2003 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews

Change Year
2003 Dodge Neon
3.5
Average based on 17 reviews

Get rid of it before the warrantee expires!

by from Elko, NV on March 8, 2007

I bought mine w/10000 miles on it, and followed the maint. schedule almost perfectly, including transmission service, and even though it was strictly a highway commute vehicle (doesn't get any gentler) the transmission blew at 75000 miles. Over $3000 to replace it. Car's only worth $5000 with that many miles on it and a functioning tranny! My warrantee expired less than two months before the tranny expired...now that's good tolerance-engineering, but lousy ethical engineering, cynically speaking.

The Worst Car Ever

by from Malibu, CA on January 28, 2008

I bought my 2003 Neon with 120 miles. The warrantee expired at 36,000 miles, but once it hit 39,000 miles it started to shake badly and stall all the time. While driving or sitting in traffic. I traded it in once it hit 53,761 miles, because it just died for the 13th time! I did keep up maintenance, but the vehicle just had one problem after another. This vehicle is NOT RELIABLE. I really liked it, but it just didn't work mechanically. It is the worst car ever built!!! No wonder it was discontinued after 2005!!!

Works okay for the first 25k miles

by from Pittsburgh, PA on May 30, 2006

I've owned this car for under three years, and have replaced front and rear brakes (front due to normal wear, the back brakes cracked and fell off while in use), replaced the control arm bushings, fixed the exhaust system, and I have to get it aligned every few months because it won't keep...in addition to all the regular wear and tear fixes. Also, the interior fabric shows a lot of wear (even water seems to stain) and the nifty colored surround to the radio scuffs and scratches. Lastly, though this isn't a major thing, if you want to add a bike rack to a version of this car with a spoiler, your only option is roof mount or hitch mount, which will take lots of additional time and kits, especially for the non-hardcore enthusiast. For the money, find a car that holds up better over the long haul (all my problems happened before the car hit 40,000) and suits your lifestyle well.

too bad 05 is the last year for neon

by from Gulf Coast on April 12, 2007

2003 sxt manual trans with 60K+ on it. Drives like a champ. I have beat on it for over a year now with not so much as a whimper. I have added a few bolt on performance parts for a few additional ponies to up the fun factor. Car handles well, but short front travel (2") makes for some harsh bumps at speed (unseen potholes and railroad tracks taken too fast will rattle your fillings out). Interior is straight economy but does the job. Would like more side bolstering in seats to keep me from sliding during spirited driving. I hope to have this car for a long, long time and slowly build it up to where I want it to be. Great first car for teens, also good 2nd car for a family.

Perfect for a high school student!

by from Tampa, FL on July 16, 2007

I got this car while still in high school. It was bought with just over 30,000 miles in Oct of 2004. Since then, I've driven it from Washington state to FL, from Tampa to Atlanta 4 times, to Daytona and back and to Orlando probably twice a month. I haven't completely kept up with the maintenance but I still haven't had a single problem. All I've had to go was replace the spark plugs and get a new filter. The car takes corners wonderfully (which can be really fun with friends!), and is great on gas. It's not the fastest car out there, but it can really pack a punch if you're not scared to push it. I have crashed it twice actually (backed into parked car and drove into a ditch) and my car is still perfect. It's a very safe car, and it's fun...plus it was only $7,000! I love it!

Neon Red

by from Corona, CA on December 29, 2010

I have owned this car since it was brand new. It has never given me problems. If my husband will agree with me, I want to replace our Caravan with another Neon.

very reliable

by from saratoga,ny on October 11, 2010

We have had a neon sense 2001, loved. Only needed your minor repairs. It was time to get another car so we got another neon.

baby it

by from burlington,nc on September 10, 2009

Everything but reliability is fair to good.My dodge goes thru tranny chips and cam sensors every year or 2.And of course having to replace the gas cap every year.I also have an old 94 sentra with 190,000 miles,I flip a coin on which is more reliable

Watch out for the transmission!

by from So Cal on September 28, 2009

We bought our Neon 2 years used in 2004 and loved it until we made it to 45K miles. It began to sputter, sometimes stalling, which it still does today. But at 51K miles, when the warranty expired at 50K, the tranny went out. We, and even the mechanic at the dealership, had to battle for a replacement despite being only 1,000 miles over. It does handle turns well though, and is fun to drive, but being a mom now, I don't think that's such a great perk anyways! At this point we can hardly wait to get a new car and recycle this one for the metal, lol.

Very Reliable Car & I Recomend It

by from Florida on April 19, 2009

Over 61,000 Miles and looks new...runs excellent...Thanks God for this car at this price. Very good performance with 6 years of continue use and still saving fuel and maintenance cost.