2001 Excursion

4.4 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
4.4 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.6 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

The Safest car you could ever buy!

by A Family Dad from Sacramento, California on July 9, 2006

In 2001 I bought my wife a brand new Ten cylinder Lmited Excursion. We have four kids and we needed lots of room even with the third row of seats up. just 2 days into the new year (2006) i hit black ice while driving about 75 - 80 MPH on a small highway in california. I had my entire family in the car and i tried to correct it but then I sent it into a 180 degree spin and we hit a snow embankment and rolled three times. My whole family got up and walked away from a crash and the police that reported to the scene later told me that my family and I were the luckiest individuals they have ever seen after an accident on this road. they said that they had never seen anyone walk away from such a severe crash. the funny thing was the vehicle did not even take on that much damage for a triple roll over and in all the designated zones the vehcile gave to keep the passenger zone virtually untouched. the worst that happend was all but three windows blew out and the roof had a large dent in between the first and second row of seats. If you have a large family or even just wabt a safe car..... there is not a better choice out there! My family and I will never buy another brand of vehcile

I Love My Truck

by Lady with a BIG Truck from Shenandoah Valley, Virginia on November 13, 2008

I have had my Excursion for almost two years now and I have NEVER had any problems. The 6.8L V-10 gas engine has more than enough power to tow our 27' camper. Some say that it is a "Gas Hog" but I average about 13 MPG (city) and about 17 MPG (highway). It is on a 3/4 ton truck frame, but it is classified as an SUV because of the interior. You're getting the power of a large truck with the comfort of a family SUV. The interior has more than enough room with two captain chairs in front and second and third row bench seats. The second row, 60/40 bench seats are removable or you can flip them forward and the third row bench seat is removable as well (or you can lay it flat) for those times when you just need more room! Overall, the Excursion is an excellent buy for the money.

great suv

by son from a family from br,la on June 14, 2013

My family owned a chevy suburban for 7 years and then it tanked, and we totaled it. I have 7 siblings, so money was tight and we looked at used suvs. We bought a 2001 v10 excursion, and was a real beast. We used it for work and pleasure. It hauled way better than our suburban, and was way more comfortable, not to mention more spacious. We put 90,000 miles on that sucker and it purred till the end, when the engine block cracked. If ford came out with the excursion again, my family would definately be first in line.

just right

by xslave from athens,ga on October 19, 2010

Lots of room only problem I've had is the plugs ejecting out of the head happens twice. Over 200,000 miles

13 years of marriage

by DaveF from Houston, TX on June 25, 2014

In 2001 I bought a new 2 wd drive excursion 7.3 lt diesel. I just sold it now in June of 2014. It was part of my family as I put 215k miles on it. The only major issue was a rebuild of the tranny at 117k miles. The mechanic stated they redesign the tranny for 2000-2003's. The fix was to rebuild back to the previous design. That said it was running just fine when I sold it. I got an average of 16.8 mpg around town and highway. Front brakes go after 75k miles. Be sure to put new rotors on and not turn them down especially if you live in the south. I have no doubt the new owner will get another 200k miles on the car. Never had any issues hauling anything. I will miss her.....

Excursion 7.3 powerstroke

by Lordamercy from Trenton, Nj on September 2, 2012

Cant complain. Engine is a work horse. Workmanship of interior and accessories is typical of Ford, fair at best. Nothing spectacular. Squeaks, weird noises etc. gas mileage is great for the size of vehicle. Overall, I like it very much, just think with a bit more effort, it had the potential to be super terrific.

Uses car for Towing

I love it

by Excursion luver from rochester ny on February 24, 2008

As some one in the construction feild, I don't even feel my trailer behind it. I also don't belive the MPG I swear I got 14-15 MPG on a trip mto boston. I hope I have it forever.

It gets the camper up the mountain in style!

by tank from Atlanta, Ga on December 22, 2010

51,000 miles @ 9 years and in excellent condition made it an easy decision. Needed a workhorse to handle 8000# of bumper pull fun. Will enjoy camping for the next 15 years.

Uses car for Towing

Best Vehicle EVER Made

by DelKalle from Minnesota on April 15, 2013

I LOVE my excursion. It was the best vehicle any auto company has ever made. It saddens me that the quit making them. If they came out with a new excursion now with the latest diesel engine I'd buy one in a heart beat. I intend to own an excursion for as long as I possibly can. I wouldn't trade it for the world!! There is NO comparison.

2001 FORD EXCURSION LIMITED V-10

by Commercial Building Contractor from St. Louis, MO on July 2, 2006

I've driven my Excursion Limited nearly 50,000 miles on all types of roads and in town. The V-10 engine performs flawlessly. I feel like an airline passenger when driving on the highway, because the Excursion is so smooth and quiet. It's a little thirsty at times, especially when driving in the mountains. Overall, I get a combined average of 16 MPG on regular unleaded fuel. This big SUV will definitely move fast when you want it to! Plenty of room for all of my equipment and gear. Plus, I can carry up to 7 passengers.

1 2