1999 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews

Change Year
1999 Dodge Neon
4.5
Average based on 6 reviews

not the best but sure is close

by from Va Beach, Va on November 10, 2006

I recently purchased my 99 neon used, with 89,000 miles for way less than blue book. Everyday it starts, runs great and gets me on a long trip with much less gas than my former 2005 chevy cavalier plus it actually rides better. The best thing about this car is its pretty simple to work on, and gets about 415 miles to a tank of gas on the highway! Its by far the best car i``ve driven/ owned, but its definately one i would buy again if i have the chance. This particular car is a 99 Dodge neon r/t sedan with a 2.0 DOHC engine and auto matic transmission.

Great commuter/weekend racer

by from VA on February 21, 2008

Okay, it's not a true sports car. But the Neon R/T is a great budget racer, especially if you're into the sport compact scene. I've owned two Neons: First a 98 Sport with an automatic, then, later when I caught the racing bug, a 99 R/T with the 5speed, which I modded out with basic engine bolt-ons. These cars are immensely fun to drive and handle like go-karts with basic suspension mods. There is a lot of aftermarket support as well as enthusiast websites devoted to the Neon. I was particularly amazed at how reliable the R/T proved to be. It took me 2 years of drag racing the car on weekends before something finally broke. (PSA: If you're going racing, invest in a limited-slip differential) And there is a certain guilty pleasure in running door-to-door with a stock Mustang GT at the track and then getting 28mpg on your way home. :)

First Owned Car

by from Monterrey, Mx on April 21, 2007

Very good car, many after market products are available. Customization is very easy. Overall, it's a very good car... :)

On rails

by from Marlboro, NY on January 13, 2010

188,000 miles on my '99 Neon ACR. Super flingable - handles like it is on rails, awesome brakes, 14-sec. quarter miles, and 32 MPH. What's not to like?

Neon R/T

by from Florida on December 12, 2009

I had a 2dr blue with silver stripes R/T 5 speed. My only complaint with the car was at 80mph it was turning over 4000rpm. On the interstate with a performance exhaust it grew very tiresome. The little car still got great mileage even spinning high rpm. It handled like a go cart, off the line acceleration was a little lacking because of the 2.0L DOHC's lack of low end torque but once the engine got wound up to over 3000rpm it was fine, you just have to launch hard.

my first car

by from Duluth, MN on October 2, 2011

I love my 99 neon sport! this was my first car (after the one my parents let me use). i have had no major problems with this car. i love it! its fun and small, and super easy to do your own work. i have done the breaks and oil with little prior experience. I live in Duluth mn and i have had no problems with the steep hill sin the middle of blizzards. :)