1999 Neon

4.2 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
4.1 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

not the best but sure is close

by NeonDude from Va Beach, Va on November 10, 2006

I recently purchased my 99 neon used, with 89,000 miles for way less than blue book. Everyday it starts, runs great and gets me on a long trip with much less gas than my former 2005 chevy cavalier plus it actually rides better. The best thing about this car is its pretty simple to work on, and gets about 415 miles to a tank of gas on the highway! Its by far the best car i``ve driven/ owned, but its definately one i would buy again if i have the chance. This particular car is a 99 Dodge neon r/t sedan with a 2.0 DOHC engine and auto matic transmission.

Great Car

by JeremyH from on January 23, 2017

I used to make fun of people who drove Neons, until I ended up with a 99 Sport 5-speed. Very fun to drive. One of the best cars i've ever owned.

Great commuter/weekend racer

by Blue Streak from VA on February 21, 2008

Okay, it's not a true sports car. But the Neon R/T is a great budget racer, especially if you're into the sport compact scene. I've owned two Neons: First a 98 Sport with an automatic, then, later when I caught the racing bug, a 99 R/T with the 5speed, which I modded out with basic engine bolt-ons. These cars are immensely fun to drive and handle like go-karts with basic suspension mods. There is a lot of aftermarket support as well as enthusiast websites devoted to the Neon. I was particularly amazed at how reliable the R/T proved to be. It took me 2 years of drag racing the car on weekends before something finally broke. (PSA: If you're going racing, invest in a limited-slip differential) And there is a certain guilty pleasure in running door-to-door with a stock Mustang GT at the track and then getting 28mpg on your way home. :)

Neon R/T

by Diesel580ck from Florida on December 12, 2009

I had a 2dr blue with silver stripes R/T 5 speed. My only complaint with the car was at 80mph it was turning over 4000rpm. On the interstate with a performance exhaust it grew very tiresome. The little car still got great mileage even spinning high rpm. It handled like a go cart, off the line acceleration was a little lacking because of the 2.0L DOHC's lack of low end torque but once the engine got wound up to over 3000rpm it was fine, you just have to launch hard.

On rails

by Cornering is everythng from Marlboro, NY on January 13, 2010

188,000 miles on my '99 Neon ACR. Super flingable - handles like it is on rails, awesome brakes, 14-sec. quarter miles, and 32 MPH. What's not to like?

my first car

by i love my neon from Duluth, MN on October 2, 2011

I love my 99 neon sport! this was my first car (after the one my parents let me use). i have had no major problems with this car. i love it! its fun and small, and super easy to do your own work. i have done the breaks and oil with little prior experience. I live in Duluth mn and i have had no problems with the steep hill sin the middle of blizzards. :)

First Owned Car

by Javi from Monterrey, Mx on April 21, 2007

Very good car, many after market products are available. Customization is very easy. Overall, it's a very good car... :)

Fun and cheap

by 4drturbo from Olathe, KS on March 30, 2017

I have owned many Neons from SRT-4's to base 2nd Gen automatics, to 2nd gen R/Ts. But my little 1999 Neon Coupe DOHC with a 5 speed transmission was a blast to drive. I got mid to high 30's mpg and during the summer months I got over 40 a handful of times. Car weighs only 2400lbs and has the 150hp/132tq 2 liter. Manual windows, manual locks, only 1 rear speaker worked due to previous owner removing the front speakers. I owned the car around 4 years and had no major mechanical problems and it had over 180k when I sold it. Previous owner did put a new cylinder head in it along with timing belt/waterpump/tensioner and all that jazz. So it was set to go another 100k miles. Car handled very well and is known to dominate the front wheel drive naturally aspirated 4 cylinder autocross class. Thef act they can be picked up cheap is really nice. I sold mine mainly due to safety. They do horrible in crash tests and it had me a little worried on my commutes to work and back. The T-350 transmission shifts so smooth. Can rev up to 7200rpms stock. You can also get an aftermarket PCM or Mopar performance PCM that raises the rev limit to 8k! Not bad at all. Very easy to work on and parts are very cheap.