2002 Explorer Sport

4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.9 out of 5 starsReliability

Recently bought this SUV used

by Sylvaron from Bessemer, Alabama on July 14, 2010

I recently bought a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport from a friend who had put approximately 115,000 miles on it. It is still in amazing shape and has no problems whatsoever. The car gets an average of 17 to 19 mph for me on rural roads and around 20 to 21 on highways. Cargo space is great, especially when the back seats are folded down for extra room. Spacing in general is good, the front seats have a kind of "cockpit" feel but are still very breathable--basically, it makes you feel like you're snug and safe and still gives you room to breathe. Driving is smooth for a truck-body SUV, although not as smooth as its little crossover relative, the Ford Escape. Design choices are good, especially on the exterior. It's a beautiful looking vehicle, especially for an SUV. Not much else to say, if you're an SUV enthusiast but aren't looking for a family vehicle (you'd rather have something sporty), this is a great choice.

I owe my life to this car!

by iLived! from Sumner, WA on May 4, 2010

I was in a horrible car accident where I was run off the road into a tree. The airbags went off, and the car was very very totaled because of the incident. However, I walked away without a scratch. There was a 1'X1' space where my seat was that saved me. The back seats were not messed up very bad at all either. Just tilted quite a way. I know this car saved my life and I would reccomend it to teens, without a doubt. VERY VERY safe and reliable. Mine was in mint condition with 111,000 miles on it. Would have gone another 150,000, I am sure. This should FOR SURE be the ride you choose for your child's first car!

Great SUV

by My daily Driver Explorer from Los Angeles on January 9, 2009

I bought my SUV used last year. I use my Explorer Sport as a daily driver to work and some occasional trips, and it has so far been very reliable to me. Only thing I do is the routine maintenance. Rides smooth and has enough power, specially for an SUV. Great exterior styling and very comfortable. I recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Looks Great Drives NICE!!!!

by Ford Fan from Thumb Area, Michigan on August 15, 2008

Love this vehicle, never had any problems. I had bought this vehicle at 60,000 miles. It had never broken down once. I have heard nothing but good things about how it looks. The 4- wheel drive comes in handy especially in Michigan where it holds its own in snow and ice.

Worth every cent of my investment.

by Ford Explorer Owner from FT Myers, FL on August 13, 2008

A comfortable ride, this vehicle responds well to the needs of the street and of the highway traffic. The times that I have taken it to the shop were only for regular maintenance: oil, change, tires and breaks. The exterior still looks as if it just got in the market. The interior is still pretty good shape although the arm rest in the middle, front, is not as ruggedy as it needs to be given the presure it has to whistand when you lean on it. Mine broke down a few months after purchasing it. Other than that, it is a very good vehicle.

Better than I thought it would be

by acerunit05 from Miami, FL on February 15, 2011

I have had my ford for almost 4 years now and it hasn't given me any problem. I thank God for having this SUV and not having any problems with it. I purchased the vehicle at 51000 miles, and I make sure that I maintenance the car properly. The only thing that I could say that's wrong with the vehicle is that it's interior started to deteriorate. Nonetheless, for a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport the vehicle runs very well, and I expect to keep this vehicle for a very long time.

Great styling

by Automobile Realistic from Cleveland, Ohio on January 27, 2008

I bought the vehicle new and have been very pleased with it. I love the interior and exterior styling. It has very good performance and good handling. The reliabilty has been very good. The dealer replaced the front ball joints under warranty and i had the front brake pads replaced, other than that just routine maintanance. It now has over 60,000 miles on it and has been a fine vechicle.

Very reliable

by Mustanger from Ohio on May 16, 2007

I bought mine new and still own it with 92,000 miles. Never any issues, except small interior issues with leather stearing wheel. I pull a 14'-0" trailer with it. I get around 24-28 mpg after installing a K&N air filter, synthetic oil and maintaining my tires. Great vehicle, can do alot with it and spend very little to purchase or maintain.

BEST CAR OWNED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Ford LOVER from Providence, RI on April 17, 2011

I have owned this car for about 10 year it runs strong no problems drove it everywhere no problems didnt change the oil for at least 1 year and still runs strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST CAR OWNED !!!!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Love my Explorer from Milan, NM on January 19, 2007

Best SUV for the money. Many features and upgrades included in price. Colors are the best among the SUV market. This vehicle has always performed excellent and has never had a need for repairs. My wife would like me to sell it because she wants a four door. I'm sad to part with it because it has been in our family for a while and we've had plenty of good memories in it. I would recomend this vehicle to anyone!

1 2