2001 Ranger

2001 Ford Ranger

2001 Ford Ranger

4.0

Have You Driven the 2001 Ford Ranger?

Best Small Pick-up I Could have Bought!

by JackFlash1950 from Dundee, Michigan on Sun Aug 24 2008

My Ranger XLT Extended Cab was purchased new and I now have just over 126K miles on it. I plan on using this vehicle for a long time yet. I have had no major problems or expenses with this truck. I believe in regular oil and filter changes and tire rotations. The 4.0 liter V6 engine is still purring like new and the ride is great. Air conditioning & heater operate great. And no rust is showing after 7 years of ownership (and timely washes & waxes). Overall, I am completely satisfied with this truck and really glad I chose to purchase this vehicle.

Second Ranger as good as the first

by Klaatu62 from Boston on Thu Nov 06 2008

My first Ranger was a 1999 XLT super cab that I kept for 6 years and then gave to my father who used it for 2 more. It is now in the hands of his friend and has over 250,000KM on it and the only big work done was a new clutch. Last year I traded my Xterra for a 2001XL, and once again don't regret it. I replaced a sensor in the motor, and the ABS pump went nuts at one point, but overall I've loaded the thing down, I've driven it about 30K Miles in the past 16 months, and she just won't quit on me. Both get about 350Miles to a highway tank, or between 21 and 25 MPG. City milage has been around 17MPG. Nothing special inside them. Stereo, air, manual windows and mirrors... But it is what I need, it hauls a load, it has room for a passenger... Neither of these trucks were 4X4, the first had a 3.0 and the latest a 2.5, and I will probably drive this one until it dies, which I expect to be at least another 3 or 4 years. I will probably give this one to my son, since he would have a limitted ability to carry passengers. Makes for less distractions!

Great truck

by everyday joe from Minnesota on Tue Apr 09 2013

I bought my truck new in summer of 2001. It has been very reliable, and has done everything I have asked. Lots of power, both for passing and towing. Has gotten a little rust on tailgate, otherwise the body is fine. I have thought about buying a new truck, but don't want to part with the ranger.

Great truck for durability

by Bags from Knoxville, TN. on Thu Nov 21 2013

Most used trucks; esp. those in good condition, don't stay at the dealer lot for long. I felt lucky to find my Ford Ranger, and now really enjoy owning it.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great truck for the money

by TankBoy from Fort Knox, KY on Sun Oct 08 2006

I bought this to still have a truck but save on gas. It worked out very nicely. I've kept this truck for three years and would keep it till the wheels fell off if we weren't having a kid. The extended cab is a must.

Very Reliable

by ThePowerRanger from Yulee, Florida on Fri Aug 18 2017

I own an 01 Ranger, and it is a very nice vehicle, it came with 154k miles and I've put another 30k on it and it starts right up everytime, the only problems I ever have are basic maintenance

Small but a Work Horse

by Skychef from CT on Mon Aug 29 2016

I bought this truck a year and a half ago. Because I was in such a hurry to get a 4x4 before the snow flies I didn?t have it checked out first. A HUGE mistake and lesson learned. I bought it form a (excuse the pun) a little old lady. The entire under carriage was rotted out and I had to replace the entire frame form midsection back. Then the exhaust and tires. Anyway I now own an $ 8000 2001 pick up. But after I got over hating the vehicle, it does have good hauling capabilities and handles well. It has a pretty powerful engine ( 4.0) but gas mileage isn?t good for the size. I got better mileage on my F-150. It has good ground clearance but should have had cab step ups as a standard. My 5 ft wife has to just about jump in. If this is a truck you are in the market for my advice put it on a lift and check it out BEFORE you buy it.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Most dependable vehicle I?ve ever had.

by theeecharles from Indiana on Wed Oct 11 2017

This trusty little truck always got me to where I needed to be. It got decent gas mileage while still having truck capabilities like 4wd, tail bed, and towing.

Wonderful TRUCK for construction either/or farming

by Yesai from Denver on Fri Jun 01 2018

It?s relly a great truck for construction or farming, I relly love this vehicle but I don?t use it anymore. I don?t have the need for it because since I?d change fields. Here are some facts MPG: 17 City/ 22 Highway Horsepower: 150hp @ 5,000 rpm Towing Capacity: 6,060 lbs Curb Weight: 3030 lbs

Practical and durable truck

by PBurnette from Weaverville, NC on Fri Nov 17 2017

First vehicle purchased for our son and has been very practical and durable. The car has been dependable for > 150K miles so far. Easy to drive and haul /tow for an outdoor person.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2001 Ford Ranger

A face lift and a new twin-cam four-cylinder engine haven't totally transformed the 2001 Ford Ranger. But the changes make this best-selling compact pickup more attractive, especially in affordable XLT trim. But if you have only $16,000 to spend on a new set of wheels for yourself or perhaps your newly licensed high-school student, is the Ranger a good idea? Read on.

She: It's probably inappropriate to talk about baby showers and trucks, right? But you know me. I feel like the Ranger did not serve me well for my friend Amy's shower last Sunday. Here's why. I had to haul folding chairs, a big ham and a gift. And I was afraid to put the folding chairs in the bright-red cargo bed because I thought it... Read More