2001 Explorer Sport

$126 - $6,158  MSRP Range
2001 Ford Explorer Sport

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2001 Ford Explorer Sport?

305,000 miles

by Drive for a living from Ohio on Tue Aug 25 2009

I had an 01 explorer and put 305000 miles on it. It finally gave out, i only had to change the brakes and tires normal wear and tear. Love to have another great car. Never even changed a spark plug.

So reliable

by Love My Fords from Jackson, Mississippi on Wed Feb 02 2011

I have had two of these, one 2001 and now I am driving a 2003. The 2001 made it up to 70,000 miles without ever needing any type of work. Always cranked and still looked like new...until someone decided to slam into me and totalled it (I ran off the road, down a hill and hit a tree without the truck ever wanting to flip over). My 2003 has been great for the last five years I've had it as well. Yes, it will drive you if you are careless, or if you have old tires on wet roads etc, but once you get the feel of it and accept the fact that it is not a car but an SUV, you will just love to drive it. It accelerates and maneuvers great! Tons of room for carrying large items, too. People don't believe me when I tell them how old my truck is!

good value but not reliable

by erik minnesota from on Wed Jan 29 2014

I bought this vehicle in 05 and I have used it on and off since then. The 4x4 works excellent, can get through anything. For what I paid it is hard to complain but I have gone through numerous issues in the 70,000 miles I have put on it. Tranny went out, alternator, sway bar, ball joints, and wheel bears about 2x per wheel, along with other miscellaneous issues. I don't think the rear whipper ever properly worked. Mine only has 140k on it but it feels like everything has gone wrong on it. I haven't used it for my daily driver in years because it is so bad on gas. I just keep it around for those snowy winter days or for hauling/towing. If the vehicle was built better with more reliable parts and got a little better gas milage it would be perfect. But t hen again the price reflects it.

Does not recommend this car!!

What a good sport!

by Becky Garcia from Chicago, IL on Thu May 18 2006

I love my car! From the way it runs, to it's style and the comfort it provides, this SUV has met and exceeded my expectations of what I want in an automobile. There's a big difference coming from a low-seated sedan to the elevated view and security I feel driving this car. I have no desire to be in any other automobile. I feel confident and safe behind the wheel. It's roomy ride is perfect for my active lifestyle. I usually ride with one other passenger but there's plenty of space for another 2-3 people in the backseat, not to mention the cargo area which is plentiful. My car is so well regarded amongst my friends, it's the vehicle of choice when it comes to deciding who drives on road trips. Lucky me, I guess.

Good til 90,000

by sill from DC metro on Tue Sep 26 2006

I've owned 2 of these vehicles - a '99 and '01. Both were decent in terms of performance until about 90,000 miles. That's when the trouble starts. Little things start breaking in a sucession and it becomes a chain reaction almost. I can't complain about the room inside. If you need a vehicle to haul things, move, or tow the Explorer is nice as far as SUVs go. However, the interior design in the driver's area isn't really great. One big issue is the arm rest/compartment in the middle. Very easy to break and expensive to fix. Gage readers fail readily in dashboard. I had one go in each vehicle. Gas mileage is obviously not stellar. When I bought my '99 I got about 23mpg city and 26mpg on hwy, but that drops as the vehicle ages. My '01 gets about 20mpg city and 24 hwy.

Very capable SUV

by The Big D from Southern Utah on Mon Jan 30 2012

I purchased this vehicle just for winter months formy Daughter, but it ended being a daily driver. With 150,000 miles on the Odometer I really expected everything to be worn out. I was really surprised that I only replaced tires (More off-road ability), hoses an belts (Just in case), and changed all the fluids. I had a local mechanic check it out and he said everything looks great. He said it looks like the water pump was replaced some time ago and possibly the alt. He also said, I only have to watch the tranny and keep the fluid changed and not tow any REALLY heavy because of the mileage it has on it (Its an auto). He said the tranny is original but looks to be kept up and looks good inside (He changed the filter and fluid). He also said that NO vehicle should be used off-road with a High mileage tranny, due to potentially having a failure out in the boonies. This thing is fun and just as, if not more, capable and road worthy as my friends brand X SUV. And he paid 5 times what I paid. I have only put around 10K on the ODO in 3 months, however, I expect to put allot more on this year. It has a V6 in it that is not real peppy but gets good mileage for a 4x4, however, I have v8's in all my other vehicles and I am just use to real torque and HP. This is one of Ford's best kept secrets. It is a shame they dropped the line. I wish I would have picked one of these up when they were new before they dropped the line. Oh well! It just goes to show you if you take care of your vehicles you can have a lifetime of fun and use from them. I will be looking for another one of these since Ford no longer makes the Explorer Sport 2 door model. That way I will always have a spare should and accident ever arise.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great Truck

by Tax Man 732 from South River, New Jersey on Fri Oct 10 2008

This is a great truck, It's strong and powerful. I had to put some money into it due to poor maintainence from the prior owner and dealership but now that I have it up to date there is nothing wrong with and it will last you a life time if the truck is well taken care of. Yeah is low on gas milage but remember that this is a SUV. This truck is good for fisherman's it good for towing your boat and great to manage on or around the lake boat ramps.

Great and relaible SUV

by Gtrider6 from PA on Wed Mar 25 2009

I have had my 2001 explorer since 2006 and love it. The first year i put 15k with out any problems but she has been sitting for 6 months to the most recent stint of a year. Every time she fires up with out any problems and continues to run like a champ. At 60k all i have had to do is ball joints which seem to be a weak part on these explorers which is easly fixed with MOOG aftermarket ones. I take my explorer off road threw ditches and gullys and have been on a few 4-wheeling trips with lots of success out wheeling Jeep wranglers.

NICE TRUCK

by STEVE from PHILA PA on Wed May 11 2011

I LIKE THE TRUCK, RUNS STRONG BUT USES ALOT OF GAS. TO GO ANYWHERE IS LIKE 20 BUCKS MINIMUM. OTHER THAN THAT ITS OK. JUST OK.

Most reliable & fun car I've ever owned

by Mom with a maturing teen from Van Nuys, CA on Tue Mar 24 2015

I've had my 2001 since '07, bought from my mechanic and have loved it ever since. Great car for hauling/moving stuff. Great for long trips as to space & comfort. Gas as usual for SUV's. Needs some repair on & off of usual wear & tear. Love my Ford Explorer!

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2001 Ford Explorer Sport

SAN DIEGO--The 2001 Explorer Sport Trac is great for those who like to play dirty and stay clean.

Playing dirty, as in hauling muddy mountain bikes or bags of peat moss and wood mulch, and staying clean, meaning keeping the mud and muck out of the passenger compartment.

This segment busting part-truck, part-SUV is what Ford calls an "and" vehicle (everything an SUV is "and" more). Explorer sales have grown from 250,000 in 1991 to 440,000 last year, and the Sport Trac gives them access to another group of buyers. Production at the Louisville, Ky., plant is underway and it should begin showing up in dealer showrooms this month. Prices will start at $23,050 for two-wheel drive... Read More