1996 Ford Explorer

Incredibly tough truck

by from Richmond, Virginia on May 15, 2008

124,000 miles mostly offroad and still runs excellent! This truck has been in my family for 12 years now and has a record of 3 accidents, none of them at my family's fault. Total damages totaled around $2100 for all 3 (2 bumpers, 1 fender and a set of right side fog and headlights). 2 of the 3 vehicles that struck the Explorer were declared a total. This is one tough truck! I received it from my father as my first vehicle and drive it daily to and from school and have had absolutely no complaints whatsoever about it. This truck was bought as a secondary vehicle to my father for offroad use and has been abused more than average and everything has maintained it's value.

Well Built

by from Alabama on April 3, 2010

Have been very dependable. Close to 250,000 miles and still going. Miner problems that I repaired myself. Fun to drive. Have excellent cranking power.

"Very reliable SUV, gets you from place to place"

by from South Carolina on March 30, 2008

After purchasing my Ford Explorer in 1996 I have kept it up until recently this past January. When I got rid of the vehicle I was simply looking for an SUV with more interior room. the Explorer I owned was very reliable and dependable, it had about 200,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, and still contiued to run great I have had zero mechanical issues with the SUV other than routine maintenance. the only major mechanical issue I had was a rear differential issue. This is a fantastic all around SUV and will not dissapoint you.

Great Truck For Anything

by from Pa on June 28, 2011

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer with the OHV V6 and 5 speed auto trans and I Love this truck. I bought it off of my ford mechanic who kept it in mint condition with 158 thousand miles. It now has 172 thousand miles and is still running great. The interior of the explorer is excellent, not to big or not to small and the power seats are very comfortable. You can fold down the rear seats and fit almost anything in the back. The ride of the explorer is a little bumpy on back roads but is not bad at all. On the highway the ride is great though. I took it on a 5 hour road trip each way and it cruised at 80 mph all day with no problems with the air conditioning blowing ice cold. My explorer is a dark hunter green with gray running boards and when it is all cleaned up its a sharp looking truck. I get compliments at gas stations and wawa's all the time. The 4.0 V6 is rated at 160 horsepower and its a heavy truck so its not the fastest thing in the world but it does fine. The handling with the explorer is pretty good for a top heavy SUV. The steering is nice and tight and the whole truck feels well balanced. The 4X4 system kicks in with a turn of a knob and it engages smoothly. I had the explorer plowing through 3 foot snow banks like nothing when I had in in 4X4. In the end I love driving the explorer. If you take good care of it they will go way over 200 thousand miles. I highly recomend the Ford Explorer.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Excellent family or work vehicle.

by from Pensacola, FL on July 25, 2007

The explorer is one of the best mid-sized SUV's on the market. This vehicle is very comfortable and reliable. I have an XLT model w/ leather cd changer sun roof etc.. The only thing that lacks on this vehicle is the hours power and "off the line" speed. I have also owned a '01 Explorer w/ the SOHC, wich makes a huge difference in the perfomance.

Took a licking, keeps on ticking.....

by from Amarillo, TX on April 13, 2017

I'm still driving my good 'ole Ford Explorer after 21 years (if THAT tells ya anything!) Drove it off the lot, and it just doesn't want to give up! Sure got my money's worth....but time to let her go now, and get an upgrade. Thank you Ford, for taking good care of a single mom & her 3 boys!!

209K miles and still going

by from Austin, TX on September 30, 2013

It's been a good vehicle that we recently brought back home after having it off at my son's house. We are glad to have it home.

Uses car for Towing

For explorer

by from Portland Maine on May 30, 2017

For explorer has a great ride plenty of legroom 6'3 it is easy to handle and dependable in the snow

1996 ford explorer exl

by from egg harbor twp new jersey 08234 on April 9, 2017

awesome vehicle worth the money confortable good pick up never let me down at 199K and still going strong

Most Reliable Car I Have Ever Owned

by from Los Angeles, CA on August 15, 2017

My neighbors were going to have Pick A Part come pick up their 1996 Ford Explorer and would give my neighbors $300 in return for the car, but they gave me the opportunity before Pick A Part got there and that's how I was able to snag my Explorer 3 years ago. This car has 203,000 miles on it now and still runs like new. I would recommend this car to anyone!

Our Expert Review: 1996 Ford Explorer