2017

You do not need a $40,000 Ford F-150. When you can buy a used Dodge Dakota. I currently own a 2008 Dodge Dakota Sport Crew cab, with the 4.7 magnum V8. It is all black. It is a fast little fun truck that can do a whole lot. I used it once to bring plants, stone and small trees to my house. Did not struggle. Also it can tow around 7000 pounds. Pretty much the same as a Ram 1500. I know the after market is not popular but I did do things to it and plan on doing more. K/N cold air intake and a Flowmaster exhaust really woke the truck up. My friend owns a Subaru BRZ and he has more fun in my truck than his car. So if you are looking for a truck check out a Dodge Dakota. You will not regret it.

more truck for the money

by maverick from GREENWOOD,AR on Fri May 06 2011

THIS DAKOTA IS JUST THE TRUCK I WANTED AND I AM VER PLEASED. THIS IS THE FOURTH DODGE TRUCK I HAVE OWNED AND I WOULD SAY THE BEST TRUCK FOR THE MONEY. I HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT.

Love This Truck

by Dakota Dave from on Sat Mar 07 2009

Very very happy with this purchase. It is a pleasure to drive. It handles very well and feels very stable on the road. It is a very comfortable truck to ride in.

It's a good value for the money

by Pat from Martinsburg, WV on Wed Feb 01 2012

I have owned a 2008 TRX Dodge Dakota for about 18 months now. I like the way it drives and handles. The suspension is sprung a bit soft but not a big deal. Plenty of power, the extra large pop up camper I tow feels like nothing behind it. I like the styling cues and I get quite a few compliments on the truck. If you don't want to go full size then I believe this truck should be the next in line to review because I am enjoying the truck. Toyota was too small and the Nissan also didn't have the interior room. Ford Ranger is a good truck but it bounced the fillings out of my teeth. Give the Dodge a look, you won't be sorry you did.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

It is great and nice truck

by JC from Olathe KS on Sat Nov 29 2008

I was able to save some money so when it is time to sell it and I probably would get more than I spent for it (saved about $7000)

2008 Dodge dakota

by Georgerm93 from Groton ny on Wed Sep 06 2017

I like this vehicle. I got the 3.7l v6 dakota and i get good gas mileage. Around 17mpgs daily driving. It pulls my 3400 pound, 19 foot camper with no problem. But with that beo g said i run stock size tire and i go through Alot of ball joints..

I like my truck.

by William from Fayetteville on Fri Nov 23 2018

Other than NOT being told that my truck had a factory recall on the Takata airbags on both the driver side and front passenger airbags, my truck is great.

Does not recommend this car!!

One of the Best Trucks on the Road

by dakota fan from Denver, CO on Sat Feb 23 2008

I had the chance to spend a weekend with a 2008 4WD 4-Door Dodge Dakota V8. We used it to move, and it did that perfectly. The ride is excellently smooth, and the cabin is quiet. INTERIOR The interior is one of the best, if not THE best interior I've ever seen in a Mid-Size pickup truck. The plastic, with nicely done graining, is easily cleaned with a simple swipe of an Armor-All wipe. Storage options are plentiful, including a Cell-Phone holder in the center console, 5 cupholders in the cabin, and a dashboard organizer - a nice touch. The interior is very spacious, and the seats were adequately padded, with a lot of support. The firmness and softness/comfort of the seats is well-balanced. Interior fit and finish is good. CAPABILITIES We used our Dakota for moving, which means we only used the bed. Our SLT model came with built-in bed rails, which helped to secure cargo, and were easily adjusted and used. ENGINE AND POWERTRAIN The V8 Magnum engine we had supplied more than enough power to do almost anything we threw at it. It accelerated he same when we had a full load in back than when it was empty. It delivers a healthy V8 groan, and is well-suited for the truck. It returned overall 18. 5 mpg between city and highway driving - a spectacular figure for a V8 truck of its size. The transmission is smooth, and it was overall very pleasant to work with. SAFETY AND SECURITY The 2008 Dodge Dakota comes standard with Front Advanced Airbags, with side curtain airbags for one or two rows available. Side torso airbags are not available. In NHTSA tests, the Dakota earned 5 stars in Front, Side, and Rear tests, while earning 4 stars in rollover - an excellent rating for a vehicle of this size. OVERALL IMPRESSIONS The Dodge Dakota is better than the foreign competition, and is definitely worth a look. It rides smoother than the Toyota Tacoma, and the interior is much more useful. The Dakota can also tow more. My son wants one, and I fully plan on getting him one (with side airbags). It is a solid truck that I would feel confident with him in. It handles well (feels like you're driving a car), does anything a mid-size truck should, and is overall a solid value.

Pleasantly Surprised

by Westtexgeo from Houston on Thu Nov 20 2008

I've had my Dakota SLT for about 6 months and couldn't be more pleased. I considered the Tacoma and Frontier along with the Dakota and it came to getting the most truck for the least amount of money, and Dodge was certainly willing to deal. I gave them my list of specs and they were able to find an exact match and get the truck delivered in a few days. I was going to stay bottom line, but being used to some features in previous vehicles, I decided on the SLT extended cab and I haven't second guessed my decision. It handles well, has plenty of room, both inside (behind the seats and with multiple cubby holes and drink holders) and outside with a near full size bed. The truck came with a bed liner and Dodge's adjustable tie downs/utility rails which I've used many times. The SLT comes with a lot of nice features (check their website) and the 3.3 L V6 has ample power, even when towing a trailer. Mileage is pretty much as advertized, about 17-18 in the city and mid 20s on the highway. With the lifetime power train warranty it's one less thing to worry about. Absolutely no problems so far.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2008 Dodge Dakota

The Dodge Dakota of the late '90s was one of the early midsize pickup trucks on the market. It was ahead of its time in that regard, as most other once-small pickups have since grown to match the Dakota's size.

Dodge's revisions to the Dakota for 2008 fall short of a full redesign, but the changes do add a little life to the truck (see a side-by-side comparison with the 2007 model). While its updated styling should enhance its appeal, and its base engine delivers acceptable performance, the Dakota's stiff ride may be an unappreciated surprise to first-time truck buyers.

Styling
The Dakota's overall shape is largely the same as it was before, but the front is more streamlined thanks to a new hood, headlights... Read More