2002 Dodge Ram 2500 consumer reviews

$21,560–$24,765 MSRP range
side view of 2002 Ram 2500 Dodge
Explore the 2002 Dodge Ram 2500

Best truck in the world

I liked the styling of the new 1983 dodge ram trucks and always wanted a diesel, so in December of 2001 I ordered a built to my specs 2500 quad cab long box 4x4. It's my favorite vehicle, car or truck I've ever owned, I never tire of driving it. It has 352,000 miles on it. Motor never been apart, because I had chip and performance mods, trans got a little weak at 220,000, so swapped out my core for Rev-Max bullet proof tranny, best in the USA. I currently run about 600hp and 1200 pound feet of torque, 22 mpg, can't wait to pull my boat to the lake with her tomorrow!

Love of my life!!!

This is the best truck I’ve owned. My folks were going to sell it and I BEGGED them not to. The Cummins speaks for itself and the body has shown no sign of weakness. I drive it to school everyday and even when she’s cold she starts right up. I absolutely adore this vehicle. For a full size diesel pickup it also gets pretty darn good mpg.

3.4

Nothing but problems

I can best describe it as a lemon. Non stop repairs. Trans failed at 37k miles, front suspension replaced several times. Vacuum pump, uplift pump, fuel pump, radiator, front drive shaft, inner cooler boot, heat actuator, steering box, all failed. All within 120k miles. Engine is strong , but everything else is junk.

Long lasting Cummins motor

This truck exceeds all expectations. Love mine, currently has 250,000 miles and still going strong. Love the power of the Cummins and Dodge did okay on the rest of the truck..

3.3

Okay, Just okay

I bought this truck new in 2002 with the intention of keeping it for the rest of my life.( I was 61 at the time) At 52,000 miles I had to have the transmission replaced which was a disappointment as the vehicle was seldom used and when it was it was for transportation only. The truck now has 79K on it and except for tires I haven't spent a whole lot more on it. It does have a few "problems" with it like a rusted through front fender (replaced in 2012), steering that seems to have a mind of it's own on uneven pavement, but all in all I guess it hasn't been all that bad. My Grandson LOVES the truck and I will probably leave it him when I pass.

3.7

Hard worker

Bought 2002 new. Now has 220000 miles and running strong. Original clutch is a little weak for heavy hauling. Mine is 5sp standard behind Cummins engine..

Does everything then comes back for seconds.

I have had nothing but good luck with this truck, exceptionally reliable and a joy to drive. The cummins engine is first class all the way, the interior is styled very nicely and proves very useful, and the exterior styling is just mean. Everyone loves this truck, the way it looks, the way it drives, the way it sounds, and I can't blame them.

2.1

Not a dodge

Replaced 4 lift pumps and an injection pump (diesel) in the first 100K. Dodge denies there is a problem. Other Dodge owners confirm my experience. The stock lift pump does not provide adequate flow and pressure to the injection pump so ruined the injection pump. Installed a fass aftermarket high flow fuel pump for $600 and has worked well so far. Spent an extra $4000 that should have been covered by Dodge. Won't buy another one. No wonder Ford and GM are doing so well. Spread the word

Great truck

Extremely reliable and was always more than capable of handling anything I could throw at it. If you're looking for a Diesel truck this is the only option in my mind, nothing beats a CTD. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars for comfort is because it's a heavy duty Diesel truck, suspensions are a bit stiff, just didn't feel right giving it a perfect rating for that even though it's not any worse than any other heavy duty truck.

Runs FOREVER

I know of 2 people at work who have these trucks and one of them has 350,000 miles on it! And the other has 275,000 and they both still start up every morning and run GREAT! Mine just broke 200,000 and I can still count on it to go to work every day and pull our 18,000 pound Aux. air compressors for our drill rigs! Unbelievable trucks.