Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1998 Explorer

1998 Ford Explorer

$23 - $4,871  MSRP Range
1998 Ford Explorer

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Performance
4 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 1998 Ford Explorer?

Most reliable car i've owned

by Explorer's are the best from on Fri Mar 19 2010

I've had mine for over 10 years and still haven't ran into any major problems with it and it has over 240k miles.

Great Vehicle!!

by Roadie from Windsor,Ct on Thu Feb 19 2009

I bought my Explorer with 105,000 miles.3 1/2 years later with 199,000 miles,I am not given this car up.Aside from recently replacing my alternator,I have not had any issues mechanically.I drive it 60 miles a day and granted gas mileage aint the best,I still love my truck.Explorers Rock!!

Nice Value

by stosh from AZ on Sun Jul 26 2009

Handling (torsion bar/front suspension) could be much better...and fuel economy? There is no economy about it; it guzzles! Otherwise, VERY NICE and VERY RELIABLE; has maintained it's value quite well and required little to no repair work.

Absolutely Loved It

by Off Roader from Alaska on Sat Sep 06 2008

I bought my explorer used with 100K Miles in 2006. I live in Alaska and wanted something I would feel safe in seeing as hitting moose is a common thing around here and I have seen the damage they have done to small cars. The gas mileage wasn't too bad I got about 17 mpg and it ALWAYS started no matter how cold it was out which was a huge plus. I did have some repairs to do about a year after I bought it my ujoints and ball joints needed replaced but it was an in and out trip to the shop and expected of a vehicle with that many miles and never had any problems after that. It has since been wrecked I was hit on the front drivers side by an f350 that lost control on ice going downhill and could not believe I came out without a scratch or bruise or anything. The is the second car accident I have been in in a Ford and I am very impressed that there was little damage and no injuries both times they are definately tough vehicles and I will be buying another!

Jason

by Jason from Mount Vernon, WA on Wed Aug 09 2006

This is a great reliable car for this class and the investment. The v6 4.0 litter with 4 wheel drive is so powerfull. The comfort is everything, with a/c ,keyless entry, power seats, power windows.The rear seats can fold 40/60. The safty is priority of this car, anti-lock breaks, airbag on driver and passenger,fog lights. This car is so clean, the owner does not allow smokers in the car.

Been Great!

by KaraLaurieMia from Rockford on Wed Mar 05 2014

I have put many miles and used it to haul band equipment. I love it...after ALL THESE YEARS the A/c works great. It did have transmission issues once...but since then it has been great.

I won't get rid of it

by Jim from Farley, IA on Tue Jun 03 2008

Great Car. I bought it new and now have 237,700 miles on the odometer. I sill enjoy driving it. The driver seat and the overall layout is comfortable. The best thing about this car has been the reliability. I have never been stranded and have had only a few minor repairs. No drivetrain issues. It is sill fun to drive. Plenty of acceleration and handling is adequate on winding roads. There is plenty of room with the hatch and fold down rear seats for golf clubs, 2X4's and whatever else you may need to haul. Also great in the winter snow and ice. My next car will definitely be a Ford. Since I won't get rid of this one, I will have to park it outside.

Good rig

by Blue from Minnesota on Wed Aug 16 2006

I have been very satisfied with my explorer. It has plenty of space inside for boxes, kayak, ect. I cram lots of stuff in there. However, the leg room for the backseat passengers is tight. Going over bumps is a little noisy and rough, but it drives smooth and is nice and quiet inside. Some things that have bothered me is the rear windshield wiper doesn't work the best. It only wipes part of the window. Also, the handle to open the back end sticks so when you shut it, it won't close, so you have to make sure you push the handle out. It's just annoying, but I can deal with it. The hood doesn't have anything to prop it up with and the hydrolics won't hold it up on its own very well, especially in the winter. The gas I average about 17-16 mpg in the summer and 13-14 mpg in the winter. Other than that, I can't complain. It has been a very reliable vehicle and I enjoy driving it. I haven't had much that needed repairs and I have almost 130,000 miles. (bought it with 63,000 miles)

An Awesome, Reliable Car!

by Transplant48 from Moreno Valley, CA on Thu May 24 2018

Over the 15 years that I have owned this car, it has repeated exceed my expectations. Other than regular maintenance (oil change, brakes, etc.) I haven't had any major problems with it. Whereas my friends and family members often have chosen to rely on rental cars when needing to travel a long distance (over 500 miles), I have driven back and forth up the state of California several times and to neighboring states without worry or the added expense. This Ford Explorer has truly been a godsend for me.

Most reliable car I've owned in 20 years

by csphx2003 from Phoenix, AZ on Fri Jul 06 2012

This model has been the best car I have ever had. I leased several cars before I bought this and have never regretted it!! Still the best vehicle I have ever had!!!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 1998 Ford Explorer

Ford had a better idea.

With folks complaining about the high price of sport-utility vehicles, theautomaker came out with a bargain-basement version '98 Explorer with a baseprice of only $19,880.

OK, maybe most folks don't carry $19,880 around with them, but in the SUVworld, that's a relatively low price considering most go out the door for$25,000 to $30,000.

Only catch is that the low-cost Explorer Sport is a two-door, not the morepopular four-door. And the Sport we tested was a two-wheel-drive two-door, notthe more popular 4WD. Rather than work on a price that would make thefour-door more affordable, Ford simply went the two-door route.

Ford says the intent was to have an Explorer that... Read More