2005 Expedition

2005 Ford Expedition

2005 Ford Expedition

4.4

Have You Driven the 2005 Ford Expedition?

SATISFIED EXPEDITION OWNER

by Shawn from Eagle River, AK on Fri Aug 04 2006

I purchased my 2005 Expedition XLT Sport model new in March 2006 in Anchorage, Alaska. This is my third Expedition I have owned and I've been more impressed with each one. The 2005 model has a noticeable increase in power and performance and I really liked the interior redesign from the 2001 model I previously owned. There are 5 of us in our family and we all fit comforatably with room to spare. I have been a loyal Expedition owner since the model was introduced and have never had any major mechanical issues with any of my vehicles. My only complaint with each of my Expeditions has been the horrible gas mileage. I recently averaged a meager 14 mpg on a 4000 mile cross country trip. As long as you realize that you are not buying a full size SUV for it's fuel effeciency but rather for it's impressive cargo, passenger and towing capacity and V8 performance then the 2005 Expedition is one of the best in it's class.

Wonderful SUV

by Boater from Columbus, OH on Fri Feb 08 2008

The Expedition might be hard to park, but it is even harder to get drywall home in a civic. I get about 15 mpg on average, and would probably get better if I didn't drive so fast, but it is a small price to pay for the comfort and convenience of this SUV. I was able to get all of the conveniences that I like, such as the rear air, temp and compas in the dash, automatic lights, speed sensitive radio volume, and automatic dimming rear view mirror, without having to buy the luxury trim line, or spend a ton on 4 different packages to get them. As for hauling and towing, this thing is a champ. I do wish that the cargo area were a few inches longer so that a sheet of plywood would fit in the back with the tailgate down, but they'll fit through the window, or on the floor with no problem. The seats lay completly flat, making it almost as easy to load as any pickup. I can barely even tell when I'm towing my 2,000 pound boat. Even with 4 adults and all their gear, handling and acceleration seem unaffected. Stopping distance is increased slightly, but my trailer doesn't have brakes. The visibility is wonderful, and being so high up, you rarely run into problem with glare and headlights in your eyes in night driving. The aim of the headlights in the Expo seem to hit just below the top of the trunk lid on most cars, so you don't need to worry about blinding other cars, either. Overall, I think that this is a great truck. I'll drive it until it dies.

Best full size SUV

by Arboh from Redmond, WA on Sat Feb 26 2011

Afer months of research and driving comparisons, the Ford Expedition is the clear winner in both performance and function categories. It looses out to the Tahoe and other GM variants in body styling... So it really comes down to form over function...or function over form.. your choice. We chose the Ford and function. and are very happy that we did. Here is what the Ford has...that GM does not: 1) Third row seating with full headroom and leg room. You will not believe how much room there is. I am 6'3" and 220lbs. I was shocked when I climbed in. PLENTY of headroom and legroom! 2) Fold flat to floor third row seating. Whether electirc or manual. The Ford third row seats fold down into a flat floor. GM does not. On GM you have to detach the seats and wrestle them out the back if you want a flat floor. 3) Advance-Trac. This does for driving forward what anti-lock brakes does for stopping. It maintains traction and keeps you going straight ahead at all times. 4) On automatic ride height control vehicles, the Ford system lowers the Expedition when the key is off, making entry and exit much easier for my wife and her friends. Start the Expedition, and depending on the drive mode selected (2WD, AWD, 4H or 4L) the vehicle automatically rises to an appropriate height. It's like a camel that gets down on it's knees so the rider can get on! 5) Second row seats that fold flat and/or flip forward for third row access with a flip of a lever. THey are gas strut assisted so they take very little effort to operate. We've owned our 2005 Ford XLT expedition for a couple of months now... We use it for transporting up to eight people, going sking in the worst driving conditions, and towing a 22 foot boat. We are very happy that it does all of these things so well. Only wish for two things... -Better gas mileage (we get about 13.5 around town) -Better body styling.

Great tow vehicle

by Boaterdude from Downers Grove, IL on Wed Nov 10 2010

I bought this SUV three months ago, used, with 50K miles on it. It is a GREAT tow vehicle. It has a superb ride, and great power for towing. After towing with a Trailblazer and a Chevy Astro, it is fantastic to be towing with a vehicle where you can't tell you have a 4,000 lb. boat behind you. Acceleration and braking are superb. Reliability, fit and finish are good so far. I love the heated seats and the sunroof. Why did I wait so long? Around town, I got 15 mpg with my Trailblazer and I'm getting 14 mpg with the Expedition. I got better gas mileage towing with the Expedition (13 mpg) than the Trailblazer (11mpg).

Uses car for Towing

Eddie Bauer

by Carl T from Fargo, ND on Mon Jan 23 2012

I bought a used 2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition with 65k. It has been as good as expected. Plenty of power from the 5.4L. Lots of space, love the power fold up/down 3rd seat. 4WD/AWD is great. Gas mileage is decent. I didn't buy it for great gas mileage. So far my only complaint is that the front doors make some noise and I have a rattle in the headliner when cold. I guess those things are present in alot of vehicles. I just need to research them better. Overall a great car I hope to have for many years.

great ride and power

by msgrey from owensboro, ky on Thu Oct 28 2010

great for traveling and towing. the 4x4 makes in nicer in the cold weather with snow or rain. Wished it got better mileage but i have gotten 18 mpg on the highway.

Will protect you from harm

by Fitz777 from on Mon Mar 13 2017

Never stops working, even in extreme adversity, great in snow, and like the title says, these suvs could stop ballistic misses in the form of bad drivers. It will save your life and they have saved mine before.

Best all around vehicle for busy Mom

by Georgia Mom from Atlanta GA on Mon Jun 08 2015

Excellent vehicle for busy mom or dad. Tons of room for everyone and everything. Super safe. Haul around the kids, their "stuff" and all the toys too like a boat, camper, anything. Great Family vehicle!

Timing Sensors went around 75k...

by Wacko from New Jersey on Fri Aug 05 2011

I enjoy my truck and perform regular maintenance on it around every 5,000 miles. It currently has over 100,000 miles with most of that highway driving for trips across the US. The knock I do have on the truck was that the timing sensor within my engine went around 70,000 miles which is why I gave low ratings on value and reliability. The motor had to be rebuilt since then and so far its still trucking after 30,000 miles. I plan to try and get my moneys worth, however with MSRP's in the $40,000 range makes that tough.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

by richwood from kansas city mo on Fri Sep 08 2017

I've never really had any significant problems with my expedition. Keep it serviced and at 160K I can keep driving it without concerns.

1 2 3