2006 Dodge Ram 2500

Gas or Diesel, can't go wrong

by from Cleveland, Ohio on May 4, 2011

Get ready (as with any 3/4 ton or larger truck) to replace all ball joints, front bearings, tie rod ends, and shocks between 80,000 and 95,000 miles. Other than that, they rock!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best Truck I ever owned.

by from Pike County Ky. Energy capital of America. on May 1, 2011

I am 69 Years old and I have owned trucks since 1964. This the best I have had, and is very reliable. It starts every time even in zero weather.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins

by from Barre, Ma. on September 29, 2016

A couple years ago I bout an '07 Ram 2500 Diesel and absolutely loved the truck. Don't get me wrong, there are quirks with the 3rd gen Cummins trucks, like injectors, front end issues, rust around the rear wheel wells and electrical gremlins from time to time. But if you know these trucks, they're an absolute gem. You can make tons of power with the 5.9l Cummins and there's a ton of aftermarket support for them. These trucks are meant to work but you really need to keep up with regular maintenance. Oil changes, fuel filters, etc. so much easier to work on than the Powerstrokes or Duramax's. I've had a couple vehicles in between but really missed having a diesel. So I found my current '06 and I'm in love all over again.

Dodge RAM 2500 hard to beat!

by from Salt Lake City, UT / Salmon, ID on December 12, 2009

With over 100,000 miles on my truck it still look, pulls and runs like it has 1,000. Had a recalibration of the computer to allow my temp to display correctly when it was new, but has NEVER been back to the dealer for any repairs! I change the oil and grease it every 10k and commonly pull loads on my gooseneck in excess of the trucks capacity... the RAM just keeps on trucking without a complaint! I click off 18 to 21 mpg empty and 12 to 14 mpg pulling. I doubt you could find a better engineered/built truck on the market today! I bought my first Ram 2500 in 1993, put over 350k on it, my second in 2003, put over 130k on it and they just keep getting better... keep up the great work Dodge!

Awesome Diesel Truck

by from San Martin, CA on June 4, 2012

I bought a used 2006 Dodge RAM 2500 Mega Cab 4x2 Diesel truck. This is an awesome truck. I am getting 25 - 27 miles to the gallon around town and 30 miles to the gallon on the highway. I love this truck. Towing is amazing. 7000lbs and I get around 21-22 miles per gallon. If you want an excellent truck go Dodge. I found my truck on cars.com

Issues with vehicle

by from Austin, TX on March 5, 2013

McCloud Automotive sold me the truck with Bad front brakes and broken front tie rods. Cost me over $900.00 to repair. Only had the truck 2 weeks. Went to get it inspected and had to get all of this repaired. Do NOT use this dealer in Killeen, TX

The Beast

by from New Orleans, LA on April 30, 2014

The 5.9 liter Cummins Diesel is one of the most efficient, long lasting and reliable engines ever built. If I keep it under 70, I get 23.4 mpg on the highway (about 19 in town). It does need to run long (60+ miles) at least once a week. Interior is only average but much improved over earlier models. This truck is a beast...built for hard work. Don't buy it if you want it for dating! The ride is rough. The features are basic. If you need a great pulling truck that gets amazing fuel mileage, this is your truck. With good maintenance, the engine will last 1/2 - 1 million miles. Cover the seats and when the interior starts going bad, let someone replace or fix it! The 5.9 Cummins will outlast any of today's new trucks.

Uses car for Towing

Very easy and user friendly selling process!

by from Wylie, Tx on April 20, 2017

I recently posted my vehicle for sale on cars.com and the process was very simple and easy to navigate through. I am very impressed with this feature and would recommend it to anyone looking to sell!

Most reliable car i have owned

by from Chicago, IL on March 26, 2017

great car have had it since 2012 and have no problems with it, use it everyday for fun, commuting, basically everything, i bought it used and it's never let me down

Worse reliable,tieRods,wheelBearings,steerinSoleno

by from on January 7, 2017

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins is horribly unreliable. Tie rods, wheel bearings, steering column solenoid. And worst of all, when the batteries go dead, the ECM gets fried!! 2 grand to fix!!! Get rid of your Ram 2500!!

Our Expert Review: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500