2005 Excursion

4.4 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
4.2 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.3 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

Best Truck ever we are on our second.

by Exursion from Long Island New York on April 24, 2011

if the rating stars went uo higher then 5 i would put the highest. BEST truck ever, we had 2, first one we had was a new 2000 light blue one we used for pulling our 35ft travel trailer, it felt like we weren't even pulling anything. I have 4 kids and everyone had their own space, they loved it. The second we got was a 2005 Eddie Bauer, loved it. We bought it in 2008, along with a new travel trailer to go with it. Sadly on our vacation to florida with the excursion and trailer, we flipped rolling 5 times going 70mph. Everyone was safe and un-injured. Safest truck a person can buy for a family. Loved it, and miss it. we used it for everying.. camping, hiking, around town, everyday car. SO MUCH BETTER THEN A SUBURBAN.

Uses car for Off-roading

ultimate suv

by ford fellow from Tucson, Az on June 19, 2009

My wife and I bought an '05 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with the Powerstroke in Febuary and havn't regretted it one bit. "The Lady" as we affectionately call her has great comfort, quietness inside, good road manners for a truck her size and suprisingly good milage for a diesel. We average around 13 to 14 in town. Off-road ability is outstanding and manuverability is good. We can make a u-turn on a 4 lane road with no problem. The interior is easy to configure and the cargo room is great especially with the tie downs in the back. All in all a great truck.

Loved it!!!

by dj895cse from NYS on April 16, 2011

I purchased a pre-owned 2003 Excursion XLT with a 5.4L V-8 in August of 2003 and it was my daily driver for 7 seven years. We live in NYS and drove it to Florida, Canada and everywhere else on family vacations. We have 5 girls and the Excursion comfortably seated everyone, luggage and all. It performed well and was surprisingly responsive for the largest production suv on the road. I logged 196,000 carefree miles and replaced the alternator in 2009. It was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned! Sadly it was totaled in 2010 in a rollover accident, but I was able to walk away without a scratch or any pain what-so-ever. Our girls are in college and we no longer have a need for a large vehicle but I would recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a safe, reliable and comfortable large suv. The only downside is of course the $$$ for gas...

Love this SUV

by Excurion owner from Holley, NY on September 4, 2011

I love my Excursion, it is a 2005 limited. Had it since 2009. I owned one previously ( a 2002 excursion)concerned about gas prices I traded for a brand new traiblazer. Less than a year with the trailblazer I traded it in for a 2005 Excursion limited. I love it Can't believe Ford stopped making them. Have only put brakes on it. Don't know what I could ever replace it with..

King of The SUV Hill

by Pete from Long Island, NY on October 13, 2006

Gas mileage is about 15MPG. The power is excellent and so is the visabillity. Great Truck, would buy again!!!

THIS IS THE THIRD DIESEL EXCURSION OWNED BY ME

by SQUIDMCRD-Sailor @ Marine Corps Recruit Depot from SAN DIEGO, CA on December 5, 2007

Positive comment-seating better than my M/B E 320 Cabrio Inadequate front and rear shocks when towing 11,000 lbs. Brochure states, "when adequately equipped" and Ford supplies no suspension upgrades with a hitch weight of 1,000+lbs. One cannot get a factory trailer equipped vehicle to tow 11K lb trailers and must get a third party upgrade, which is pricey. Hesitation on acceleration in the 6L diesel which was not evident in the 7.3L diesel. And the lighter engine should have had revalved front shocks, for it is squirrely on the freeways. I lowered the tire pressure (not good) when not towing and reduced my speed. Would have been nice to have the integrated brake controller! After a car wash, one must wipe down every door jamb and rear deck lid. Could have been sealed better. I bring it to the auto craft shop for their lift and do the service myself and it is not difficult. 16.3 mpg when not towing. Twin I Beam front suspension like a truck, but pricey alignment!

Best vehicle ever!

by Diesel man from Pennsylvania Philly on December 15, 2012

Love this vehicle! Gets 20mpg highway all day long with the 6.0 power stroke. I do recommend the bullydog tuner to make it have more pickup.

More space than you will ever need!

by Mike from Richmond, VA on September 27, 2017

Looking for a 4WD truck that will go through 28" of snow? This SUV on a F350 truck frame is for you. Have young kids and need to bring along strollers, diaper bags, pack n plays and 30 outfits because they will get 10 dirty in one day? The Excursion has all the space you need to tote that around. The truck weighs nearly 8000 lbs fully loaded. 6.0 diesel engine has a few issues but the main reason was because people added tuners to increase turbo boost and it blew the head gaskets. If you leave the truck in stock form, it will easily last you 500,000 miles. Great resale value.

88k and running strong!

by Powerstroke Excursion Family from Nampa, ID on July 23, 2008

For hauling people and towing a big trailer, the Excursion with the 6.0 diesel can't be beat! 20 mpg highway empty and 11 to 12 mpg running around Idaho with a GCW of 19000#. Can't complain....

Work horse 2005 turbo Diesel

by Krisjanjuries from Meridian ms on October 12, 2014

I bought a 2005 excursion diesel in 2006 with 16,000 miles on. I have 152,000 miles on now and will never get rid of this vehicle. I pull a toy hauler with my motorcycle in, over the Rockies every year, and it's an absolute pleasure! It doesn't even know it's towing anything. Yes, things do go wrong mechanically, but it's still worth it. The engine has never been opened and it doesn't leak or use a drop of oil.

Uses car for Towing