2001 Ford Ranger

Very Reliable

by from Yulee, Florida on August 18, 2017

I own an 01 Ranger, and it is a very nice vehicle, it came with 154k miles and I've put another 30k on it and it starts right up everytime, the only problems I ever have are basic maintenance

Uses car for Havingfun

needed something reliable with 4 wheel drive

by from neffs,pa on August 13, 2017

it is a great value and fun to drive and has lots of room with the cap on the back if I need it to haul

Easy to maintain

by from Pepperell, Ma on July 21, 2017

I had this vehicle for about 3 years and it was reliable, repairs were cheap and very easy to do for an at home mechanic like myself. I loved the vehicle, would love a newer one with some enhaced features. It was great in the snow and even better off road, great traction and great control.

Meets my needs

by from Gladstone, MO. on July 10, 2017

Hard to find low mileage 2001 Ford Ranger. It only has 70,100 original miles. Runs very good air conditioner will freeze you out. Bought it from Landmark Dodge on Noland Rd. They even gave me a oil change plus another free one when it comes due. Very pleased with the truck , the salesman, and the whole experience.

Awesome first truck!

by from Vancouver Wa on June 29, 2017

Runs great, looks good, and reliable. Exactly what I've been looking for...great seller and nice people

Excellent truck for the price and value!

by from Schuyler, VA on June 16, 2017

Great everyday vehicle! Easy to drive and find a parking space due to the size! Fairly economical fuel mileage wise! Highly recommend the Ford Ranger to anyone looking for a great compact truck!

2001 3.0 Edge rwd

by from on November 15, 2016

bought mine used with 10k miles. 15 years later Im still driving it. just hit 145,000 miles... goes thru brakes and rotors something bad. not sure why. biggest repair was the transmission died around 70,000 miles. not sure why I rarely haul anything heavy, don't tow anything. never dogged the truck. tires brakes belts.... and sensors are going bad now.... now it wont start sometimes. mr tire said its the battery. put a new battery in same issue. electrical test came back fine. original muffler and tailpipe lasted almost 13 yrs.... other than the trans going bad it's been a good truck. getting some rust on it now under both doors.

Small but a Work Horse

by from CT on August 29, 2016

I bought this truck a year and a half ago. Because I was in such a hurry to get a 4x4 before the snow flies I didn?t have it checked out first. A HUGE mistake and lesson learned. I bought it form a (excuse the pun) a little old lady. The entire under carriage was rotted out and I had to replace the entire frame form midsection back. Then the exhaust and tires. Anyway I now own an $ 8000 2001 pick up. But after I got over hating the vehicle, it does have good hauling capabilities and handles well. It has a pretty powerful engine ( 4.0) but gas mileage isn?t good for the size. I got better mileage on my F-150. It has good ground clearance but should have had cab step ups as a standard. My 5 ft wife has to just about jump in. If this is a truck you are in the market for my advice put it on a lift and check it out BEFORE you buy it.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

thelittleenginethatcould

by from Centennial, CO on February 25, 2016

Almost 70 yr.-old male, bought this 4.0L, 4x4, AT SOHC truck May '15, used, with 157000 miles on it and in good-to-decent condition, mechanically and visually. I checked online reviews for small pickups (wanted a TOYOTA). For thousand$ le$$, this vehicle passed an emissions test (CO) without any $hop time, and out of pocket expense (except for new air filter, just in case). Used it right away to help a friend move out of a 2800sqft, 4 bdrm, 3 car garage home and it performed without a hitch. Transported large and small appliances, yard debris, countless moving boxes, furniture, large potted plants without a problem. All I added was fuel, at 15-17mpg, not great, but I figured, it's a 4WD truck! It's not a daily driver, but whenever I need to, I haul bicycles, Lowe's/HomeDepot, big box-store stuff, anything I want without question or concern. Interior is storage challenged, ride's a bit rough, seat headrests are not adjustable, air flow could be better, rear jumpseats ,on XLT 4-dr model, is laughable (but do-able)! Also have owned the '96 Mazda B2600i (maker of all the Rangers back then) and '85 F150 (new, lease) in my history. Also experienced the "joy/buyer remorse" of three separate Ford vans. I simply enjoy this truck! Would buy again in a heartbeat! Might check out the manual tranny mode (for added mpg), but not well reviewed. Ya don't get much more. Get one if you find a granny/barn "gem." Glenn, thanks.

bad oil pan gasket design

by from buckeye az. on December 5, 2015

I have had a leek on the oil pan gasket and when I went to get it fixed I found that the engine had to be pulled ,ya thats right ,pull the engine to replace the oil pan gasket, also i was told this is a common problem .after checking with 3 different places ,I can not believe they created such a monster

Our Expert Review: 2001 Ford Ranger