1999 Dodge Grand Caravan consumer reviews

$21,340 starting MSRP
side view of 1999 Grand Caravan Dodge
Explore the 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan

My second review of the same vehicle 1.5 years lat

Ok, this is my second review of my 1999 Dodge Caravan SE 15th anniversary edition. I have owned and regularly driven the van now since Nov 2019. I have taken it on 4 trouble free long road trips within Western Canada plus moved items and camped it in a lot. I bought it with both rear seat benches removed so the van has tons of room. So, Ive replaced a few parts along the way. The large serpentine drive belt, the alternator, and battery,the wiper motor, all 3 wiper blades, the two front stabilizer bars, (Moog brand). The front brake pads, new coolant and few oil and filter changes of course as well as one transmission fluid change. I have done all this so the van lasts me which it has. Ive put 30, 000 kms on it approx since buying it. Im in this vehicle for the long haul. I believe it will last me another 5 to 10 years at least with no major problems. Its very reliable and the 3 3 V6 has adequate power with good gas mileage.the 4 speed auto transmission has also proved very reliable.

4.0

Ve4y good large minivan

I bought this used 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 15th anniversary edition last November, 2019. It had just over 300000 km on the odometer and I knew I was in for some repairs and general maintenance. After an oil change, lube and the large drivebelt replaced, I was immediately able to take the van on a 2500 km road trip from Vancouver to Calgary and back with no problems. I am very impressed of the durability of this Dodge van. After arriving back , the old alternator showed its wear by not charging the system. I replaced this and the battery so far. The step on parking brake release mechanism also needs work as well as a new brake pad and caliper for the front left wheel. Other work I'll do this summer will include a new wiper motor and a new oil pressure sensor. Overall though; this van has been great; has tons of room and I expected to have to replace a few parts when I bought it very cheaply so it's been great so far in the 7 months I've owned it.

This is a great vehicle low milage 1 owner car.

Clean title new belt reliable in everyday low mileage. It's very dependable. Clean. Can take middle seat out to haul things. Great motor.

3.7

good for our family

We owned three Dodge Grand Caravans over 16 years. Bought all of them used. The '99 was our second. Never had any of the transmission issues we were warned about, but definitely went through a lot of brake jobs. We liked the comfort and storage capacity of the extended version for our family of six. Despite significant maintenance costs, all in all, the Grand Caravan served us well. Now it's time for us to move on from the mini-van phase.

Best Car I've Owned!

My husband and I realized the other day that I have owned/driven 3 different new Dodge Caravans since 1985, when our youngest son was born! I bought a new one in 1992 because I wanted a different color. When I was involved in an accident in 1999, I bought my third Grand Caravan. At the time, I was the only mom who was at home during the summer, so I needed a large vehicle to transport 4 boys to golf practice. This car has served me well -- just regular maintenance and one air conditioner job. It has hauled: teacher materials and classroom furniture; furniture for our home; our family (including my parents and brother) to our sons' out-of-town college graduations; and most important -- our granddaughter when she visits. My husband has repeatedly asked me over the years if I would like a new car. My response -- "No." I kept this car because it's reliable and I feel safe in it. Yes, I can afford a new, expensive car...but I'm hanging onto my Caravan! BTW, it has 84,000 miles on it -- it's "babied". :)

2.3

not reliable

we bought it as a test drive car , styling is okay, Performance is alright, reliability is what makes it Garbage. a recall on the first year, a leaking transmission when it was about 2 years old, leaking antifreeze about 7 years old, but the worst was when it would randomly die on you, just driving and the engine dies on you, you also loose power steering, we sent it to the dealership to get fixed then it happened again, in total it happened 3 times, third time fixed it, finally at 11 years old, sometime it wouldn't even start, so we sold it and bought a toyota

Very comfortable

I bought this van to haul my grandkids around. Nice smooth running van. Very easy to take out the rear seats when not needed to haul bigger items. Very happy with this van.

4.0

amazing vehicle

my mother bought this car in 2008 used. she previously had a 1996 chrysler town and country that had a bad transmition. we all love this car,it gets great gas mileage, it gets you where you need to go every time, and has no major problems. the only problems we had were with the starter and a bit of transmition trouble (just because we were low on transmition fluid). it runs great and starts every day. This is one of the best cars we have ever owned.

4.3

Been a great vehicle

Bought used in 04 to haul our 2 kids, their friends, and a 100lb dog. It has plenty of room and handles and runs like a car. The 3.3l and 4spd ran strong right up to trade in day at 165,000 miles. Fuel mileage dropped a bit near the end : 26 highway down to about 22 or so. Although I couldn't keep up with the rust toward the end, it has been a very reliable car. I would recommend it to others as long as it comes with 4spd, V6 and NO SUNROOF!

4.4

After 185000 Miles

I have been driving this vehicle forever it seems and the only breakdown repair required was a new fuel pump(in the gas tank) at 65000 miles. I do all the regular maintenace and change the oil every 5000 miles in engine and every 10000 in transmission. The front brakes usually get replaced at about 15000 miles, but the back brakes seem to last more than 50000 miles!