2012 Dodge Grand Caravan

Family of 6 always on the go!

by from Ontario, Canada on January 7, 2013

Our third minivan and by far the best to date. It is 2102 Grand Caravan SXT PLus. It now has 97,000 kms !! on it in two and a half years and only the front brakes needed attention. We are still running the original tires and are probably looking at the 110,000 mark for replacement. The power liftgate is a must have for those with a large family as loading hockey bags, groceries etc just got easier. Dual climate control with the rear control for the kids is a no brainer. We have the 3.3 litre and while it may not be overly impressive with passing power - you have to remember that this is a minivan afterall and has to be driven accordingly. For those that complain it lacks power - you would be correct if you were comparing it to a sedan. It does it's job remarkably well.....quiet, comfortable interior with a user friendly Navigation system. What more could a family of 4-6 possibly want? You sit up higher than a sedan would offer, giving you a better perspective on the traffic around you..it also has an excellent safety rating. We are convinced that for the money - it is one of the best bargains on the market today. Our last van lasted 10 years and this one will no doubt match that.

Great vehicle, super sales transaction

by from Massillon, Ohio on July 31, 2012

Normally I am a die-hard Chevy guy, but this time, family needs and strong input from my wife gave me reason to look at and buy the new dodge caravan. The comfort and performance was very similar to my Chevrolet Venture (no longer made by Chevrolet). The interior and exterior styling exceeded my expectations, but the feature that really got my attention, was the stow and go seating. What a concept. Pull a strap, push the seat into the floor of the vehicle and I have room to carry about anything I want, including my wife's mobility equipment. If you have a need for a good looking, snappy and versatile van in your life, Dodge deserves a look.

the road hammer

by from ontario canada on August 26, 2012

bought our 2012 grand caravan new in late may. we took it on a 5000 km road trip in early july. had it loaded down with 3 teenage sons and my wife and i. also had a large roof top carrier and every nook and cranny filled with stuff. excellant seats no one complained of comfort, excellant ac with fast cool down. very steady road manners even with considerable weight and nasty wind we ran into. very good economy, got between 23.5 and 27 mpg depending on the very long mountain climbs we got into. engine was very strong and found the slap shift feature very useful in keeping the engine in its power range. excellent radio with very good sound. one feature i like is the radio controls in the steering wheel. stow and go is extremely useful. this is an extremely competant van, quiet and represents excellent value for the money. it goes about its business with little fan fare leaving me glad i purchased it.. cheers

Great family hauler

by from Chicago, IL on April 2, 2013

We have the Grand Caravan Crew version, including one flip down video screen, Sirius radio, backup camera, remote starter, bluetooth, power side doors and power liftgate. The same feature set on the Odyssey or the Sienna would have pushed the price well north of 30K. In addition to the obvious benefits of built in video, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that mom and dad can listen to the radio while the kids use wireless headphones for their movies. There's an inverter to power small electronics along with two plugs in front, and endless places to stow gear and supplies. The UConnect system is intuitive and easy to navigate. It's a little bit of a reach to access some of the touchscreen controls but that's a minor quibble. I regret not having the GPS since the screen is large and readable. The ride and seats are reasonably comfortable, especially considering that the seats disappear into the floor. The V6 has very good power and is a nice, smooth engine. On the minus side, lack of an independent rear suspension is notable - the back end feels rough over over bumpy pavement. And the transmission is a weakness. Downshifts are delayed and awkward on acceleration and I've had to learn to finesse the accelerator a little bit to compensate. Still, when you need power, it's readily available. It's surprisingly nimble and provides a feeling of confidence even in crowded city driving. Braking is excellent, especially for such a large vehicle. For the price, a few tradeoffs are inevitable and Dodge has done a good job of providing all the essentials without a budget busting pricetag. The fully loaded Grand Caravan is undoubtedly superior to the stripped down versions of the pricier Japanese competitors. I'd recommend that anybody considering the Sienna or Odyssey take a good long look at the Grand Caravan. You can take a pretty fancy family road trip with all the money you'll save.

2012 dodge caravan crew

by from Brooklyn, NY on January 16, 2013

Great for traveling with the family. Excellent value. .cars.com played an excellent roll in assisting me with Getting a great price.

Best Bang for the Buck Minivan

by from Newport, RI on November 21, 2012

We rented a Dodge Grand Caravan for two weeks and fell in love with it. The Stow n Go seats are awesome! They fold into the floor when extra space is needed. The Grand Caravan has the most horsepower and towing capacity in its class. Those are some of the reasons why we bought a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T.

love our stow and go grand caravan

by from Grand Prairie, TX on July 4, 2013

We bought a pre-owned 2006 Grand Caravan in 2008. For the last 5 years we have LOVED our Grand Caravan! It is just perfect for being a car and/or a potential cargo carrier. The seats fold completely flat because of that stow and go feature. Our old one had all the features with the entertainment console on the ceiling. The car beeps when I'm about to hit something when I'm backing up. My 2006 just turned over the 100,000 mile so I wanted to get the exact same vehicle just younger. We found a Grand Caravan Crew at Holt in Arlington. They gave us a really good deal. The remote for the video was missing but Holt ordered me a new one for no charge. I really appreciate the way they treated us and we LOVE our new car. Couldn't be happier! Happy Happy Happy! : )

Continuous brake problem and axle problem

by from Texas on March 31, 2014

Serious continuous brake problems, also serious axle problem, only 40K miles. The older models I had were so reliable and ran forever. My mechanic says they have seen lots of newer ones with problems

nice mini van

by from Coon rapids MN on March 19, 2013

Very nice car. Exactly what we were looking for. Sometimes seems to run a little rough and with only 30,000 miles on it it should feel more smooth in my opinion. Overall a great vechicle!

great choice

by from boston on April 1, 2012

i owned a 96 gc and loved it i upgrade to 2012 it was a refined interior and with the options it was excellent for the money. the grand caravan has a lot of power 283 horsepower propelling the engie. the entertainment system is excellent the kids love it its great w/ the long trips. the comforbility is amazing with the long drive it feels pretty good . the GC is great for the money. I owned the 96 GC for 14 years with no problems the reliability is great. I the 2012 GC i had only paid 35 dollars for a flat. the GC is a great family hauling machine and feels x100 better than japeneese minivan.

Our Expert Review: 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan