2004 Freestar

2004 Ford Freestar

$810 - $5,858  MSRP Range
2004 Ford Freestar

3.3

Have You Driven the 2004 Ford Freestar?

Just about the same issues as the person above

by storminnorman from kansas on Fri Jan 25 2008

Had to Trans problem and now a back rotor problem has to be fixed. Also when I fill van with gas . I have to put gasoline in very slow or it will shut back out all over me. Just very unsatisified with this van.

Nice Van for the money

by Mike T - 04 Freestar Limited review from Lansing, MI on Mon Mar 29 2010

I live in Lansing MI. In 2010, I purchased a used 2004 Ford Freestar Limited model from an area New/Used Car dealer with "only" 55k miles on it for $9,000 out the door. Other vans I considered were the Dodge Grand Caravan SXT/Chrysler T&C Limited, Kia Sedona EX, & Chevrolet Uplander LT. My decision on the Ford came down to "bang for the buck". I really liked the Stow & Go of the Dodge, but was leary of Dodge's reliability history. The Kia EX model was impossible to find for under $15k used. The Chevy just ran short on bang for the buck. Experience & usage thus far; I drive 85% of the time on the highway. Pros; like the styling, heated leather seats, 6 disc in dash changer; smooth transmission; large gas tank (26 gallons offsets so so mpg) Cons; 3rd row does not offer split folding option. Its either all up or all down. So far this has not been an issue whatsoever but I thought Dodge was really onto something cool in offering this standard. MPG is at the bottom of the average category. I've read posts that people claim to get 25+ mpg. Others get horrible mpg. I have noted 22 MPG (TOPS) on the highways of Michigan when going no faster than 65 mph. You go 70 and your borderline 19/20 mpg. City mpg is horrendous. I've observed 13 mpg as a low and 17 mpg as a high in the city. I cannot seem to get my overall mpg to exceed 18.4 even with 85% being highway, but I guess that's better than the 17 mpg listed. When we were test driving a Gr Caravan for a weekend. I observed 25 mpg on the highway and 18 in the city. (without having to go 65 to get "good" mpg) That being said, I have a 5 member family; 2 are under 3 years old. Car seat connections are excellent. Room abounds even with both seats in the 3rd row leaving the middle captain chairs roomy and comfortable. No problems yet with vehicle. Plan to own at least 4 more years.

2004 Ford Freestar SEL

by SM from New Boston MO on Fri Jul 20 2018

This van has been very dependable and is very roomy. I acquired it with 50,000 miles and it now has over 100,000. I have only done basic repairs on it. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a family type van.

Definitely LIMITED!

by Terri from Washington State on Sun May 03 2009

Purchased vehicle used less than 2 years ago with 47,000 miles on it. replaced starter, ignition switch, and last month THE TRANSMISSION at less than 63,000 miles! This "Limited" Freestar lives up to its name: LIMITED!! Ford should be recalling the transmissions on these vans -- apparantly theres a HUGE issue there! Instead they "gladly" replace them (obviously making money doing THAT). NEVER again will i buy a Ford!

Very reliable

by Paul from Bullhead City, AZ on Sat Jul 19 2008

Have 80,000 on vehicle. Purchased with 16,000. Have driven r/t from AZ to Maine 4 times with it. Have had no problems. Put new tires on at 65,000. Did brakes approx 60,000. Otherwise, very pleased with milage and ride.

Worst vehicle ever owned

by Mom with a van from New Orleans, LA on Thu Mar 12 2009

This is the worst vehicle I have ever had. It constantly needs repairs, I have had the vehicle for 20 months and I have already replaced the transmission and the EGR valve.

Does not recommend this car!!

One of the best vehicles I ever owned

by Arkadia from Linden, Germany. (USA military community) on Mon May 01 2017

2004/5 Freestar. Owned 11 yrs extremely reliable comfortable safe high mileage 168,000 mls. Still running like a dream. Used in all weathers including high temps to thick snow and ice. All my passengers comment on comfort and leg room. I have people just waiting for me to sell it. Never had anything major go wrong.

Canadian Ford Freestar(2004)

by Plasterer54 from anada dollars for it.It's an SE to boot. on Sun Aug 11 2013

We have 4.2 Ford Freestar,here in Cananda.While you Americans to the south of us,have the smaller engine version.When we got it from my wife's parents,it had hardly been driven.Due to my father-in-law having C.O.P.D.(WHICYH HE SUCCUMBED TO JULY 14,2012).W e bought the vehicle this past April(end of).We sold our Ford Aerostar(97) which had 498,786kms. for 350.00 Canadian dollars to the wreckers.this is a lincoln by comparison.beautiful ride and only 118,000kms.(67,000miles).At 122,676kms. had to install new Altenator but according to my mother-in-law that would have been it's second.Wew only paid 2,900 Canadian dollars for it(including applic.taxes,plate and vehicle certification).Great Deal!

worse car I ever owned

by Snobird from South Georgia on Mon Jan 28 2008

To begin with shortly after delivery it kept stalling & no restart, computer problems. After replacing the tires @ 40m I learned the toe in was off and wore out the original tires. Then while on vacation the transmission burned up and had to be replaced $3100 and one week without transportation. Thank god for extended warrenty, dont drive a ford without it. I'm from from Michigan and always drove American, never again.

Does not recommend this car!!

Cruising @ high speeds on highway is joy

by olu from md on Mon Nov 26 2007

I have used both Windstar and Freestar minivan. The key to a healthy ford vehicle is proper/scheduled maintenance. So far we have driven 3000 miles in the vehicle. We are quite pleased. I prefer driving this to my own luxury suv.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2004 Ford Freestar

Freestar feels familiar

That’s right. It’s Freestar, not Windstar. When Ford Motor Co. launched its restyled Ford Windstar minivan last fall, the company gave it a new name to better fit its alliterative list of products, which includes the Focus and F-150 pickup. The name change is about the most radical part of the 2004 Ford Freestar.

Ford did not rip up the blueprints when it came to the exterior of its minivan . and that formed the basis for much of our discussion. We tested a well-equipped SEL model priced at $31,520.

SHE: I know that you’re being a big crab about Ford’s redesigned minivan. You were hoping that they would have injected a bit of, God... Read More