2009 Nitro

4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

In Love with my Nitro

by Joey D 13903 from Binghamton, NY on November 23, 2015

As I shopped around for a used car I didn't really find anything that stood out. Until I found my Nitro. I read all the reviews, researched the vehicle and the competition and decided to buy the Nitro. I am so glad I did. The exterior styling may put some off but what I love is that it's so unique. As another reviewer stated people have no doubt that it's me when they see my car coming down the road. As for the knocks on the interior: I'm 6'01" and my kids are big as well. No issues AT ALL. I'll tell you this much: my kids, my wife and I would all much rather travel in the Nitro that my wife's Honda SUV. Too much plastic? I love the interior. It's not full of useless features and is well laid out, stylish and simple. Which I like. Performance? This thing is a beast. I live in Upstate New York and can speak to a vehicles worthiness in all weather conditions. The rear wheel drive alone is sufficient for the snow; the 4WD just makes it invincible. Reliability? I've done nothing but put gas in it and change the oil, and change out the 20" rims for 16" snows seasonally. Other than that this car has been as dependable as anything I've ever owned. Don't listen to all the "experts." How many times have you watched a movie and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the reviews? Trust people that own these cars: They're awesome!

Best SUV Ever

by asdfjkl from Indiana on November 20, 2014

I bought a 2009 Nitro about two years ago. This is by far the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. I love it. I drive over 50 miles to campus every day and wouldn't trade the comfort of the vehicle for anything. Sure the gas milage isn't great, but what SUV has great gas milage. I haven't had any problems with this vehicle since I bought it. I have put several thousand miles on it over the last couple of years and it drives just like it did when I purchased it with 70,000 miles. We refer to it as "the big orange box". I personally love the uniqueness of how it looks. Everyone knows it's me coming down the road. The 4-wheel drive comes in handy when winter shows up, and it's easy to engage. I even put the back seats down and haul the giant 150 pound Mastiff around with me.

Used Nitro, now the family car.

by LongComute from Riverside on June 21, 2017

I bought this Nitro used with 68k miles, now it has 102k miles. Did a throughout inspection when I first bought it and fixed what little it need it in the first year, has been faithful ever since. Good on gas, not the fastest out of the line but good solid driver. This vehicle must have been part of a fleet but is ours now.

pleasure vehicle for personal use

by jake the snake from kansas city on January 25, 2013

I think they did an excellent job all the way around. What more can I say??? a++++++ Thank you so much

saatisssfied

by mstoopretty from new york, ny on August 7, 2013

So I searched all over the net for a nitro & I looove what I've found on cars.com. Dorschel auto sold me an all black 2009 Dodge nitro. They even brought it to my house from 30 miles away for me to test drive! I've had it for ab a month now & its amazing. The interior is a little lame, especially w two kids, it doesn't take much to stain it. Also the rear view mirrors r humongous Prbly bc I'm 5'3 so I panic when I can't see past it while I'm at a stop sign. Other than that I love this suv. My first car was a 2005 dodge neon n i still have it so im staying in the Dodge family!!!!

overall fun to drive

by dodge fan 70 from Dansville Mi on February 11, 2018

Its been a great suv for our growing family. Fun to drive Tows way better than you would think. I have been able to squeeze 24 mpg out of it also.

Very safe vehicle to drive

by All for Nitro's from Indiana on July 7, 2010

I don't care what anyone has to say about the Dodge Nitro, I love mine. Most people say it looks like a refrigerator box and it gets waved off because it is a Dodge. My entire family owns Chrysler products, so call me biased but I would recommend the Nitro to anyone. I have read reviews where people go for the Fords, Chevrolet's, and foreign outfits and they don't give the Nitro a fair chance. I was recently in a car accident where a person ran a stop sign on a country road and I broad-sided that vehicle going between 50-55 mph. Of course my air bag deployed from the steering wheel and the side-curtain airbag. I walked away from the accident with only minor burns and bruises. My car ended up being totaled, but if you would see the vehicles involved it looks like they are from two completely different accidents. I hit the car with the front of my car and the grille wasn't even scratched. I know that is hard to believe, but please trust me. I am currently car shopping again and I am shopping for another Dodge Nitro. I hope this has influenced you to purchase one too.

So far, it's Ok!!!

by Tippy from Shreveport, LA on December 30, 2010

I bought my car used, with 28,000 miles on it already. It used to be a rental car. I love everything about the car except how it handles bumps in the road. When you hit a bump you better have your seat belt on. I'm not sure if this is just my car and one of the bad things about the car. I love how it responds to the gas pedal, when it's time to get on up the road it responds well. I also love the space that I have for hauling things around in the back. The backseat can be a litle tight.

tranny lines cheap

by dodger from London on December 12, 2017

the tranny lines are weak and exposed keep breaking and tranny is always leaking out over the driveway

Does not recommend this car!!

Dodges aee great cars...

by Gee,$ from milwaukee, wi on April 7, 2018

GREAT VEHICLE!!!! This truck is awesome. Love the way it looks. Im glad i dont see alot of these on the road where im from because i want to be the only one with this vehicle.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2