2001 Focus

3.8 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

This Car Saved My Wife's Life

by Focus Man from McConnellsburg, PA on January 9, 2012

We purchased this car used in the summer of 2011 after a bad experience with a Chrysler PT Cruiser. It was good for being a 2nd car that didn't use much gas, although the gas comsumption was more than what the dealer told us. (We were told it would get 28mpg city, I never came close to it, more like 23 or 24). My wife totaled the car in a one car accident driving home from work one evening. She lost control on a wet road and the car went into the ditch and nose first into a fence post and creek bed. The entire front end was destroyed, but thanks to the airbags and other safety features, she walked away with some bruising and that was it. If you are looking for a car with bells and whistles, this probably isn't the vehicle for you. If you want something that will get you to work or school and back and that's it, you could do worse.

Focus

by pastaman from Alexandria, va on April 21, 2010

I really love this car. It was my parents car before they gave it to me. I have had very little problem with the car other than the usual upkeep. Since we've had the car i have only had to change a 150 dollar belt, and new brake pad...it was 8years after we bought it... LOVE THIS CAR>..

Love the Focus

by crscntrydrvr from Massachusetts on September 15, 2009

I own a 2001 Focus ZX3 model and recommend it. This car has crossed the USA coast to coast twice in 5 years and has been enjoyable to drive. No problems even with lots in tow going over mountain passes! The only issue it has had has been the tie rod connectors to the tires (in front only) have been subject to throwing it out of alignment when accidentally hitting a curb. It does feel a bit cramped for more than 2 persons inside. Great car for anyone looking for affordability, style, and gas mileage. It handles very well on the roads and good on snow as well. It also appeals to me more than the new style focuses. I like the European design and think this older model is more cutting edge and futuristic looking than the new ones.

A very reliable car

by Tonio from Orlando, FL on April 29, 2008

I am the only onwer since new of my 2001 Ford Focus. I've had only to recalls on it in 2002 (even thought the focus holds the record on recalls) but I have never had any major problem with it. Its been a very reliable car since new, of course I keep up with the maintance that could be one reason. For a dialy driver I thinks is the best car of its class and year. Maybe thats why Ford has only done minor changes to the frame and engine.

Great car for a small family

by Dirt Man from Woodville, ON Canada on August 16, 2008

Purchased my Focus Wagon used, it was 2 years old and was well maintained with one previous owner. I enjoy driving this vehicle to work, 80 kms (approx. 50 miles) one way, as it has great acceleration for passing and highway driving. Lots of interior room/headroom for a 6'1" guy. I love the cargo space this wagon provides; holds all the groceries and the necessary baby supplies needed for a newborn. Great car for everyday use.

Focused on the ZX3

by Hombre from Central PA on June 13, 2006

My loaded, red, 5-speed ZX3 hatchback just turned 61000 trouble free miles. I bought it new in 2001 and have had zero problems, plus it's a blast to drive. It gets 30 MPG average,(mostly 2 lane rural driving) and handles like a go cart. Very comfortable, safe and so far dead reliable. I've spent zero on repairs, just normal oil, filter and tire changes, still has the original brakes! Another big plus is you can haul just about anything with the rear seats down. As you can tell I really like the car. Can't believe all the negative press about the Focus, you shouldn't either. Drive one, you'll like it!

Great Value - Good Looking - Reliable

by Eugene from Cleveland, Ohio on December 8, 2008

Went to buy Ford Escape, ended up buying the Focus Wagon. The Escape rode/drove like a truck - the Focus drove like a European car and was less expensive and just about the same interior space. I like the VALUE offered by Ford and the room of a wagon for transporting family and stuff. In addition to the Taurus, I've also owned a Contour and a T-Bird. Put over 75K miles on my Focus and other, than routine maintenance, it's been cheap to own and cheap to drive (30+MPG on highway). I gave it only 4 stars for performance - wish you could get it with a V6, but that would add a chunk to the price tag and the gas mileage would suffer. It's sporty looking and fun to drive. Very reliable. Solid car!

Excellent Car

by MD from Hendricks County, IN on November 26, 2006

A year and a half ago, we were looking for a Taurus and stumbled into a Focus, and we love it. The car is a little workhorse. We use it for my wife's long commute to and from work, and we drive it everywhere we go together. It gets 30mpg, handles well, accelarates decently, and has enough headroom for a 6 ft tall person (me) to drive it comfortably.

Fun little car

by Alex from Abington, PA on February 12, 2008

My 2001 focus SE was a great car, that until it met its unfortunate end due to a drunk driver in December of 2007. The handling was superb, very 'go cart-ish' and far superior to other similar models, namely the Chevy Cobalt. The 130hp engine was surprisingly quick in the light car and made it even more enjoyable to drive. No problems with interior features or electronics. No major work was needed even after 88,000 miles save a couple sets of new brakes and rotors. Back to the accident, I have no qualms about the safety of this vehicle. I walked away from a 35mph head on collision without a scratch. Overall, a great everyday driver

reliable and gas saver

by ersan from NV on December 14, 2006

Excellent gas consumption, very reliable, cheap parts and service,excellent handling, worths every cents

1 2 3 4