2000 Excursion

2000 Ford Excursion

$3 - $19,067  MSRP Range
2000 Ford Excursion

Have you driven the 2000 Ford Excursion?

Excursion: King of SUVs

by ChicagoCarGuy from Chicago on Tue May 17 2011

Folks, if you're looking for a work-horse SUV that can carry 9 passengers AND tow an RV or horse trailer -- you're gonna have to find yourself a used Ford Excursion. There is nothing else on the road that can do what this beast of a truck can do. Equipped with the right engine and final drive ratio, this puppy can yank 11,000 pounds worth of trailer, while coddling your 8 passenger friends. The last Excursion was built in 2005, and low mileage ones are rare. Opt for the 7.3L diesel or 6.8L V10 -- the 6.0L diesel is a disaster waiting to happen, and the 5.4L V8 doesn't have the moxie to movie this 6,200 lb truck around. Forget about new Chevy's -- their 3/4 ton Suburban can't match the tow rating or roominess, and it's not available with a diesel engine. And Dodge? Huh. They don't make anything close. (Oh, yeah, forget Land Rover, Toyota, Mitsu, too).

Uses car for Towing

Best Rig Yet!

by Tow It All from Alexandria, VA / D.C. area on Thu Feb 12 2015

I've owned 2 higher end Suburban?s, one with the 5.7L V8, and currently one with the 5.3L V8. I bought them for hauling the family, work, towing.... Basically all around use. The first one wasn't bad, but the second one has done nothing but sit in the shop, getting repaired, and it only has 90,000 miles. I don't abuse my vehicles by any means, so don't start thinking that. This rig on the other hand, WOAH-NELLY!! This thing is phenomenal! Plenty of room for 8 full size adults (I?m 6'2" and fit perfectly in the third row) plus two 90lbs dogs, and then some. The interior doesn't feel cheap and is very comfortable. The seats all but reach arms around you to give you a nice, warm hug. The ride is excellent. It still feels like a truck, but still very comfortable. The towing capability is un-real! Just hauled a 2012 Grand Caravan plus a 1700lbs trailer, and this bad boy didn't even flinch. I have the 6.8L V10 and it kept speed with no problem. Uphill, downhill, didn't matter. 10mpg throughout the trip, but for a rig this big towing around 8k worth of weight..... Awesome! Around town it does about 10-12 depending on traffic, but with living in the DC area, the extra size and security is well worth the mileage. As for dependability, I haven't had an issue yet. 132,000 on the odometer and it's still running like new. I HIGHLY recommend this vehicle for those that are looking for a large, dependable, heavy duty SUV. Just remember though, even though this thing still gets good mileage for it's size (better than both my Suburban?s), it's still no Prius. You don't buy this thing for the gas mileage.

The Tank

by MIke from N.J. on Tue Dec 29 2015

Would NEVER get rid on mine.Even when gas was almost $5.00 a gallon ,maxed out my gas cards,it was never leaving my side.Like driving in a steel box.The only way that you can get injured is if you get t-boned.Pitty the poor driver of anything smaller that comes in contact with you.My 2000 has 148,000 miles and is still running strong.Just do the regular service and go.The only downfall is going to the store and those small parking spaces.Park far away from the door.I'll keep mine till its on its last breath,bury it and look for another Excursion.When you fill up that 44 gallon fuel tank you do get alot of dirty looks from people with there matchbox sized cars.They fill up for $20 and you fill up for $120.You use $20 just to start that Ford.Like I say I fell so safe and serure in that tank with my family thats the main reason I wont drive anything else.I also had a 1985 Ford Bronco with the 351 High Output 4 Barrel Carb.It too was a tank and I kept it till it the end.

owner of car dealership

by Jay from Los Angeles, CA. on Thu Jul 11 2013

I bought this truck for only two reasons. The safety of my 2 year old boy, and towing. I never expected this truck to be perfectly reliable. It has beaten any vehicle I have purchased in my life from a Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, BMW, or a Jaguar. I mean this with all my heart. I am a Chrysler fanatic and loath Fords or Chevys. This SUV was larger and safer than the Dodges I looked at. The only thing that has broken, and still is, are the combination locks for the doors. Big deal, after a monster like this has not cost a dime for anything since it was new. Sorry Chevy lovers.....this truck beats the heck out of your rotting Suburbans that are pure rubbish.

Great Used Car Value

by Oldguy from Boise, ID on Tue May 15 2007

Pros: plenty of room in all 8 seats. I'm 6'5" and I fit comfortably in the third row. Comfortable on long trips. Pulls anything (V-10).Plenty of storage. Extra Large. Bigger and better built that Suburban. Cons: Extra Large. Gas Mileage (ll ish around town, 13 hwy). However, buy one used for less than $15k and it will take a lot of miles to make up the $30k you saved off of the original price.

heavy hauler

by steve k from NW New Jersey on Thu Jul 21 2011

Over all this is a very good truck. I bought it to pull a 24 1/2 boat, totaling about 9000 lb's, and it does it very well. When considering one, check the bolts for the exhaust manifold to the heads as they rust out and break. Very expensive to fix.

Uses car for Towing

Great Family Weekend Vechicle

by Mountain Man from DENVER, CO on Fri Oct 26 2007

This is among the best vechicles I have ever owned. Pulls anything possible!! And seats 8 people. Great vechicle for camping!!!

This truck is great! I would own two if needed!

by Wifes Truck from St. Clair, MI on Thu Oct 30 2014

Excellent vehicle, bought it as a family vehicle for our family of 6 and a dog. My wife primarily drives it, I use it for hauling my car trailer once or twice a month. Hauls anything with ease, stops trailers with no electric brakes, with ease! We have had it for over 4 years now, bought it with 122K on it and now it has 163K on it, then only thing I have done is brakes and shocks. Runs great every time. Tons of room, very comfortable on trips, I could go on and on. I just bought a new Dodge Journey with 3 row seating, but we still like to take this everywhere on the weekends, just so much more room, and more comfortable. The gas mileage is nowhere near as bad as everybody thinks it is. Any 3/4 ton truck, suburbans included does not see much more than 12 to 13 mpg, PERIOD! And this truck is no exception, only it is hauling far more weight than everyones beloved Suburbans, and it yields me 12 to 15 mpg on the highway empty, and about 9.5 to 11 pulling the fully loaded trailer. Definitely an irreplaceable vehicle. I will keep this one as long as possible. Ours is a 2000 Limited with the 6.8L V10, 4x4, Heavy Tow package with 4.30 gears, and oversized off road tires. It simply does anything you require it to, we haul a fully loaded car trailer with a Bronco on it to the Sand dunes, unload, run the Excursion around in the dunes, up and down hills, through water, etc... then load everything back up, and haul it all home, with no issues or hesitations. GREAT TRUCK, wish they still built some version of it.

2000 V10 Ford Excursion Limited

by carcollector from Arizona on Tue Sep 16 2014

I love this monster , candy apple original color. This is the best Suv car truck your money can buy. lots of room for the family and excellent pulling power and holds lots of gas to travel far and dual air AC front and back and good sound system great. The room to shop or traveling space is super. This excursion is a SUV that should go down into the hall of fame of suv trucks cars.

Long Term Owner-Great Ride

by Bigger Sky from Billings, MT on Thu Mar 30 2017

I have owned our 2002 7.3L Powerstroke Excursion 4x4 since 2004. I bought it in Chicago and drove it back to MT. It had about 27000 miles when I got it and now has 217000. This vehicle is one of the best ones we've owned. Gets about 17-18 mpg on the highway but the sweet spot for optimum mpg is around 2000 rpm. Its not perfect but there are a lot of things you can do to make it great. If you are looking for one, make sure it has the rear anti-swaybar. If not get one from Hellwig. This will make it handle a lot better. Things I have done: slotted and drilled brake rotors all around, 4" exhaust with 4040 Aeroturbine muffler (helped with towing immensely), AIS Ford air cleaner, Air Spring air bags in the rear for towing, Rancho RS 9000 shocks. Future plans are to upgrade the leaf springs and maybe the turbo compressor wheel. It is fairly easy to work on and there are plenty of resources on the internet. Also the V-10 is also an excellent choice if you are not into diesels. I have one in my 2000 F-250 and it just went over 220000 miles. Still has a lot of spunk. I plan on running this thing as long as I can.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2000 Ford Excursion

With Dodge getting ready to muscle in on the super-sized sport-utility vehicle market in 2002, you could forgive the marketing folks at General Motors Corp. for wistfully reminiscing about the days when they had a virtual monopoly on the full-size SUV segment.

Ford horned in on that exclusivity several years ago when it introduced the Expedition as a derivative of its F-150 pickup. Last year, the Dearborn-based company upped the ante with the launch of the Excursion, the industry's largest and heftiest sport-ute to date.

Fortunately, GM had scheduled a full makeover last fall of its big SUV twins, the Chevrolet Suburban and GMC Yukon XL. The good news is that, while Suburban has surrendered the... Read More