1997 Ford Aerostar

Best endorsement is when you do it all over again.

by from Brenham, TX on May 4, 2010

In 2001, we purchased a 1995 Aerostar XLT minivan over the internet through an online auction with a Phoenix dealer. At the time, we purchased a 6 year old van for $5200, and rode the Greyhound Bus out to Phoenix in May, to pick up the vehicle. It was in very good condition, and a good buy for the money. My opinion has always been to buy the 'most for the money' that I can, and that you can buy a 'lemon' for the same price as you can buy a very carefully selected van, like we did. We don't have the money to spend on 'mistakes', so we need to get it 'right' as often as possible, first time out. Our Aerostar minivan was selected because: 1. Reasonable price to purchase 2. Excellent condition, inside and out 3. The only minivan available built on a truck chassis and not on a passenger car chassis. Well, the vehicle fulfilled all those goals. It has served us well for 9 years, and over 150,000 miles, to date. I just decided that we cannot expect it will serve another 5 or ten years, so we decided to replace the vehicle with another Aerostar, equally in good shape, and for a price we could afford, while we had the opportunity. With cars.com, we connected up with a small dealer in Boulder, CO who was also impressed with the value, durability, and performance of the Aerostar line, like we have been. So much impressed, in fact, that if we had it to do all over again, we not only would, but did! Our new (to us) 1997 Aerostar XLT is almost a carbon copy of our 1995 Aerostar, except the body is in much better shape than our dinged-up Aerostar. It also doesn't have the beginnings of the AWD transmission coming to its 'end of life', as is the case with our '95 van... and this is why we replaced it. Plus, the mileage was half our present van... 110,000 instead of 255,000. Additional bonus has been that it gets significantly better gas mileage than we are accustomed to getting... a fact that we hope might continue, as gas prices edge back over $3 a gallon. Whatever car you buy, buy one that has a good reputation, one that has been taken care of, and one that is not over-priced.

Second Aero Star I've owned

by from Calgary Alberta on March 23, 2007

Bought new in 1997. 207,000 km nothing required other than oil changes, brakes and front end components. I have used this since new for towing a 2000 lb boat though the rocky mountains. Replaced thermostat, replaced front end components; tie rod ends, rack & pinion and ball joints at 200,000 km. Drives like new again. No problems with drive train, electrical or heater, power windows or airconditioning. Very reliable. It might look outdated but great value for the money. Desirable for towing as it is rear wheel drive on light truck chassis.

Great Ride

by from Texas on November 1, 2006

167k on the odometer and still rolling strong. Very few unexpected, non wear and tear repairs. I plan to get another 167k out of this workhorse.

Still happy with it, even though it's 18 years old

by from Conroe, TX on February 22, 2015

Bought it used 5 years ago, and it's still going strong.. Very reliable, just usual maintenance. Gets us shopping and to church, and never lets us down. A1 Only drawback is the plastic inside is breaking., but it still keeps on truckin'.

people hauler

by from livonia,mi. on December 2, 2012

have had 6 of these over the years, great people hauler, 3.0 short on power, get 4.0 if you can find it.

most reliable car !!

by from Buellton, calif on April 26, 2017

I have owned my green 1997 Ford Aerostar since 2004....This car has proved itself to be the best car I ever purchased . I paid $ 4,800 with 90,000 miles. Many sets of tires, transmission changes, oils changes on time !,new battery, alternators , alignments many basic repairs. It has interior coffee spills included in years of camping adventures. My green machine has held up with handing washing machines, bikes, mattresses, and rolls of fabric. This includes 10 years of camping with kids and many trips to Las Vegas. nothing serious , no major issues. It now has 220,000 on the miles...Paint fading and seat showing normal wear but it still is my Favorite ugly van of all time...A big thumbs up for this make and model.. they made them from 1986 to 1997...so many they got my year right... Have fun,,,,Nadine

Great vehicle for extra seating

by on August 13, 2017

This van seats 7 comfortably! Lots of windows unlike a cargo van. Mini van feel with more room. Easy to drive.

Uses car for Transportingfamily

lasted a long time

by from on June 3, 2017

Bought this van and it was very good and was able to last a good while before we needed to get a new one