2008 Ranger

2008 Ford Ranger

2008 Ford Ranger

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have you driven the 2008 Ford Ranger?

Hoping For my Fifth Ranger

by FearTheVoices from Western New York on Fri Jun 18 2010

I have owned four Rangers over the years. Two had the 3.0L V6, one had the 2.3L and the last I owned had the 4.0L V6 with 4WD. All but the 4WD were 5 speed manual models and provided very consistent good fuel mileage, ranging from 19 city to 28 hwy (that was on a 3.0L V6). My 4.0L was the worst with probably a best average of 16 mpg, but it was also 4WD and I drove it more aggressively too. I had no mechanical breakdowns on any of these, and found them to be quite comfortable and a good handling little truck -- very fun to drive. I miss owning Rangers so much that even after getting vehicles I have been happy with, I always have gone back out looking for another Ranger eventually. I am over 6 feet tall, and though I have had three regular cab models, I suggest the Supercab model for it's extra room and ability to place small items in the cab out of the weather.

Reliable, enduring truck for the self sufficient.

by Ranger Rick from Houston on Thu Jul 30 2009

I have a 2000 Ranger XTL Extended cab 6 cyl 2wd auto trans. I ordered it with the upgraded seats. At that time they were the standard seats from an Explorer. It currently has over 206,000 mi. I am halfway though my fourth set of tires. The regular maintenance i do myself: changing Oil, Belts, Spark plugs, battery, fuel filter. It is high enough off the ground i change the oil with out jacking it up. It has been in two fender benders. I drove for 8 years 1 hr to work and 1.25 hrs from work between 0 and 40 miles per hour in stop and go traffic. during that time I took trips half way cross the country and back loaded with camping gear or funiture. It has carried pallets of bricks. It has been through flooded streets of foot deep water without a problem, over curbs and pot holes, through fields and pastures. It fits in any parking spot. it gives you an elevated view of the road. Not including accidents and regular maint. I have spent less than $3500 replacing broken parts. $2000 of that was the A/C compressor (et al) at 167,000 mi. Most parts I replaced myself. The Ranger is easy to work on. The six cyl gets disapointing milage. I get 18 -19 no matter what. Just like it always had. At 200,000 mi I was going to get a new Ranger, but i got a mustang instead. i still have the Ranger and I drive it to work every day. i am only 5 mi from work now. take care of your Ranger and it will take care of you. It is a great value. Rick

fun little truck

by danger ranger from allegany county ny on Mon Aug 25 2008

i have an 05 very basic ranger and i've put 20,000 miles on it in a year and i'v got around 28-32 miles to the gallon with a 5 speed and the i4 it's not the beefest or most powerful truck around but i can put 2 cubic yards of mulch or 1500lb od scrap steel in the back and still pull the hills around here at 55 which impresed me alot because the first time i loaded it i didnt think it would be that quick on the hills. this truck is comfortable enough that i drove 6 hours in it and i'm 6'3''.

Excellent small truck

by swordancer from henderson nevada on Sun Aug 30 2009

Five months ago I purchased my first Ford product. A Ranger XLT. So far, my experience has been great. Truck handles well, easy on gas and looks great. Cab is comfortable and gauges are easy to read. I like the general look of the truck. I do disagree with a consumer reports article that said the interior looks cheap. I also do not find that the truck requires a lot of steering input from the driver. All in all I am perfectly happy with my purchase.

It was worth it

by friscoman from vancouver, wa on Tue Mar 08 2011

Overall this truck is a great deal. I have many times wanted to trade it in for more ump however on many trips when i though it would not have that ump it make it and it performed fine,. With the 4cyl it does well on hwy keeping up, and just great in town. It;s a little light on wetness and snow, and slides very easily and need to be weighted down if not r4 wheel drive as my is not.

BEST VEHICLE OF ANY KIND I EVER OWNED

by bodz from Vancouver Canada on Thu Dec 06 2007

Hard to believe that Ford is going to cease production of the Ranger in 2009. All it really needs is some modernization and it'll be a hit for another 25 years. My 2007 Ranger, bought in '06 has been the best vehicle EVER. No problems at all, fun to drive, extremely well made, looks great and is fairly cheap on gas. I think Ford is making BIG mistake shutting ths gem down instead of putting some cosmetic ingenuity into it. Sad.

Just what I wanted

by TheTruck from Syr., NY on Mon Mar 05 2012

Very helpful, great deal. Drove it home that day. What wewanted for my trade in. Clean,great tires, handles well. LjB

Reliable Truck

by Montey from Norfolk, VA on Sun Mar 22 2009

Others may have bad ones, but I like mine, bought it used with 62,000 already on the clock, drove it a month, and replaced the engine (thanks for a warranty) have added 25,000 and still going strong. Gas milage is ok, about 22 as I do mostly highway driving. The biggest problem I have is when it rains and freezes, the drivers door always is frozen shut... This truck does what I bought it for, driving to work, hauling stuff (for the neighbors mostly)..

Wow, what a vehicle!

by Daniel from Lewisville, NC on Sat May 24 2008

I can say that this truck was the best purchase I have ever made. The Ranger's suspension is great. In my old Bronco, potholes usually proved to be nerve racking, now I can run over pot holes and speed bumbs and never even feel it. I wish though they would have put the better P255 tires on standard instead of the smaller looking P235 tires. I also wish they would have kept the stepside option as well as have manual passenger side airbag control. For a factory tuned audio system, it has a great base and overall sound quality. I used to have a tacoma with forward facing rear seats (extended cab). The Ranger's jump seats are much more comfortable and provide much more room. I can also say that there is a place to store something no matter where you look. However, the Ranger needs to raised about two inches so that it doesn't look 4x2 even though its a 4x4. I like the tire pressure monitor system. For a 4.0L V6 it has great power and excellent pickup, just needs some gas milage improvements. The suspension is extremely comfortable but needs some stiffer leaf springs for the rear. I think the sticker claiming MPG to be 14 City, and 19 Highway needs to be corrected because I get 18 City and 22-23 Highway which for a 4.0 Liter is extremely good but could be better since gas going to almost $4 per gallon. I love to drive this vehicle. Its very quiet, comfortable, with excellent outside visibility. What you get feature wise for the money is in my opinion much better than its competitors. If you like a truck that anyone can drive big or small this is a great truck to have.

Reliable, Economical and Simple

by 31Aret on Wed Mar 21 2018

The Ranger, in the base 4 cylinder manual transmission variation, is a very economical vehicle that gets unmatched mileage for even a small truck. It easily handles small jobs like hauling furniture, trash, lawn equipment and even the occasional yard of mulch. Its admittedly Jurassic mechanical design makes it simple, reliable and easy to work on for those rare occasions that repairs are needed . There is nothing similar produced anymore. If you can find one in good condition, it will last for an extraordinary amount of time.

1 2 3 4