2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

11 years and 132000 miles later

by from Dallas, TX on March 31, 2012

I bought my 2001 Sport Trac used in 2003 with 40k miles on it. I now have almost 173k miles on it, and it is still running great. This truck has been on every kind of terrain in the continental US, and handles itself very well. Other than regular maintenance (tires, shocks, brakes, a couple batteries, and oil), I have only had one required repair -- the thermostat... which cost me $140 all in. Dependable is an understatement. Beware of the ball joints in the front end of this year model which were not done correctly. I've not fixed mine... probably a $1000+ job. I added a KN airfilter which improved the gas mileage a little, but improved the horsepower a lot in the mid and upper RPM ranges. I can get about 300 miles in the city and about 365 on the interstate. I am about to get a new(used) vehichle with more airbags since we have a 6 month old now, but i'm not sure I will be able to bring myself to sell this truck. The utility of this design is unmatched. Sport Trac was a pioneer (along with Frontier) of many similar designs you see on the road today. I think the Sport Trac was the best of breed.

Great Truck

by from Quantico, VA on December 30, 2008

I have had this truck for 7 years now. This truck is versatile. I have used it to tow trailers with motorcycles, transport my canoe, and move heavy cargo in the bed. Remove the bolts in the back seat and wala - more cargo rome... This truck is truly a jack of all trades. The bed is very convenient and the bed cover is a must. The only thing that lacks a little is the bed length. This truck is no speed demon, but it is not built for that. The only gripe I have is that it does not come with the roof rail cross bars. This is a pricey item to get. Overall, this truck is great... A true workhorse. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best Truck I've ever owned

by from Des Moines, IA on June 17, 2010

I would recommend this truck to everyone. Great vehicle to transport kids or cargo. Excellent overall!!!

Nice Truck

by from Indianapolis on May 2, 2011

Great vehicle! Very well made and comfortable. My only issue with this truck is the poor gas mileage. I get 17mpg after changing filters and running my tires at 34psi. At $4.00 per gallon, that is painful. The 4wd walks through anything, and I love the power rear window and bed cover.

Uses car for Towing

Very comfortable enjoyable vehicle to operate

by from Clinton, MD on October 15, 2008

Vehicle handled welll on highway, confortable seating, loved the rear drop down window instead of the sliding window on most trucks, only problem is he lack of power for this size engine and poor gas mileage

Versatile and Dependable

by from Siloam Springs, AR on December 21, 2016

I purchased used with 200k miles on it for $1500 (seller needed Christmas money). I have paperwork for fresh trans install with less than 100 miles on it. Mine is just a 2wd model, but loaded with leather, cd, power seats, roof rack, running boards, 20" alloys, etc., and I love the rear power window. I believe Ford built this model to last. I have room for three children in the back! I also love the small, (yet just enough) bed space to haul groceries, lumber, tools, shrubs, and etc. I drove over 160 miles to buy this one and enjoy driving it. Fuel consumption is actually better than my wife's 2005 awd explorer with the 4.0 V6. I would suggest this versatile lil sport brute to anyone.

Handles well

by from Calgary, AB. on May 28, 2008

Cant beat it. The truck is 7 years old now, no major issues. Handles great in all weather conditions

Beautiful!

by from Louisville,KY on August 18, 2006

Great handling, good ride, very versatile. This is the best truck I have ever owned, easy to maintain, no problems what so ever! I have used it for family vacations and trips to the hardware store to pick up lumber for my husband.

Very good truck, suv

by from Corona California on January 30, 2008

I bought it new in 2001 and it has lasted so far 236,379 miles. Only complaint is the front brakes. Believe me. Purchase good roters and pads.Every thing else is great.Daily driver. With all my tool's in it.

one of the best trucks i have owned

by from germany on May 18, 2007

the only thing i would change with this truck is the length of the bed. a 5 foot bed would be great.