Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1998 Ram 3500

3 out of 5 stars Interior Design
5 out of 5 stars Reliability
2 out of 5 stars Performance
5 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 1998 Dodge Ram 3500?

1998 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins Q-Cab SLT

by LOVEMYTRUCKS from Canada on Mon Jul 30 2012

Bought this truck brand new and its been amazing! But there are faults the backseat in the Q-cab which was the biggest you could get, is cramped and small for our kids while on camping holidays with our 36 foot fifth wheel. Pulling the trailer is another thing, it wont go past 70mph and up a hill past 40mph in 4th gear. It only has 175hp(when it was new) and 450lb-ft of torque and it feels so slow. But all things aside, its great. It doesn't do towing our fifth wheel anymore since we got a 2012 ram 2500 Laramie for that and now this truck is a work truck around the acreage and is perfect. But it has been extremely reliable. When I got the Cummins in '87 I was sold its better than Dmax and Powerstroke. It's tow rating was about 12-15,000lbs and I do about 20,000lbs doing many hay bails hooked up to a very heavy gooseneck trailer and travels about 5 miles going 30mph and it feels fine. In winter the DRW's suck in snow since it is a dually, thats why I opted for the 2500. So cramped interior, a bit on the cheap side, slow, plain, looks great, very reliable, tows excellent at low speeds, sounds great, bulletproof 5.9, and the best truck I've owned. Thanks Dodge!(or Ram)

Our Take on the 1998 Dodge Ram 3500

I know why the brawny Dodge Ram pickup is the best-selling truck in the company's history. This high-quality, macho-looking, beefy machine has style, personality and charisma. It is a civilized beast that you can love. For 1998, the engineers at Dodge gave the Ram its first major upgrades since it was rebuilt in 1994. Now the Ram is very close to being the best full-size pickup truck on the planet. In my view, Ford's F-150 edges it out by the thinnest of margins.

PERFORMANCE, HANDLING

Our test truck, an SLT sport model, came with a muscular 318-cubic-inch V-8 engine and a computer-controlled, four-speed automatic transmission. Horsepower is rated at 230.

If that's not enough motor for you... Read More