2005 Explorer

2005 Ford Explorer

2005 Ford Explorer

4.3

Have You Driven the 2005 Ford Explorer?

2005 is a solid and reliable Truck

by Oregon Explorer from Eugene, Oregon on Wed Aug 24 2011

I currently drive a 2005 V6 XLT Explorer This is my second Explorer, My first was a 1991 V6 XLT I logged 300K Miles on the 1991.It started to collect dust after I started driving a Honda CR-V "Tin-Can" to save on gas. It wasn't long until I was rear ended at a Red Light in the little Honda, by a Subaru Tribeca at 45mph. The Honda was totalled by the collision and I have been in a world of pain for the last 7 Years as a result. (Please Don't Text and Drive....). Anyway, after the accident I decided to go back to the Ford Explorer. I Traded my 91 in on an old Datsun Z. Then Bought a Silver Birch 2005 XLT V6 Explorer with Graphite Interior. The truck had just under 95K on the Drivetrain when Purchased for Under $10,000 U.S. This Truck doesn't just look good. This Truck is a highly capable handler both on and off the Road. It has provided a superior level of comfort and been super reliable in all weather conditions. ( Including deep snow and temperatures well below zero.) She has 150K Miles On her now. In 55k miles I have replaced a split cooling hose, and had a little transmission maintenance done. I have spent under $1,000 in Maintenance including oil and differential fluid changes. (I am due for some fresh Shocks) This truck tows well, and grips like a gecko in bad ice and snow on standard A/T's in 4x4. I have really put this vehicle through it's passes. It has never failed me. The Truck is every bit as tough as my old 1991 but so much more refined. To top it all off, the 2002-2005 runs fantastic on Ethanol. The Ethanol where I live is made from left over pulp and skins from fruit and vegetables and travels less than 50 miles to reach the station. I fill up on Ethanol when ever i can and feel great about it! OK Three Important things. 1. The Ford Explorer was not Designed/Programmed for Cruse Control under speeds of 50 miles an hour. The Stalling in cruse at low speed is systemic and common in all 2002-2005 explorers. (Don't use Cruse under 50 mph And You won't stall. 2. If you plan on filling up on Ethanol, be sure you run full synthetic Oil. Ethanol fumes can make water divide from standard oil and damage your engine. (Just spend the extra money it is well worth the reduced wear and tear on your engine if you plan on using Ethanol or not. 3. Beware 2002-2004 Ford Explorers with "Lemon Transmissions" The 5 speed transmissions use cheap Chinese Steel and may shear and shatter scattering small bits of shrapnel inside your Trans. By the 2005 year this problem had been largely eliminated. The 2002-2005 for Explorers are used extensively here in Oregon as Police Vehicle, Fire and Rescue Support Trucks and by the B.L.M and Forest Service. This should tell you everything you need to know. But let me spell it out for you. This Truck has what it takes to get the job done, day after day.

Exceeded My Expectation

by Chris from Louisville, KY on Fri May 01 2009

Before buying a 2005 Ford Explorer, I owned a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer (V-6), which is very similar to the Explorer and rides on the same frame and suspension. Ford made such a brilliant improvement when they switched to the independent rear suspension on their SUVs and it makes such a difference. The V-8 model of the Explorer has adequate power and handles much better than I ever could have imagined. In a near collision with a deer, I couldn't believe the way this Explorer was able to maneuver...it was just like in the commercials! The interior is much more lush than I expected for a vehicle of this price range and everything is so user-friendly. Switching between AWD and 4WD High is seamless, although the ride suffers in 4WD. Given the conditions under which you need 4WD though, this should be expected. I have been able to get 22mpg with a 4.6l V-8. City stop-n-go can be as low as 15mpg in my experience (This is on a regularly maintained vehicle with 81k miles). If you're like me, you'll notice that Ford made a big mistake with the interior design changes they made in 2006. Controls and style are much better up through the 2005 models...I was so disappointed in the new 2006 models. Overall a great car. So easy to drive and even easier to park. The driver's position is great for teaching someone how to drive. The safety systems provide sense of security. Gas milage isn't terrible, even for a V-8. Can't really go wrong with this year and model!

Nice Ride

by ReRunNice Ride from Middle River MD. on Sat Sep 11 2010

This vehicle gets a lot of attention. The whole package is a good fit for me. This is my third 4-wheel drive vehicle and I am extremely happy with the Explorer. The truck has plenty of power/room and creature comforts without being toobusy. the auto lock system eliminates the need to remind people to lock the doors. The sound system is great w/ the cd changer in the dash. the ride is firm but not harsh. Overall i would ask anyone looking to get a new ride to look in the explorer, new or late model.Looking forward to getting my new ride to go in the snow

Best Car I've Owned

by I Own An SUV from Long Island, New York on Wed Dec 20 2006

I bought this car new back in 2005. It was my third explorer. It is definitely the best family car i've ever owned. compared to chevy tahoes and other gm models, it was by far the best choice. Traction control and four wheel drive are great, even if it only has a v-6. The xlt sport package is great. It looks so much better than the xls and normal xlt models with their unpainted plastic. I would definitely buy another explorer, but maybe with a v-8 next time, but the v-6 works just fine for every day use as well as climbing up mountain roads.

i LOVE MY tRUCK!!!!

by thebev from HOT PHOENIX, AZ on Thu Mar 13 2008

On a trip to Michigan ...I drove my Uncle's 2006 and my cousins 2002 and just LOVED the Explorer, the moment I got back I sold my Dodge Durango in and bought a 2005 Explorer and I love it, the A/C is ICE cold , even all the way to the back, they styling is smart and there are so many little extras I didn't have before. The price for all the features and GREAT gas Mileage was fantastic!! I will give this to my daughter when she is ready and I will move on to another one!!!! LOVES IT!!!!

My ideal SUV

by Soldier from Watertown, NY on Fri Mar 23 2007

Plenty of room for the family and good for long trips. I often find myself sleeping in the back on long road trips and there is plenty of room for me and all my luggage. High seats offer my daughter a good view of the outside while traveling and a comfortable ride for everyone in the family. Very reliable and easy to maintain.

Great functional vehicle.

by Practical car buyer from Des Moines, IA on Fri Nov 24 2006

This has been one of my favorite vehicles. It's just the right size and drives well in the poor weather conditions. The vehicle is large enough for vacation travels, yet not too large it hogs the road or difficult to park.

great suv

by MY SUV I LOVE IT from North Carolina on Wed Sep 26 2007

Most second reliable vehicle I've owned. I like the color the style the promance. it handles great and the seating is great. It has good gas mileage. My sons they love it and they drive it themself. Plus we have a suv that we can take on long trips and I don't have to rent a suv anymore. It has lots of space and room. I just fill comforie driving. and I have something that my dogs can ride too. And it has a lot of compartments to put things like my glass, cups etc. But most of all that I like about my suv is that it have great take off power and speed. ILOVE IT.....

Good SUV

by NY Driver from Cortlandt Manor, NY on Wed Aug 10 2011

Went from 97 Red Explorer to 05 Red Explorer. Sold 97 with 198,000 miles on it - still going. Bought in March with 65K on it-now has 72K. Hoping it lasts as well as my 97. Nice on and off road. Adirondacks last week and it was very comfortable on highway and handled dirt roads very well. Like it's looks, how it drives and reliability (so far). Wish mileage was a little better, but thats my only complaint.

10 plus years and going strong

by bcls from on Thu Jun 08 2017

Great SUV. I purchased used in 2007 and 130k miles later the SUV is still driven everyday. Only maintenance is oil changes, tires, brakes, battery and 1 fuel pump at 90k. I would recommend another one.

1 2 3 4 5