2009 Grand Caravan

4.2 out of 5 starsInterior Design
3.8 out of 5 starsReliability

Prob with brakes always

by Soccer mom from on May 30, 2017

My only 2 complaints on this van are the very back seats are uncomfortable and no leg space and I have owned this van since 2010 and am constantly getting the brakes fixed. I have never had a prob with brakes on any other vehicle. I hear many other Dodge grand caravan owners complain of the same thing with the brakes, otherwise I love the stow n go, it is very convenient. Other than the very back I love the space and will never switch back to a car again.

Most reliable

by Family on July 20, 2017

This car is very nice and good car . It is really reliable car and you can drive it to anywhere you want to go without any problem and it is flex full

I loved this van!

by My second home from Walkersville, Md on October 4, 2017

This van was awesome. I could fit anything inside of it. All you had to do was pull a string and Bam seat was gone. From lumber to bikes to box's and kids. I loved the back up camera. It was the first time I had one and with so many kids in my neighborhood it was a great safety feature. I drive for a living and the pick up and handling was amazing. It handled like my second skin. Tons of space for stuff and cup holders gallore. I will miss driving her but onward to a new one.

2009 Grand Caravan SXT

by Van Man from Iowa on August 26, 2009

Love this van so far. Very comfy and the 4.0 has some real power. The ride is smooth and the braking system is very nice. The handling is good with the suspension package that comes with the 4.0 liter motor. Swivel n Go seats are nice with built in boosters and I found them more comfy than the Stow and Go. The premium sound is incredible and the kids love having their own DVD screen that operate independently with wireless headphones. The running boards are more of a problem than they are worth. They actually make getting in and out more difficult. Stay away from the running boards unless you really like the way they look. Backup camera is ok but not nearly as useful as the NAV package. Very nice ride.

I tried to like it

by Westwind from Abington, MA on June 11, 2014

After 5 years and 83K= miles on our van, I would have to say that it is just average. The worst complaint that I have is with the brakes. The front brakes & rotors were replaced @ 21k miles, rear brakes & rotors replaced @ 32k miles. Front rotors resurfaced @ 48k. Paid over $1,500 to get front & rear brakes & rotors replaced @74K miles. Had to bring it back to the dealership @ 80K miles to have the front & rear brakes & rotors replaced again, N/C to us that time. All four tires were replaced @ 56K and we just had the powertrain inspected & fluid replaced for $270. I was driving it last night and turned on the AC - not cold at all. We have one more payment to make this month and I am afraid that the van will slowly nickel & dime us over the next few years. The only bright spot is that it is comfortable on the highway and the 4.0 L engine has been terrific. I don't think we will purchase another Dodge / Chrysler / Jeep vehicle again.

Issues with Reliability

by Usedtolikedodge from Rochester, mn on April 9, 2014

We really liked the van until problems started creeping up. First there was a pin-hole in the air conditioning line that our mechanic had to find. Now we have been having problems with the ignition. I was informed by the dealership it is the WIN module which costs $100 and has $700 in labor. I started doing some research and found that many people have been having this issue but Dodge has not had a recall on it. It doesn't cause a safety issue other than you can't start it after you shut it off. It looks like this issue starts happening around 60-70K mile.

Best Family Van for Value

by swiftgoose from Cambridge, Ont, Canada on February 28, 2009

This is an unbeatable family vehicle. We compared this to Honda (expensive and still unreliable, interior easily destroyed by youngsters) and Toyota (expensive!). The interior is durable stuff, the interior space is great, it has tons of storage, opening side windows is very handy. The entertainment system (30gig hard drive, ipod port, advanced radio scan, DVD with wireless headsets so we can listen to the radio while the kids watch a movie) is incredible! Handling is solid but nimble. Rearview camera is indispensible. Gas mileage is very good for a van! This van handles better than others we tested in the snow (we're in Canada) and this is a key feature for why we love this vehicle. The spare under the middle of the car is a little annoying. Otherwise, this is a top class product.

Works for Me

by Camper from Quakertown, PA on September 3, 2012

We are retired. We bought a one-year old SXT with a 3.8L engine and 6 speeds. It is now our only vehicle and it has 65,000 miles on it. Except for worn rotors, there have been no unusual repairs. We bought this vehicle for recreational travel instead of getting a camper. We leave the stow n go seats permanently stowed. The ample cargo area holds a layer of coolers, bins, camp chairs, etc, that support a trimmed sheet of plywood with a camping matress. Both the vehicle itself and the cargo configuration worked well during a 10,000 mile road trip out west. Power is adequate for western mountains. Manual override to select from many gear speeds is handy on descent. We can get 22 mpg on the highway. We are happy with our 'camper' van and have accumulated great memories.

2009 Grand Caravan SE a Great Value

by Working Guy from Alberta, Canada on January 31, 2011

It rides and drives perfect in my opinion, we have had no issues or warranty repairs. Owned it for over a year and a half now. I really like this Caravan, nice ride, good overall vehicle for day to day driving, hauling the kids or whatever else one may want to move. The optional Sto & Go seats makes it a cargo van and a people mover. Surprised how often we have folded the seats into the floor to make room while hauling stuff in the time that we have owned this one. I also like smooth. The SE model comes with a smooth running proven 3.3 engine hooked to a very nice shifting 4 speed auto transmission. It's simple, easy to clean, yet an elegant design of the interior. The boxy exterior design fits it well for the function this vehicle is intended to serve. This is our third brand new caravan since 1995 and it is the best value and nicest one so far. For you people out there looking at Honda or Toyota that cost up to 10 thousand more I would tell you to save your money. I looked around before buying Dodge again and I know. Take a good look at a Grand Caravan, there is a reason they are the number one selling van in North America. The best advice that I can give you is to take a good look at the features of a caravan and then compare feature for feature with the competition. While your looking take whatever your considering buying for a long test drive. Please keep one thing in mind when test driving new cars. Most new cars never have any gas in the tank when your on a test drive. Why? I think it is because they really don't want you to drive the vehicle and get the feel of it. Don't be pressured into a run around the block!!!! You need to put in some gas and "really take whatever you looking at for a test drive". ( When I read over what I have typed here it sounds like I am a salesman. Just to be clear I am not a salesman nor am I associated with the car industry in any way, this is just my review of our current Grand Caravan SE. Yes, I like it. )

Most anticipated car

by j2m_71 from PA on July 8, 2009

Have owned it for 40 days now. Got a fully loaded version at an awsome price! Do not have any regrets. Took the family on a 1000 mile journey and the impressio - QUITE! HEAVEN! the children loved the dual screens and no third world war on the backseat.Stow and Go provide for so much extra storage space. Will recommend it to unreserverdly.

1 2 3