2011 Expedition EL

2011 Ford Expedition EL

2011 Ford Expedition EL

Have You Driven the 2011 Ford Expedition EL?

So good, we are on Expedition Number 3!

by Multiple Expedition Owner from Houston, TX on Tue May 10 2011

We love our Expedition EL. I don't know that I can cover all the good things about this vehicle, but I will start and just write for a bit. The interior is very useful. We have the 2nd row captains chairs, and these are invaluable for allowing access to the 3rd row seats. I have looked at all the different full-size, three-row SUV's, and Ford executes this as well as anyone. The 3rd row is also the most useful 3rd row I have ever seen in an SUV. Literally, I could ride back there for hours. So many 3rd row seats are penalty seats or only suitable for those under the age of 13. We have had adults ride in the back row of our Expeditions for hours without complaint. And the power-fold feature is a must in a vehicle as long as this one. The driving position is good, and the power driver's seat allows you to fine-tune the vehicle to your liking. It is very nice, and I don't mind driving it for several hours at a time (I have gone a full tank of gas without stopping, around 550 miles, several times). Our 2011 has the SYNC navigation system, and it works very well. I love that it links to most MP3 players, including those not sold by that fruit company! The cell-phone bluetooth connection is good, although it could be improved by linking automatically after the vehicle is driving. It likes to try and link to my wife's phone when the phone is in the house. Then I drive away and have to manually connect my phone. But that is a minor pain. The SYNC voice recognition system works pretty well. Note that this year does not include the MyFordTouch, which tries to integrate the climate control and everything else, so it is a little simpler than some of the other Ford vehicles. The exterior of the vehicle is a classic, timeless style which I really like. Previous Expedition body styles have aged well, and I expect nothing less from this model year. Ours also has the power-deploying running boards, which are a neat trick. I don't know that I need them, but there actually are advantages beyond the "tricked-out" points. The power-deploying running boards are lower than the fixed ones, making vehicle entry and exit a little easier. Plus, when they fold up, you have more ground clearance than the fixed units provide. There are some issues that could be improved. The engine could use some more low-end torque to improve initial acceleration. The brakes are acceptable, but could be a little stronger. The cargo area in the rear allows things to move around a good bit, although careful usage of the cargo divider/shelf unit can help. The new model years no longer offer the overhead DVD player, which is a bit of a bummer. Headrest mounted units are available instead, but we didn't get them due to the price. The air-conditioned front seats are nice, but not super effective. There is not way to control the airflow between the back and the seat bottom. Plus they are noisy. But it sure beats being hot! Note that Ford has improved the ride, handling, steering, acceleration, and braking of the Expedition EL since it debuted in 2007. Improvements are noticeable, so if you drove one in the past, it is worth test-driving a new one. Like I mentioned in the title, my family is on our third Expedition (second EL). We love it, and if it gets totalled tomorrow, I would buy another just like it! (It actually was in a wreck this morning, so that is a possibility!) Plus, we had zero trouble on the first two Expeditions, despite driving 20k+ miles per year. The biggest maintenance expense we have had on any of them has been replacing the tires. We love our Expedition EL. If you need to seat 7 or 8 people, tow a decent sized trailer, and/or carry full sheets of plywood or sheetrock, you owe it to yourself to test drive the Expedition EL.

Great White Whale

by BigTruckLover from Fort Wayne, IN on Wed Jan 25 2012

First, let me say that I don't grade on a curve. My stars are my 100% honest opinion. When you are researching a car that you are going to trust with your family or livelihood and you're going to plunk down a pretty big chuck of change, you don't really want someone giving 5 stars across the board just because they love it. Bought our 2011 Expedition EL XLT used (former rental car) with about 28,000 miles. Put about 5,000 on ourselves and all I can way is wow. My white whale fits the bill: it seats 8 real adults and most of their stuff in comfort, doesn't get stuck in the snow or mud, fits in my garage and get 14.7 mpg (winter fuel) in mostly city mixed driving. It does everything my previous mid-sized SUV did, only better. Compared to my previous SUV, which I dearly loved, it seats one more (more comfortably), tows a lot more and essentially gets the same fuel economy with 2 more cylinders. I told my wife that it "drives small" and she didn't understand what I meant until she drove it herself. Don't get me wrong, you won't drive it and confuse it with a Kia Sportage, you are still pushing 3 tons, but it feels light on its feet for such a behemoth. The power is adequate, but you aren't going to challenge that Cayenne S at the stop light, but you can merge onto the freeway with confidence. The seating configuration is perfect for me and I like the way the seats fold, not minivan easy, but a TON better than the GM Suburban triplets. After having the SYNC system in our last Fords/Mercurys there was no way I would have a vehicle without SYNC. My only complaints so far are maybe that the driver's seat is a little pinchy in the love handle area, but only with a heavy winter coat on. The interior could be a little better thought out: the glove box is a little tight and center console is huge but needs some organization to utilize the area. Other than that I can't wait to take it to Florida on vacation. A 20 hour drive should tell more.

Ford Expedition El

by Fantastic Ford Expedition from Virginia on Tue Feb 28 2012

Sold my Lexus GX470 to get this Ford Expedition El. It has plenty of room plus the 3rd row folds completely flat. It rides so much better than most SUV's due to the independent rear suspension. No more hump in the back that cramps the 3rd row seating, or jiggly ride. This ford is quiet, refined and has plenty of room for my three kids. With the huge gas capacity of 33gallons, fill up's are only once every 2 weeks. If we ever go out of town, I know we will get to our destination and back on ONE tank alone. Love my Ford Expedition EL

Big beast with a sporty overview

by Great family vehicle if you can deal w/ exterior from Minot, ND on Wed Aug 03 2011

Loved our exp el. It was sporty with limited trim and took us where we needed to go with 4 kids in car seats. We needed the room and a little car didn't cut it. Can handle any road conditions with ease and lots of clearnace if you need it. Plenty of room to get in and out with captain chairs in the middle row and love the seat configurations for folding. Great cup holders, etc. Tons of headspace and leg room. Headrest DVDs are better for safety for driver's to see but kids can't see as well. Overhead is better that way. Exterior kind of plain and leather of seats no where near as nice as the Navigator L. However, it is reliable and a A+ for features. If only they would make it a bit more stylish inside and out.

3rd Expy

by CdrBear from Danville, Ca on Mon Aug 28 2017

Purchasing a vehicle, any vehicle, involves the evaluation of a number of trade offs. An Expedition El is a very large vehicle, over 6000 lbs. Such a large vehicle brings a lot of benefits: room to carry 8, plus luggage with room to spare, the advantage of a truck frame, substantial towing capacity, carry stacks of 4x8 sheets completely in the interior and real 4WD. Of course a vehicle this large also carries a number of disadvantages, the gas mileage will never compare with a Prius, parking can be a challenge in tight quarters, and it will never handle like a Porsche. The real issue for a car buyer is what parameters are most important to you. Our 2011 King Ranch EL Expedition is our 3rd Expy (this year!), so Ford must have got something right in the Expedition. Our earlier 2005 (Eddie Bauer) went to our daughter, whose hubby enjoyed the 4WD which worked wonderfully in Sequoia National Park in a Christmas snow storm ... think 12" of snowfall and very steep grades at high altitude. We replaced the 2005 with a 2007 Eddie Bauer EL (purchased with 110K miles) and got 18.1 mpg driving from Monterey, Ca, back to the SF Bay Area. Unfortunately, our son thought so highly of the 2007 when we got it home, that he convinced us to sell it to him and do another upgrade ... which bring us to the 2011 King Ranch EL. the 2011 was purchased from AutoNation Katy in Texas and driven back to California. Best mileage thus far is 18.4 mpg, driving from Danville, Ca, to Palo Alto, Ca, as a commute vehicle, mainly freeway driving, which I'm fairly pleased with. Things I like about the 2011: (1) It's a big vehicle, other vehicles tend to stay away from me while on the freeway, (2) The ride is really comfortable on the SF Bay Area's pot holed freeways ... much better than my Mercedes E320, (3) Gas mileage is not great but it's not too bad. The cautionary tale here is: it's a 6000+ lb vehicle, engine has plenty of low rpm torque, abuse the gas pedal and your gas mileage will suffer, (4) 6 speed transmission has been very smooth, 65 mph at only 1700 rpm, (5) It's real quiet (6) No surprise here, the interior is really roomy with more leg room and comfortable 3rd row seats than a Chevy Suburban / GMC Yukon XL. We rented a 2017 GMC Yukon XL in Hawaii to accommodate 6 adults + 1 toddler, and neither son nor son-in-law (6'+) wanted to sit in the third row. Not an issue in the 2011 KR EL Expy, (7) Plenty of towing capacity for us, handles a 6 x 12 utility trailer like it's not there. (8) 4WD comes in handy when you unexpectedly need it (picking up 15 cubic yards of soil from a neighbor's muddy & slippery field), (9) For such a large vehicle, visibility is really excellent, due in part of the large windows. The GMC Yukon XL with its narrower windows comes in a poor second in visibility. Here are some of the things which are less positive: (1) It's been said before ... the interior of the 2011 looks dated and is plasticky. The looks weren't a big concern of mine, but I'll never rate the fit and finish of the interior as highly as my 2001 Mercedes E320. (2) Location of button to close rear hatch is poor (on inside of rear compartment). GMCs have their button located on the rear hatch and is more convenient. (3) Interior overhead lights are too dim, and there are no lights for the third row. In summary, we've enjoyed our three Expeditions as they've filled needs we considered important. In closing I would also say that the King Ranch interior is really nice with a better leather quality than in our earlier Eddie Bauers. And, we have the 2nd row Captains Chairs which ease getting into the third row. If there's someone who wants a lot of leg room, place him or her in the third row, middle seat. With no 2nd row seat in the middle, that individual can stretch out with almost 48" of leg room.

Great suv

by fordsnum1 from Glenwood Springs Colorado on Mon Mar 21 2011

i have only put about 7,000 on it sense i got, it seems to be very reliable...but what does 7000 prove. I like the steering feel of this suv, makes you feel connected to the road. 5.4 seems to have enough power but i would like for alittle more...seems like it doesnt want to get up and go sometimes. I would recommend this vehicle any day

Great Vehicle

by Mike from Waldor, MD on Mon May 25 2015

I have had a Lincoln Navigator and enjoyed it immensely. The only problem is that it sat most of the time because I have three other vehicles. I was going to buy another Navigator but decided against it because of the air bags. I decided on the Expedition Limited. It was the best decision I could have made. We bought the EL. My wife and I love the vehicle, other than the dash having a lot of plastic and not as nice as the Navigator. The vehicle rides great, handles well, and surprisingly gets better gas mileage than I thought it would.

Love my Expedition EL

by gorgemom from Washougal,WA on Sun Sep 23 2012

Purchasing our Expedition EL was an easy decision. We were replacing our 1998 Expedition that had 240K miles on it. It was time to replace it. I am an antiques dealer and I wanted the EL version so that I could haul more items when I'm out and about. The extra 15" is nice to have versus the standard Expedition length. I like the console area of the car and the controls are all within easy reach. I also like the cup holders in the driver area. Very easy to get to. My biggest complaint is the upholstery quality on the seats. This Expedition was a former rental car, so it didn't come standard with leather seats. It has very basic upholstery fabric and it looks cheap and feels cheap. I've had better upholstery on our economy cars that we've driven through the years. I wish we had looked for one with leather. The seats themselves are quite comfortable though.

Really enough comfortable room for 7 Adults

by SuperSUV from Chicago, IL on Thu Jul 07 2011

And I mean LARGE adults. The lightest of us weighs 190, and several weigh over 250. Headroom and leg room galore, and still a good deal of room for luggage, shopping bags, or large pets. 2 Collies and a Great Pyrenees. Only thing missing is the Google driver.

Vehicle

by Claude from Searcy, AR on Tue Mar 21 2017

My 2011 Ford Expedition is probably the best car on the road. It rides nice and will pull most anything.

1 2